I need some help getting motivated to play guitar again. I started playing about 2.5 years ago. For the last 12 months or so, I've been playing 1 hour every 4 weeks. This is opposed to 1 hour every 2 days before that time. Part of the reason I played consistently before was because I had an instructor for most of that time, but I can't fit that in my schedule any more.

How have you gotten yourselves or your friends interested after they stopped playing for some time?

I think that doing a guitar/equipment upgrade or some sort of modding project may help me get interested. Though I don't like the principle of purchasing material things to get myself to like something, I do remember enjoying guitar when I played more often and getting back to that state at the cost of some money spent is probably worthwhile.
The Setup:
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Crate GFX-30
Vox AD50VT
sometimes when i feel like giving up (every once in a little while) i just pop some john mayer onto the CD player and want to be as good as him, so i then grab my guitar, and either sit in my room for hours upon end creating new riffs, melodies and breakdowns and the such, never really lyrics to go with them because as soon as i think of lyrics and start singing my strumming patterns or fingerpick patterns go and i lose it all so just imagine them in my head as i'm jamming with myself then after a couple of hours if i'm satisfied with what i've done as i write chord patterns and stuff down as i go along so i can come back to them later if desired. then put the guitar down, turn the amp off, put pedals away, and smile knowing i'm not as bad as i think and i'm better than some.

it helps if you have an idol to want to be too. as i said mines john mayer. who actually said "for eight years i played guitar alone in a room, i used to pretend i was up on stage singing to thousands of people, now when i'm up on stage i pretend i'm in my room" (or something very close to that)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Is there a song/solo/thing you really like and can't play?
1-Practice
2-Practice
3-Practice
4-????
5-Be able to play said song/solo/thing
6-Profit!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
weird i have the same story.Been playing for 2-3 years. i enjoy playing guitar but after i stopped taking lessons in January i noticed i don't play as much now. I even got guitar mods planned in the future haha....sorry i cant really help you out lol
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
I usually go out and buy a CD (yes, I still buy physical CDs). If I like the CD a lot then I'll have a desire to pick up my guitar and try to make similar music. So all in all, find a couple of bands that you like A LOT and go buy their CD and listen closely to EVERYTHING.
Expose yourself to new music is the best advice you'll ever receive on this subject.

Buying yourself a new toy such as a guitar, amp, or pedal can't hurt either.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Learn new scales
Learn how to use said scales
Write songs with new scales
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Buy a Diezel VH4S stack
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Learn a new genre of music. I was feeling kind of uninspired a while ago, but then I started learning classical guitar and now I have been practicing for more hours every day than I ever have before.
I would say play in a different tuning, learn a different genre or something... but if you've been playing one hour every four weeks for a year, then you probably need to relearn the basics.