Hey guys,

Reason I am putting this in the technique forum is because a possibility of this problem is bad tech. I just got over a problem with elbow pain that was caused by tremolo picking the wrong way, but that is fixed now.

This is kind of odd however, the pain is on my fretting hand, rather than picking. My fretting hand wrist is sort of achy after I've been playing for a bit. It does dissipate quickly, but in the future it may not.

Any ideas maybe? I don't see how there's any technique involved with my fretting hand's wrist... except maybe bending it too much or something. Thanks a lot guys.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Don't grip your neck, just do the slide exercise 2/14 4/16 5/17 on any string.
Or maybe your fingers are to heavy on your fretboard... search for a feather pound and find a lower balance... not to much, not to low...
Maybe you are to nervous...
Is those things are speaking to you ? or is it something else ?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
Do you do preliminary stretches? I stretch my wrists and individual fret-hand fingers almost all day long, and never have any complaints.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Hey,
I've experienced allot of pain from playing so I've done quite a bit of research on how to get rid of it.

I've hear that the nerves on one side of the body connect to the same part of the body in the arms and legs. So tension on one side can effect the other.

You might try using a paper pick to release the tension in your picking hand. Just let it slide over the strings. Just make it out of a paperback book cover or something. Good for speed practice.

Also you might try a wrist support. I've got a set from http://newgrip.com ( I don't have any business connection except as a customer.) that I use on my motorbike and they really help support the wrist. I was getting tingling in my wrists that really freaked me out and that seemed to help.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by Roybarnett56 at Jun 23, 2010,
Well. I've tried what you guys have said, and i still get the pain on my fretting hand. I think it may be the way I curl my wrist, but I'm not sure.

The pain isn't very major, and completely dissipates within 10 minutes always, so is this really something to worry about? I mean i played today for at least 5 hours, just finished, had some pain. Now it's gone.

I'm just hoping this doesn't develop into anything in the future, any of you think it will?
Well. I've tried what you guys have said, and i still get the pain on my fretting hand. I think it may be the way I curl my wrist, but I'm not sure.

Sounds likely, tbh. When you're playing is your wrist very bent/curled? It should be pretty straight most of the time.
Yes, but only on low notes. I play a lot of Viking/folk metal like Ensiferum, and on some of the low power chords, my wrist can feel strained. So I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Maybe I should put the neck at more of an angle?

Possibly around 45 degrees or so?
Newgrip. However, that should only be the solution if you're just playing until your wrist hurts (like myself). But yeah, you could try newgrip anyway, I got a set too and it works like a DREAM.
Well, i got back up and played for a bit trying to play with a straight wrist. Seems like my wrist is normally straight anyway once I thought about it. Was very painful if I bent my wrist back/forth, so I sit down for a bit and quit playing. The pain is gone now, can still feel a little fatigue in my wrist though. Any ideas? Carpal Tunnel? Should I take a break for a day or two?
Taking a break is always a good idea. No need for injury, don't worry you won't lose any skillz you have build over the last years in not playing for 5 days or so. It may feel like it though, ha!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
If it just feels a little tired after practice, that's prolly just normal tiredness.

If you're still worried see a guitar teacher and ask them to have a look at your technique.
I used to get that when I first started playing but after a while your wrist becomes stronger and you'll find a new technique to holding the guitar without even noticing, well that's what happened to me.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Thanks a lot guys, especially you Free. Helped a lot!