Hey so I just purchased a Vox AC4TV (tube amp) and it does not have a gain/distortion knob on it. It does naturally distort when you turn it up loud but I'm living in a dorm next year so that's not feasible.

I want the sound to stretch from a light bluesy sound to a classic rock sound.

These 4 songs perfectly display the range of sounds I want to have, I'd post a video to all but the sound on this computer doesn't work so I'll only post videos to the links where I know the sound:

1. Pretending (Eric Clapton)
-The sound I want is the sound off the CD for this song.

2. Comfortably numb Solo (Pink Floyd)

3. Learning to Fly (Pink Floyd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4_zur5hjw

4. Purple Haze (Hendrix)

5. Hendrix improvising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rChHz4B-s

Are there any distortion/overdrive pedals which can obtain this range of sounds? I'll be buying a wah etc separately but what distortion/overdrive can get this range?

And what's the difference between overdrive and distortion?

Thanks a lot.
turn it to 1/4 W mode and turn it up. i didnt think the amp got all that loud when in 1/4W mode, so you should get some decent drive from there.

overdrive is a more mild form of distortion. better explanation in the FAQ, so thats a place to look for that one.
Quote by jof1029
turn it to 1/4 W mode and turn it up. i didnt think the amp got all that loud when in 1/4W mode, so you should get some decent drive from there.

overdrive is a more mild form of distortion. better explanation in the FAQ, so thats a place to look for that one.

It surprisingly does get quite loud, not terrible-but my roommate probably wouldn't be a fan.

Would an overdrive pedal be able to achieve the range of tones provided in the songs above^^ ??

Thanks.
That Clapton tone sounds like really sweet amp distortion, check the liner notes to see what he used, but you probably aren’t getting a tone like that from a pedal. A Big Muff will get you pretty close for the rest.
Quote by jpnyc
That Clapton tone sounds like really sweet amp distortion, check the liner notes to see what he used, but you probably aren’t getting a tone like that from a pedal. A Big Muff will get you pretty close for the rest.

Biff Muff distortion pedal?

Will it be able to get a very bluesy/light bluesy tone as well?

And what's the difference between distortion and overdrive pedals?
Would an Ibanez Tube Screamer be able to get all these tones??
Quote by -TM-

I would imagine if you got a good overdrive and a good fuzz, and they stacked well together, then you could get all of those tones.
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
Definitely not a distortion pedal. What budget do you have? Something like a TS9 or a Hardwire Tube Overdrive (cm-2).
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Definitely not a distortion pedal. What budget do you have? Something like a TS9 or a Hardwire Tube Overdrive (cm-2).

I have ~300 to get a wah and overdrive but I'd like to spend less if I can of course.

I've been listening to the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mofset on youtube, what do you guys think of that? I'm not sure if it will be rocky enough but seems pretty close.
I'd say your best bet is to get an overdrive that will push the amp. Maybe a tubescreamer? (I was recently impressed by the Digitech Bad Monkey if You're on a budget)

EDIT: Now that I think about it you might need a little more for some of the stuff you mentioned (Like Purple Haze).

Maybe look at a fuzz pedal aswell. I'd strongly suggest playing a Big Muff yourself before you buy one. After watching loads of videos and listening to loads of sound clips I got a Russian one and soon learned it just wasn't really for me.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 22, 2010,
A Fuzz Face type pedal might work well. Most likely you'll need 2 pedals.

I'd say a Bad Monkey and a Little Big Muff maybe. Unsure what FF style fuzz you can get on the cheap.
Quote by -TM-

yes.

the other guitarist in my band used a TS9 with his ac4 and it sounded amazing.
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
Most of those are fuzz, any big muff or fuzz face variation will do. I'm a huge fan of stomp under foot fuzz clones. But the standard US big muff will also be fine.

For the Clapton one, you'll want an OD pedal, though it won't be able to nail it. I'm not sure if you find it reasonable to get both an OD and fuzz at this budget, you can probably get most of the sounds you want from the fuzz..
Muff wont really do jimi too well tbh Maybe on low gain settings stacked with an OD.

Maybe something like the MI Audio blues pro, its an overdrive but has a switch to add some fuzz. Sounds quite sweet from demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpUZQ6wIdo
+1 with forsaknazrael. there is some functional differences, but not really hardline and concrete differences.

i have some difference of opinion here with other posts.

Definitely not a distortion pedal.

there are distortion pedals that fit the bill. usually turning the gain down on them and using the volume knob on the guitar to roll off some input signal can get you some very favorable and amp like tones. i mainly speak from experience with moding DS-1's and rat distortion pedals, more amp-like tones have been achieved with LEDs in the diode clipping section.

also, overdrive is generally less aggressive and usually more transparent than distortion pedals, think 'less buzz saw and more saturation'. when achieving the tones you mentioned in your original post i opt for just a bit of od with a healthy amount of volume,

my thoughts on the TS-9, not a bad pedal. not what i would call a 'transparent' od as it tends to color the tone quite a bit (bit on the midsy/bright side) which is great for taming a 'dark' amplifier. some people like the TS-9 and some don't. the good thing is that a TS-9 is readily available at most guitar shops and your amp is plenty small enough to take it there to try it out. i would def recommend a test run on a TS-9 before committing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae