I guess I'm pretty good at it. What song do you want tabbed?

Also, this could be the wrong forum.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
My dog came into my room while I was fapping.
I couldn't look Wolfie in the eye for a week.
Maybe the problem is to get the song by ear. Dunno.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Ah! And sorry 'bout my mediocre english. D:
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Learn the song by ear and then write it down in tablature. What is there to be bad at?

Seriously... You can't be THAT stupid.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
In songs where the lead guitar shifts into a blur of legato and etc, it's hard to hear the guitar because it's hidden among the mix.
Do you have any ideas on how to solve what the guy is playing?
Last edited by stargazer5000 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
There are programs on the web that make figuring songs out incredibly easy. Maybe you're THAT stupid if you think it's a really difficult skill.

I didn't say that it's a really difficult skill.

Also, do you have links for these programs? I never heard of them, and I'm very interested.
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
I'm with the threadstarter here. I just don't know how I'm supposed to start "training my ear", by playing? Listening? Trying to play what I hear? What the **** am I meant to do?
Finally!
Someone else!
I thought i was the only one!
I ask a simple question and the bloggers just start argueing!
Some help us please.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
I'm with the threadstarter here. I just don't know how I'm supposed to start "training my ear", by playing? Listening? Trying to play what I hear? What the **** am I meant to do?

I've been playing guitar for three and a half years now, and wondered the same thing a couple years ago. More recently I'm able to pick apart songs(very slowly right now), and figure it out. It just takes a shitload of time, and practice, and listening to songs and chords. Music theory helps a lot too, and in the end some people are just born with the ability to do it. My teacher has been playing 37 years and when we play in church sometimes and don't have the chords, he sits there humming the song to himself for 2 minutes and all of a sudden has the entire sheet of chords written out.
There's a way to change the EQ balance. I have FL studio so I can always use that, but I'm sure there are other programs that don't cost as much that can do the same thing (not sure if audacity does that).

EDIT: Also, slowing down the track helps a lot for those solos.
it is something that takes time, what you should practice is just taking the song very slowly, with a riff, and just hear one note. Then hum that note to your self, making sure it is the right pitch. Then find it on your guitar. If you have a piano, it can be very helpful too, as it will help you get the pitches down better along with their names.

Other than that, it is a lot of practice. You don't need perfect pitch, all you need is good relative pitch, which is knowing how two notes play along with each other, i.e. major third makes it happier versus a minor third makes it sadder, as that is what determines a major or minor chord. Also, making sure you can tell when two notes are the same.

To practice, other than picking your way through songs, try using a piano to tune your guitar, and singing along to songs that actually have a good clear vocal part, making sure that you are hitting the correct notes.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by YourMomToTheMaX
I didn't say that it's a really difficult skill.

Also, do you have links for these programs? I never heard of them, and I'm very interested.

transcribe! is one I used to use for verifying nps claims in the fastest guitarist thread. I also started using it to figure out songs without referring to tabs.

you can slow the song down but keep its pitch, highlight a certain section and have it play in a loop, I think you could even cut a range of frequencies to hear the others better.

It's not free but it's not hard to acquire.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by MonkeyLink07
it is something that takes time, what you should practice is just taking the song very slowly, with a riff, and just hear one note. Then hum that note to your self, making sure it is the right pitch. Then find it on your guitar. If you have a piano, it can be very helpful too, as it will help you get the pitches down better along with their names.

Other than that, it is a lot of practice. You don't need perfect pitch, all you need is good relative pitch, which is knowing how two notes play along with each other, i.e. major third makes it happier versus a minor third makes it sadder, as that is what determines a major or minor chord. Also, making sure you can tell when two notes are the same.

To practice, other than picking your way through songs, try using a piano to tune your guitar, and singing along to songs that actually have a good clear vocal part, making sure that you are hitting the correct notes.

You've just put in words every single tought I have on this topic.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
transcribe! is one I used to use for verifying nps claims in the fastest guitarist thread. I also started using it to figure out songs without referring to tabs.

you can slow the song down but keep its pitch, highlight a certain section and have it play in a loop, I think you could even cut a range of frequencies to hear the others better.

It's not free but it's not hard to acquire.

I see

Sounds pretty sweet, I'll try and get it. Thanks!

Also, I can figure out solos and riffs pretty well, but I never seem to find the right chords. Any advices on that?
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
Quote by YourMomToTheMaX
Also, I can figure out solos and riffs pretty well, but I never seem to find the right chords. Any advices on that?

not really, unless it's a basic major or minor I'm pretty shit myself.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Basically you just try to play it, and write down what sounds right. That's what I do when I'm trying to figure out a song, and I can't find tabs.

IRISH_EDIT: Also this is a off topic, but I'm curious. Is your name a reference to Mother love bone TS?
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Jun 22, 2010,
Amazing Slow Downer, get it. Then it's just time, patience, and some decent pair of ears.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Alright, let's see...
Basic website that help a metric-fuckton:
Http://www.good-ear.com

If you just want to transcribe songs then go about and learn some of the basic scales, and assuming you don't try and commit musical suicide by trying to transcribe progressive rock, the scales you'll need are the basic major, minor, pentatonic minor and pentatonic major, along with basic chords. After that, you can look at some basic songs and just hammer around for a while and when you hit the right note, you can write it down.
This method will get you into transcribing the fastest, but it'll take you a lot longer to actually transcribe a song

Now, Good-ear will help you "train" your ear, the beginner section will help you determine intervals (the distance between two notes) and the difference between major and minor chords. The website does this by playing two notes for you and you select the answer below the player.
If you've never done this, then it'll be pretty hit an miss for a while. "training" your ear is strangely easy, you just need to keep at it. And by keep at it, I mean do it every day. It doesn't have to be for hours, a good ten minutes per day will do, but the longer you spend, the quicker you'll develop your ear.
Once your ear is to a good standard (this is determined by you), you shouldn't stop using the website, just to keep your ability nice and fresh.
There's also a section for chords as well, the beginner section will get you acquainted with the major and minor chords and the more advanced sections will add more "odd" chords.
Eventually you'll be able to tell a major 7th from a Dominant 7th and a harmonic minor scale from a melodic minor scale.

This method takes a while longer I'll admit, but after a week you'll certainly have a much better ear, and it's a lot easier to listen to a song and go " that's a blues scale with major 7th chords!" than dicking about for an hour trying to figure out the next bloody note.

hope this helps.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄