Last Saturday i got a 5150 II and Line 6 4x12" cab all for $800 (was originally $1000). The guy i bought it from thought the line 6 had v30's in it. Due to some deductive reasoning, i determined the amp to be a spider IV 4x12" cab with CUSTOM selection speakers. Which are not as good as the v30's. The reason I noticed this was due to the cab watts, this cab is 320w where a cab with v30's would be a 240w.

So naturally, I refuse to post a NAD with a shitty cabinet.
Note: The difference between the line 6 spider IV ($300) and Vetta 4x12 ($700 w/ v30's) is vast, so is the difference in sound quality.

This is my first tube amp, so i couldn't really tell what shitty speakers sounded like, but its good to know my amp can sound much better.

That brings me to my point; i need a good cab.

I've decided i dont want to be hauling a massive 4x12" up and down my basement steps, so I want a high quality 2x12" cab.

In terms of sound I want a cab that doesn't mud up when i crank my amp, something built really solid. I don't scoop my mids or anything so i dont need a shit ton of low end, rather decently focused mids. I'm also only looking for v30's loaded in this cab.

I play alot of metal and hardcore including grindcore and shit like that, so i want a cab that can handle a 7-string guitar (planning on getting one once i figure out this amp thing)

I'm willing to spend around $650 USD for this 2x12" cab and i live in the states (midwest), thanks guys!

edit: Closed back 2x12**
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Last edited by DakoRob at Jun 22, 2010,
Okay...I just want to know one thing then we can go from there. Have you opened up this cab yet? I mean just to make sure...
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Okay...I just want to know one thing then we can go from there. Have you opened up this cab yet? I mean just to make sure...

No, the guy i got it from was told it had v30's in it. I checked all the sites that had any line 6 similar to this one and the wattage and ohms matched up, so it has to be a spider IV 4x12.

My guess is the guy lied to him when he sold it and the guy i got it from didn't pick up on it, seeing as how the vetta and spider cabs are nearly identical in looks.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by Edgecrsuher

just edited, looking for closed back
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Mesa/Boogie, Avatar, Lopoline, Splawn, Orange, Soldano, Ear Candy...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by DakoRob
No, the guy i got it from was told it had v30's in it. I checked all the sites that had any line 6 similar to this one and the wattage and ohms matched up, so it has to be a spider IV 4x12.

My guess is the guy lied to him when he sold it and the guy i got it from didn't pick up on it, seeing as how the vetta and spider cabs are nearly identical in looks.

maybe the guy put in the speakers? its worth checking, imagine buying another cabinet only to find out that the original one had vintage 30's in it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
maybe the guy put in the speakers? its worth checking, imagine buying another cabinet only to find out that the original one had vintage 30's in it

Part of my suspicion is the sound of the cab, its not warm like celestion v30s are described to be. the sound is harsh with my 5150 II and I only have the high set on 5 and presence on like 6.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
I don't consider V30s warm at all. I consider them bright and harsh with an annoying, grinding top end.

But that's just my opinion. Honestly, just pull the back cover off and check. It'll take about 5 minutes. If the speakers have been replaced, then you don't know what the wattage of the cab is. Sometimes people put good speakers into crappy cabs. I have a friend who has EVs in a tiny MG 412 cab. It sounds horrible, but if someone were to buy it, they might also think that it was just another cheap MG cabinet. If you don't know what the 5150 II is supposed to sound like then you really have no idea if the speakers are V30s or not. It could just be the case that you may not like the 5150 II's tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 22, 2010,
^who knows, for all we know maybe it turns out vintage 30's just arent your cup of tea and you should go for a different kind, because vintage 30's have a lot of high end
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Build one man. It's like the one part of your rig that's easy to build. You just need to know the tiniest bit about wiring, and a little bit about soldering.

I built one, great decision.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
Quote by al112987
I don't consider V30s warm at all. I consider them bright and harsh with an annoying, grinding top end.

But that's just my opinion. Honestly, just pull the back cover off and check. It'll take about 5 minutes. If the speakers have been replaced, then you don't know what the wattage of the cab is. Sometimes people put good speakers into crappy cabs. I have a friend who has EVs in a tiny MG 412 cab. It sounds horrible, but if someone were to buy it, they might also think that it was just another cheap MG cabinet. If you don't know what the 5150 II is supposed to sound like then you really have no idea if the speakers are V30s or not. It could just be the case that you may not like the 5150 II's tone.

Just opened the damn cab (took forever cuz every other screw was stripped). And they're the customs... not the v30s, i was right...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
Part of my suspicion is the sound of the cab, its not warm like celestion v30s are described to be.
lol okayy

ANyway, Spider cabs have custom speakers dseigned for amp modelling therefore don't colour the sound much. Tbh speakers don't make as much difference as you are making out imo, and it may just be that you don't like the tone of the amp, as al said
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
lol okayy

ANyway, Spider cabs have custom speakers dseigned for amp modelling therefore don't colour the sound much. Tbh speakers don't make as much difference as you are making out imo, and it may just be that you don't like the tone of the amp, as al said

Let me be clear.

I'm not upset with the way my amp sounds at the moment. I was under the impression when i bought it that it had v30s (which happen to be the speaker for alot of guitarists). Instead, i find shittier speakers instead, so i wasn't pleased.

Also: its more the just the speakers, this cab is VERY poorly constructed compared to a mesa or an orange amp, so i want a replacement either way.

The construction of the cab is important, as are the speakers. I made this thread to search for a great 2x12 because I wanted to downsize, get better speakers, and have a better constructed cab.

I'm planning on going to my local store today or tomorrow to really see what the difference in tone between cabs is, i expect it to be a bit more vast than what you believe the difference is.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
Quote by AcousticMirror
grab a stone age or a mills acoustic problem solved 4 ever.

I really want a mills but their 2x12" is way overpriced.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1

Got Djent?
If you're in the States, Avatar makes a great 2x12. Many of us here have them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!