im lookin to get a string change. and i havent done this alot. i really havent triend many different types of strings. the bass i usually play is a Squire J bass. now the type of punk i play is with a pick, fast and unique. like nofx and antiflag. i like rather low action. and i usually play with a thinner pick. i was wondering what kind of strings i should get. i was looking into slinky, but never got a chance to try these. what do you guys recomend? thanks for the help.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
ernie balls sound good but dont last very long.
rotosounds are VERY bright but last quite a while.

/generic response
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Ernie Ball = utter shit. Not worth the money. Mine never lasted more than a week, felt horrible and sounded terrible after a very short waste of time.

Rotosound = last forever, very bright. I've had my Swing 66s on for nearly 8 months and they're just finally getting to that "dead" tone some bassists like.

I'm not sure about other brands but I play punk too, and I recommend Rotosound Swing 66s, probably 45-105 are best. I use 40-100 at the moment and they are on the thin side.

The funny thing is, Ernie Balls are usually the most expensive here, and they're by far the worst strings I've ever used, bass or guitar.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jun 22, 2010,
EBs are good for punk, relatively cheap if you live in No America. I used to use the Hybrids or Super Slinkies. But in the end you spend more because they do go dead quite quickly.

Roto 66 or Stadium elites work well for punk. And last a great deal longer.
i like ernie ball super slinkies and always have done. if you wipe down after every time u play, they will last longer. you can also boil them up and re-use.
Elixers. They sound essentially the same as EB but last infinitely longer. I also find them a little punchier and fatter than EB personally
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Ernie Ball = utter shit. Not worth the money. Mine never lasted more than a week, felt horrible and sounded terrible after a very short waste of time.

My STAINLESS STEEL Ernie Balls have lasted 14 months, then again I prefer worn out strings.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by SoftlySpokenLas
i like ernie ball super slinkies and always have done. if you wipe down after every time u play, they will last longer. you can also boil them up and re-use.

Boiling isn't really a long term option though, eventually if the grime from your body won't ruin them, the tension they're under will.

Quote by Vampire 255
My STAINLESS STEEL Ernie Balls have lasted 14 months, then again I prefer worn out strings.

I can't remember what type of Ernie Balls I used but they went dead after about 3 weeks, seriously. They were the biggest pile of crap I've ever used. I bought them thinking they'd be great because most of my favourite bassists use them, I was very disappointed. I'm not even the type of guy who likes really bright strings, I just couldn't understand how they sounded so bad so quickly.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I personally love Ernie Balls. They go flat kinda quickly, but not completely flat, they just sort of float in the middle for a long time, and they sound good when they're at that point. Not the strings I'd use if I wanted the permanently brightest strings (so not ideal for punk), but they're certainly not shite, I use them on my P bass most of the time.

Oh, and for the TS, you might wanna check out DR strings. I had a pair once a while ago, they lasted forever and sounded good... it's a shame they're hard to come by around here.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
I can't remember what type of Ernie Balls I used but they went dead after about 3 weeks, seriously. They were the biggest pile of crap I've ever used. I bought them thinking they'd be great because most of my favourite bassists use them, I was very disappointed. I'm not even the type of guy who likes really bright strings, I just couldn't understand how they sounded so bad so quickly.

You probably bought the nickel ones. And like I said I prefer worn out strings.

Quote by Ziphoblat
Oh, and for the TS, you might wanna check out DR strings. I had a pair once a while ago, they lasted forever and sounded good... it's a shame they're hard to come by around here.

Try there for strings. I can't find my stainless steel Ernie Balls around here but they have them on there.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Jun 23, 2010,
I personally use DR strings, they are made of win and will last incredibly long. I recommend them.

Rotos will be more agressive and fit your style better.

But in all honesty, try both, hell try all strings you can 'till you find your tone.
DR and Roto would both be good, I'd suggest Roto, Guitar Center used to let you buy 2 sets at a time for 30 bucks.

Carvin makes excellent strings as well, stick to the stainless steel I'd say.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom