I will be buying a new amp very soon and here are the two I am looking at.

A used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Stock everything. $550

1977 Fender Twin Reverb(Silverface). Has been retubed and had 2 Vintage 30's put in it. $550.

I play a lot of blues/classic rock(Black Keys, Zeppelin, Cream, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Hendrix, etc.) and some modern/alternative/indie(White Stripes, the Dead Weather, Muse, Phoenix, Tegan and Sara, Explosions in the Sky, etc.) Which would be the better amp tone wise do you guys think? Feel free to suggest other amps. I am willing to go up to about $750 USD. Thanks.
MY GEAR

Guitars
- Gibson SG Standard(Ebony)
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
- MadeByMike Custom Overdrive
- HBE Germania 44
They're both about the same really, good cleans you'll need pedals for any real heavy stuff.

I'd love to find a DRRI that cheap over here.
Also, anybody had experience with the Carvin Bel Air?
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
I have been thinking about the same question. I play basically the same things that you do, and I've been looking at a lot of vintage twin reverbs. Personally, I think they sound better than the newer Deluxe Reverbs. I know that Dean Fertita of the Dead Weather uses a Blackface vintage Twin Reverb, and Jack uses one for the white stipes and raconteurs. If i were you, I would get the Silverface twin reverb, and get it blackfaced. I believe "blackfacing" can cost from $50.00 to our $250.00 USD depending on the circuit board and other components. Thats my plan, but its really a personal thing. They sound similar, but vintage is always cooler!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Honestly both would be poor choices for what you want to play. The voicing is completely wrong. Try something like an Egnater Rebel or Tweaker, Vox Night Train, Jet City JCA50, Traynors, etc. You want something more middy and British voiced than a Twin or Deluxe.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Both great amps. With the Twin you're going to have loudness issues though. The DRRI with it's lower wattage and small speaker will give you a nice tighty punchy tone that will break up at a volume that's not going to annoy everyone on your street. Looking at what you want to play you'll need a degree of that I think.

A comparable amp to cast an eye at would be a Vox AC30 I reckon.

Also I'm picking up my DRRI next monday so I'll let you know how life with it is
Quote by Duv
Both great amps. With the Twin you're going to have loudness issues though. The DRRI with it's lower wattage and small speaker will give you a nice tighty punchy tone that will break up at a volume that's not going to annoy everyone on your street. Looking at what you want to play you'll need a degree of that I think.

A comparable amp to cast an eye at would be a Vox AC30 I reckon.

Also I'm picking up my DRRI next monday so I'll let you know how life with it is

Do you like the new AC Custom line or the custom Classics?
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
There's a huge difference between the two in terms of volume. Both will need help in order to do serious distortion.

I would take the DRRI over the silverface Twin unless you're playing big rooms. If I was going to use that twin, I'd probably mod it for the kind of stuff you're doing.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Even Bigger D
There's a huge difference between the two in terms of volume. Both will need help in order to do serious distortion.

I would take the DRRI over the silverface Twin unless you're playing big rooms. If I was going to use that twin, I'd probably mod it for the kind of stuff you're doing.

I am very much aware of the wattage and loudness difference. Ok, now I am stuck between a Carvin BelAir or an Vox AC30..... help?
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
Vintage 30's seem like they would be annoying speakers to have in a Twin. Hard to control brightness is always a thing that ends up turning me off from most Fender amps and V30's are bright speakers as it is.

If you're gonna go with one of those 2, OP, then I'd say the Deluxe. You'll be happier with the amount of breakup you can get at humanly tolerable volume levels.

I do agree with mmolteratx about getting something british voiced. AC30 (but that will be tough to find in your price range) and the new Bugera BC-30. I think the BC-30 sounds great from the clips I've heard(havent actually tried one!), nails the tones you're looking for, and is even well within your budget.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
Vintage 30's seem like they would be annoying speakers to have in a Twin. Hard to control brightness is always a thing that ends up turning me off from most Fender amps and V30's are bright speakers as it is.

If you're gonna go with one of those 2, OP, then I'd say the Deluxe. You'll be happier with the amount of breakup you can get at humanly tolerable volume levels.

I do agree with mmolteratx about getting something british voiced. AC30 (but that will be tough to find in your price range) and the new Bugera BC-30. I think the BC-30 sounds great from the clips I've heard(havent actually tried one!), nails the tones you're looking for, and is even well within your budget.

Hmmm..... *gets past bad Bugera rep and goes and checks it out* DAMN YOU! Ok.... Now between the Carvin BelAir and the BC-30. Only thing about the Bugera I don't like is the speakers.
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
I don't want to stir the pot even more but if you're looking at Bugera, look at Jet City as well. I can't honestly recommend it with any confidence seeing that I've never played one, but my 20 watter should be coming in the mail soon (I couldn't resist at $270...). I don't expect it to displace my Metro but it was so cheap...

Basically, Mike Soldano and two other guys decided they was going to make amps that normal people can afford and started JCA. Has that sort of Marshall hot-rod tone, the 50-100 watters are basically the poor man's Soldano Hot-Rods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ugGxWnKqMw

That's the 100 watter. 50 watter is the same, 2 channel amp just smaller. The clean channel sounds pretty good with the gain up (starting at about 3:22). Great for '70s hard rock. Has that sort of klunk-y tone ala early Jimmy Page. I don't love the OD channel though, too buzzy and overdriven for my tastes.

Supposedly much better quality than Bugeras. They have gut shots all over their facebook page. Nice looking PCB, good layout, good traces, designed by Mike Soldano. Cabs all made of ply, company is transparent and listens to their customers. Definitely worth a look. Only short coming I could really see is that it has too much gain (but no one is making you use the OD channel), and the design kind of reminds me of...

Last edited by al112987 at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Bright Light

i completely second the bolded text.

i personally have had excellent luck with egnater. its worth a look.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^^+1 and ^+1

TS, you really should be looking at the other amps I recommended as well. The Bel-Air is definitely not the highlight of Carvin's line and the BC30 is just okay IMO. The lack of EF86 makes me angry.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Ok, throw em at me and ill eliminate.
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by guitarzephyr
Do you like the new AC Custom line or the custom Classics?

I like both. At C2 I played was a C2X and it sounded fantastic. Only issue is apparently it's made of very poor wood which is shameful for an amp for that price. Also it's new so there are limited options used.

The CC2 is good as well. Many more around as it's an older amp. Mighty loud but also with a nice bit of bite to it.

Try them and see what you like. Again they're very loud for home use though...
Ok, now here is what I am looking at:

Bugera BC30
Traynor YCV40
AC15 Custom

Discuss.....
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by mmolteratx
Honestly both would be poor choices for what you want to play. The voicing is completely wrong. Try something like an Egnater Rebel or Tweaker, Vox Night Train, Jet City JCA50, Traynors, etc. You want something more middy and British voiced than a Twin or Deluxe.

I completely disagree. They are great amps for playing blues and classic rock. The other day I was trying out different pedals trying to emulate an old marshall plexi. I tried all of them playing a 1970's Les Paul Custom, and it sounded almost identical to an actual marshall. If you are going to use pedals, rather than really overdriving the amp, I would highly recommend a Twin Reverb or deluxe reverb. They rock. I would also check out an Orange Tiny Terror. I've never gotten to use one, but from other, better Orange amps, I've been able to achieve great natural overdrives are lower levels.

EDIT: i tried out one of the newer custom made in china Vox AC15, they sound great just guitar to amp!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 23, 2010,
what about orange twin terror.

sorry tiny terror combo used
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
what about orange twin terror.

sorry tiny terror combo used

Good amp, but I am looking for an amp that is about 20-40 watts. How is Traynor's rep?
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
they head of the dual terror is 30 watts and 800 bucks. your avatar should do the job fine for a cab. i dunno for anything classic and zeppelin i recommend orange
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by Skagasm
they head of the dual terror is 30 watts and 800 bucks. your avatar should do the job fine for a cab. i dunno for anything classic and zeppelin i recommend orange

I need more beautiful cleans than that can offer. Basically what I am looking for is an amp with GORGEOUS, i mean gorgeous cleans, takes pedals extremely well, and preferably has an EQ and effects loop.
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by guitarzephyr
I need more beautiful cleans than that can offer. Basically what I am looking for is an amp with GORGEOUS, i mean gorgeous cleans, takes pedals extremely well, and preferably has an EQ and effects loop.

cant you use your guitars volume knob to get the clean tone you want i mean if all you want is clean with pedals that i guess a fender twin but the silverface is crap also the bands you like use amp overdrive so an amp you can overload a bit will give you the best tones.
roland AC90

Quote by Skagasm
cant you use your guitars volume knob to get the clean tone you want i mean if all you want is clean with pedals that i guess a fender twin but the silverface is crap also the bands you like use amp overdrive so an amp you can overload a bit will give you the best tones.

I am just not a huge fan of the Tiny Terror or the Dual Terror. Thats all. I am still heavily considering a Bugera BC30 though. I love it and with a speaker replacement, I think it will do what I need.
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by guitarzephyr
I am just not a huge fan of the Tiny Terror or the Dual Terror. Thats all. I am still heavily considering a Bugera BC30 though. I love it and with a speaker replacement, I think it will do what I need.

ok lol im trying to force you to get an orange, just lookin at your setup and what you want the bc-30 which is el-84 based wont give you want you want which is el-34. i mean the beatles, radiohead, queen use the vox template while led zep and all them use el-34 or marshally types. the choice is yours in the end but tube type is an essential thing to consider
roland AC90

The Dual Terror and Tiny Terror are both el-84 based.

Orange is not the answer for everything. Imo the Tiny Terror and Dual Terror are too dark and fuzzy and honestly doesn't sound all that great for Zeppelin stuff, just my opinion. It's not really all that much better than something like the BC-30, though I don't really find either to be all that close. The BC-30 is a poor man's Matchless C30. Something like the Jet City would be much closer to a Marshall than either. The JCA20h is basically a lower powered version of the Soldano SLO's crunch channel, which is basically a hot-rodded Marshall JMP.

Traynor's are good amps. They're a solid option, but sometimes I feel like they lack a little bit of character and sound a little bit plain and 1-dimensional. I would still rather have a YCV40 than an Orange Dual Terror. But thats just me. The only Orange that I don't hate is the AD30.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 23, 2010,
I saw The Black Keys last night, there was a Fender Twin on stage that Dan was using, in response to whoever said it's a bad choice.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Last edited by FuzzLove at Jun 23, 2010,
Will all this, I think I have found it. A Traynor YCV50. Great solid amp and its what I am looking for exactly. Now one more quick question. Could I run this amp with my cabinet as an extension cab even though my cab is only 30 watts? The amp comes with a vintage 30 in it.
MY GEAR

Guitars
Amps
- Vox AC30
Pedals
- Vox V487A Wah
- SansAmp Classic
- HBE Germania 44
Quote by guitarzephyr
Will all this, I think I have found it. A Traynor YCV50. Great solid amp and its what I am looking for exactly. Now one more quick question. Could I run this amp with my cabinet as an extension cab even though my cab is only 30 watts? The amp comes with a vintage 30 in it.

that's a great amp. it should suit what you want to play very well, and has very nice cleans. british voiced.

i was going to say that with the need for a loop both fenders you listed would be out anyway.

i'm pretty sure the vintage 30 that comes in the ycv50 is the 60 watt version of the speaker. i can't answer your question with regards to the 30 watt version as a cab as i am not sure if it's shared with the internal speaker of the amp. if it is, then it should be fine but i'll let someone who is sure answer. congrats.