With my old computer being a piece of garbage that i will throw off my roof any day out of pure rage and an incoming paycheck, i decided that i would like to get a laptop.

I'm looking for something to play games on (age of empire style games and wow) as well as other basic computer stuff (internet, work programs like word and powerpoint, etc.). I have a budget of around 500$ atm.

Anyone know a decent laptop with these features for that price range?
i'd check on g4tv.com under attack of the show and then under gadget pr0n
Quote by JacobTheMe
Yeah, the movie was complete tat.

Avoid, unless you enjoy ruining things that you enjoy.

You can call me Cam, Cameron, or any other variation
Mortal Enemies with Primus2112
And everybody's singin'la, la la la, la la la
'putah thread
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
$500 dollars for a gaming laptop isnt really going to cut it.
Laptops always cost more because of the engineering required to make everything work in such a small enclosure.
You could spend $500 on a decent gaming desktop, but the same technology in a laptop will be 800$.

If you really want a laptop that can game with the graphics on medium or higher in my opinion you need $1000+.
If you still want a laptop I would say - Get a 300$ Netbook type laptop. Get an Xbox,Ps3, with the remaining money..

A gaming laptop just isnt worth it.

Stay desktop if you want to game in my opinion.

That being said --- check out Alienware Computers - they are the industry leader in laptop windows based gaming.
For Mac, you are looking at the MacBook Pro series laptops.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
FAIL,
You play WoW. You honestly dont need to be registered on this site. Some one quote this

i dont want to start a debate about this, i play this game and i like it, so GTFO if u dont have anything constructive to say.
Quote by JJ2003
$500 dollars for a gaming laptop isnt really going to cut it.
Laptops always cost more because of the engineering required to make everything work in such a small enclosure.
You could spend $500 on a decent gaming desktop, but the same technology in a laptop will be 800$.

If you really want a laptop that can game with the graphics on medium or higher in my opinion you need $1000+.
If you still want a laptop I would say - Get a 300$ Netbook type laptop. Get an Xbox,Ps3, with the remaining money..

A gaming laptop just isnt worth it.

Stay desktop if you want to game in my opinion.

That being said --- check out Alienware Computers - they are the industry leader in laptop windows based gaming.
For Mac, you are looking at the MacBook Pro series laptops.

Thanks for the info. I guess a desktop would be better, its just that i like the portability of a laptop. Any suggestions for a good desktop?
Quote by blurpify
Thanks for the info. I guess a desktop would be better, its just that i like the portability of a laptop. Any suggestions for a good desktop?

If you want to take the time to learn a few things and get some cheap but awesome parts, I would build it yourself.

But other than that your really stuck with Dell and just building one online, getting it shipped out to you.

Again, check out Alienware. The are a subsidiary of Dell.
Look at Toshiba and Asus. They're the best quality, stomping out HP and Dell for longevity(HP Screens burn out after about a year, and Dell is flat out a piece of shit.)

Toshiba has a new laptop out that has the intel i7 and a GeForce 3600 that's selling at Best Buy for $900.

Asus is a motherboard company that makes some the top of the line motherboards on the market, I have one in my desktop (self built of course) which is running and i7, 6gb ram, and a couple Nvidia GTX 285 's. Asus might be above your price range, but you won't get anything decent, laptop wise that is for $500.

If I were you I would look for the Toshiba I mentioned. Their laptops are ballin.

Oh and now matter what you hear, Alienware is a waste of money, your paying all that extra money for a case that looks sexy, but doesn't cool for shit.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Last edited by Arch1119 at Jun 22, 2010,
kk, thanks for the help. I'll take a look at some toshibas and i'll save up a bit more money. But just so u know, im not a hardcore gamer, im just a casual who likes to play in his spare time.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
FAIL,
You play WoW. You honestly dont need to be registered on this site. Some one quote this

Age estimation: 12 or under
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Alienware are the Apple of PCs. Half the price is paying for the brand. The difference here is you CAN get the same thing for cheaper.

TS if I were you I'd buy a netbook first, something you can do basic computage on. That won't be much more than $350. From there you can build a desktop that does whatever you want it to, and you can save a ton on it since the specs you're looking for are outdated by building.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by blurpify
kk, thanks for the help. I'll take a look at some toshibas and i'll save up a bit more money. But just so u know, im not a hardcore gamer, im just a casual who likes to play in his spare time.

If you play WoW then I'm going to call bullshit on that ha ha. My vocalist plays that game way to much. I kid you not, from 9 p.m. to 7-8 a.m. that's what he's doing.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by Arch1119
If you play WoW then I'm going to call bullshit on that ha ha. My vocalist plays that game way to much. I kid you not, from 9 p.m. to 7-8 a.m. that's what he's doing.

...that guy have no life, just like my cousin....
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by SteveHouse
Alienware are the Apple of PCs. Half the price is paying for the brand. The difference here is you CAN get the same thing for cheaper.

TS if I were you I'd buy a netbook first, something you can do basic computage on. That won't be much more than $350. From there you can build a desktop that does whatever you want it to, and you can save a ton on it since the specs you're looking for are outdated by building.

i have to admit, even though i spend a lot of time on computers, i know jack shit about them. i wouldn't know where to even start to do that

just looking for something simple to play a few games and do all the other basic computer stuff
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
...that guy have no life, just like my cousin....

Win.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by Arch1119

lol, whatever man, believe wat u want. i havent played in a month, i usually take a brake every time my game time finishes cause i get tired of playing it after a while, and even then i only play when i have nothing else to do. It hasnt affected my social life in any way.
Better conclusion, build it a desktop, it's cheaper and really simple to do, I built my first compy when I was 13.
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Quote by blurpify
i have to admit, even though i spend a lot of time on computers, i know jack shit about them. i wouldn't know where to even start to do that

just looking for something simple to play a few games and do all the other basic computer stuff

As has been said, to play games on a laptop you'll have to drop some money.

Building a computer is really really easy dude. There's three steps.

1. Pick out your parts. Make sure they're compatible with each other. They pretty much will say whether they are, but if you're in doubt, the Computer Thread loves to help out with that sort of thing.

2. Put the pieces together. It's like a really easy puzzle that comes with instructions.

3. Show off that shit. People who don't know how to build are wowed buy it. Especially if you get a case with a window or lighted fans.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Arch1119
Better conclusion, build it a desktop, it's cheaper and really simple to do, I built my first compy when I was 13.

i built one few month back, still regret for not wait for the Phenom X6
Quote by angusfan16
Built one last fall around an i5 750

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Intel is overrated :/
Quote by angusfan16
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
shittiest lappy that can run WOW, me think

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115733

Uh... no. You're an idiot.

Anyway, as a few other people have said, just build it yourself. If you know someone who knows what they're doing, you should ask them for help.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Last edited by HailSlaytan at Jun 22, 2010,
If all he wants to play is WoW and Age of Empires, a laptop isn't an expensive option in my opinion...

My laptop plays WoW perfectly and it was $650 back in 2007, I'd assume prices have gone down quite a bit since then since my mom has a computer more than twice as good as mine and it was a hundred dollars cheaper last year or so.

If he wants to plays games like First Person Shooters, or more newer games, yeah I guess a desktop is the way to go. But if he just wants to casually play WoW and Age of Empires, I think a laptop would be a better option.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
FAIL,

gtfo.

my friend Garrett, who probably know more about computers than most on this forum, bought a Gateway for around $500. 17 inch screen, plays games all the time.

he bought it a few days after i bought my MacBook, and honestly, i was a little jealous of it.
if you want to go with a Windows computer, i'd suggest checking one of the Gateway laptops out.
alright so now laptops are back in the picture? lol this is getting confusing. But you're right, im only planning on putting wow and maybe one other game on the computer, so im not looking for a hardcore gaming computer.

now to post what i came here to post in the first place before seeing laptops were viable again

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-computers-quad-core-gaming-computer-W0QQAdIdZ213328402

looks like a good computer for what i want, thoughts?

And sorry once again, i know, i am rely incompetent with computers lol

EDIT

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/gateway-gateway-15-6-laptop-featuring-intel-core-2-duo-processor-t6570-nv5824h-black-nv5824h/10141887.aspx?path=543344286e7dad0b6de0f18fff9037afen02

just checked out the gateway laptops. This looks like a great one for what i need with a good price. Theres a sale on it that takes off 50$ that runs till today, so thoughts on this please, and for the love of god i hope the paycheck im getting today is big enough
Last edited by blurpify at Jun 24, 2010,