I'm looking into possibly getting a distortion/metal pedal because my amp doesn't quite reach the level of distortion i want on certain songs. I don't want to spend much. Also, give me your thoughts on some other effects (wah, delay, etc.). Thanks.
BOSS OS-2 for distortion/overdrive, Dunlop Crybaby is the definitive wah.
A Fulltone OCD is a very good overdrive but kind of expensive at 130 USD. I love my Morley Power Wah Volume for 85 USD and I used to have an Electro-Harmonix #1 Echo which is like 100 USD- very good analog sounding digital delay.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
I would def get the crybaby or something else ( just not ibanez weeping demon) boss delays are great they have a nice sound and are very durable. I have not too much experience with distortion pedal but i'd say try many of them out because you never know.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
the distortion pedal i am looking for would be for heavier metal so i am looking for something with a lot of gain, the wah would be for soloing mostly
distortion pedal won't sound super awesome with your amp. You should just try and get more gain out of it by tweaking the settings.

Fulltone OCD is more of a boost for tube amps, it won't sound as good with a modelling amp, the digital programs of the Vypyr kind of override pedal effects a bit.

but anyways, as far as recommending distortions (not an OD/boost) check out the Barber Dirty Bomb.
this damn vypyr amp is giving me alot of setbacks. first no emgs, now this.
ok well i'll just go for a wah then, i'm looking at crybabys and i'm pretty interested in the morley tremonti (even if i have to save up for it, i'm a huge fan of his). i've heard some positive and negative feedback on crybabys, nothing on morleys. thoughts?
Quote by Tedward
Fulltone OCD is more of a boost for tube amps, it won't sound as good with a modelling amp, the digital programs of the Vypyr kind of override pedal effects a bit.

Yeah you're right didn't think of that. Been a long time since I played solid state
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
Quote by lilwill322
this damn vypyr amp is giving me alot of setbacks. first no emgs, now this.
ok well i'll just go for a wah then, i'm looking at crybabys and i'm pretty interested in the morley tremonti (even if i have to save up for it, i'm a huge fan of his). i've heard some positive and negative feedback on crybabys, nothing on morleys. thoughts?

Well the vypyr itself is a pretty highly regarded amp, it's just that real stompbox effects aren't really designed to overlap the digital modelling of the Vypyr or similar Valvetronix, and vice versa. EMGs were really made to take a super clear signal and amplify it to huge levels to really push tube amps harder and more clearly, but with a modelling amp, it's a computer doing all that kind of work. It's not like EMGs or effects will sound bad on the vypyr, it just won't reach the full potential, and you might say "well this thing sucks" but really it's just the amp masking the nuances of cool tone you could achieve with a straightforward tube amp.

So really if you're absolutely set on upgrading effects and gear and tone and you want to play shows with a band, I'd buy another amp that you can base the rest of your gear on.

A wah-wah would be a decent investment though right now. Crybaby wahs are allright. They aren't the best but a lot of people like them. The cheap ones are very easy to mod (and you won't feel bad about doing it), so that they are a lot better. I've heard bad things about morley, while they are sturdy the actual wah effect is apparently just not that good. More of a treble boost with the toe forward rather than a wah. I've never played one so I can't say for sure. Budda and Fulltone are both highly rated wahs, and actually a lot of pros use them. That'll run you over $200 for a new one for sure.

So ya, if you're up for some cheap but worthwhile practise mods, you could find a crybaby GCB-95 for dirt cheap used. Crybaby from Hell has plenty of adjustments to tweak, so I'm guessing it's fairly versatile. Buddy Guy Crybaby I've read some good reviews of.

Personally I'd go all out for a Fulltone Clyde. $285 for the deluxe, $245 for the standard.
i'm not really looking to upgrade much, and i'm not looking to do shows. the vypyr suits me fine. i just think a wah would make everything more versatile.

also, i don't have the money to "go all out" right now, i am currently looking to buy my next guitar so that is my top priority. i have never owned a wah pedal before and don't even know how much i will use it so i think i will go with a lower end crybaby for now.
yeah i guess the vypyr is fine for metal. between all the settings there is alot to choose from. if i do start to gig though, i may go for another amp. the vypyr can't do wah, the auto-wah sucks, so we decided i was going for that.
The Vypyr has its own built-in wah, though...?

And the envelope filter on the Vypyr is not the same thing as a wah. Two different things for different applications.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??