hey

I have written a song, and would like to make a melody for know just some arpeggisted stuff and chords, so a simple song, the problem is I don`t know much music theory to do it can someone point out a website or some help? thank you
Breakin` the Law!
For melody-writing, I find that if you do some melodic soloing over your progressions you'll get something good. If you know the chords and/or key, this works really well. A simple, easy way to go is to play the I of the chord that is being played and then move step-wise to the I of the next chord.
Example:
C G Am F is the progression.
Melody could be (in quarter notes) C C D E over the C chord, leading to the V of the G chord... D C D E, which leads to the V of the Am chord... E F F G, which leads to the iii of the F chord... A A F D.
Probably not the best example, but it's the general idea.
Quote by TasianSensation
For melody-writing, I find that if you do some melodic soloing over your progressions you'll get something good. If you know the chords and/or key, this works really well. A simple, easy way to go is to play the I of the chord that is being played and then move step-wise to the I of the next chord.
Example:
C G Am F is the progression.
Melody could be (in quarter notes) C C D E over the C chord, leading to the V of the G chord... D C D E, which leads to the V of the Am chord... E F F G, which leads to the iii of the F chord... A A F D.
Probably not the best example, but it's the general idea.

Im a total noob when it comes to theory, I know some very basic stuff like circle of fifths and some scales. What do you refer to as melodic soloing
Breakin` the Law!
I find a great way to get some good melodies going is to just hum along and see what you come up with. Then try and transpose this onto the guitar. Also another easy way is to use slides up and down the neck. For me I find it easier to create a melody up and down the neck as opposed to going accross it using scale - might be just me though.
Melody as in solo / lead or more general?

I can say this: play around with the notes of the chord that is played. Roots, thirds, fiths when you're playing a standard triad, you could use the 7th of the next chord as a leading note into the next chord, etc.

Make a skeletal melody by using those 'focus' notes to get a sense of feeling and up or downward movement, then you could use other notes either from the scale of they key you are playing in or from the scale of the chord you play as 'neighbouring notes' to pad it up.
Quote by rasta_mon
hey

I have written a song, and would like to make a melody for know just some arpeggisted stuff and chords, so a simple song, the problem is I don`t know much music theory to do it can someone point out a website or some help? thank you

This is going to sound rude, but Im honestly trying to help....

You're not going to learn how to write a melody for your song by browsing online theory sites for step by step instructions.

I would stop that approach right away.

LISTEN..... learn .... play.....learn about........ enjoy MUSIC

Then, when you have gained experience and developed skills, and feel the need to express your self artistically......... write music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 24, 2010,