Quote by El3ment380
What do you think is the best amp modeling software, and would it work with this?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-GuitarLink-USB-Audio-Interface-Cable?sku=703593

http://mobile.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006
get that, it's a much better deal and you'll get podfarm, one of the top amp sims.
Quote by TheDriller
right now, Amplitube 3.

Yea, I've heard that amplitube 3 is really nice.

To op, you really can't go wrong with either pod farm,peavey revalver, or amplitube. Hell, you can get awesome results with free vsts! I personally own podfarm and guitar rig , and I'm looking forward to purchasing peavey revalver. Also, don't forget to add impulses, they will make you sound a million times better. Hope this helped.

P.s. I'm pretty sure everything Joey sturgis produces is all podfarm, and Devin townsends album addicted was recorded with peavey revalver
Quote by TheDriller
right now, Amplitube 3.

Would that be able to work with the link I showed? And does that also record?
Angus = god
Quote by El3ment380
A read reviews and they said it breaks fast.

It doesn't matter what the item is, there is always that one or two that break that people complain about. There are tons of people on this board that have them, they work fine.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by gabestigmatic
Best amp modeling software... Save up and get a good amp.

Well that's a helpful input for someone asking for amp sims

Personally, I use Waves GTR, and you can get a free copy of GTR Solo and try it out, but I think the best way is to record something and try to get some demo's, see what sounds best to your ear.
Quote by gabestigmatic
Best amp modeling software... Save up and get a good amp.

I'm trying to record so I can make youtube covers bro. Thanks for all the replies I think I'm going to get the pod farm thing. Does that by any chance let you insert an mp3 and let you record along with it?
Angus = god
I have a Pod Studio GX1 - awesome little bugger! I Use Reaper to jam with MP3's and backing tracks as the Pod Farm software doesn't have that option.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by El3ment380
I'm trying to record so I can make youtube covers bro. Thanks for all the replies I think I'm going to get the pod farm thing. Does that by any chance let you insert an mp3 and let you record along with it?

Nope, but you can use it as a VST and then put an Mp3 in reaper/cubase etc (I'm assuming you have knowledge of DAW's and stuff here, if not, just ask :-) )
I use guitar rig 3/4 and pod farm 2 but my favorite amp modeling software at the moment is the Softube Metal Amp Room, I'd gladly buy it but the price tag is robbery for how limited a program you get even if it is incredible, I rather micing up my amp but using amp sims is so much easier if your not picky on tone
Quote by theepiczebra
Nope, but you can use it as a VST and then put an Mp3 in reaper/cubase etc (I'm assuming you have knowledge of DAW's and stuff here, if not, just ask :-) )

None at all actually. How would you go about recording yourself over an mp3 for a video cover? And what is a VST?
Angus = god
Ampitube 3 is one of the best, currently. Don't forget that you'll need decent studio monitors/headphones. You can't just plug into your amp...

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by El3ment380
None at all actually. How would you go about recording yourself over an mp3 for a video cover? And what is a VST?

It's an FX plugin that you load onto a track in whatever DAW you're using. Basically you would use Pod Farm as a VST on a track of you playing, and then just drag an mp3 of the song onto another track and just play along to it.
Quote by El3ment380

Well, a simple way to explain a vst would be to say it's like what an fx pedal is for your guitar, you put it between the guitar and the speaker and it changes the sound in some way. A VST is basically that in software form, and though there are many variations, i'd say on windows, it's the most used one. A DAW is something you record into, so something like Reaper If you look at the stickied threads though, there's a guide to using reaper, and if you use the search bar, there's a thread about using these VST's in reaper (I'm saying reaper because it's basically free, but there are other DAW's out there, such as cubase and pro tools)
-Amplitude 3 I have not tried, but I heard it is good. (Some thought hate 2, the original, and the metal versions however if you come across them)

-Revalver is another most like.
-Pod Farm
-Metal Amp Room
-Waves GTR
-Numerous free amp sims such as ones made by NickCrow, TSE, Acmebargig, and Lepou. (just listed the four more "common" makers of free sims.)

I hate Guitar Rig.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by theepiczebra
Well, a simple way to explain a vst would be to say it's like what an fx pedal is for your guitar, you put it between the guitar and the speaker and it changes the sound in some way. A VST is basically that in software form, and though there are many variations, i'd say on windows, it's the most used one. A DAW is something you record into, so something like Reaper If you look at the stickied threads though, there's a guide to using reaper, and if you use the search bar, there's a thread about using these VST's in reaper (I'm saying reaper because it's basically free, but there are other DAW's out there, such as cubase and pro tools)

Would Audacity work as a DAW?
Angus = god
Quote by El3ment380
Would Audacity work as a DAW?
Not really.

Audacity is a crippled DAW. Just download Reaper. It has an unlimited free trial.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Not really.

Audacity is a crippled DAW. Just download Reaper. It has an unlimited free trial.

So If I use a VST, the sound coming out my speakers will be the sound recorded into reaper?
Angus = god
Quote by El3ment380
So If I use a VST, the sound coming out my speakers will be the sound recorded into reaper?

If you press the record button
Quote by El3ment380

not neccessarily. it really depends on how you have it configured and what you plan to do. for example you can arm a track to record, but not moniter it. so the track that is being recorded when you push record wont play through your speakers.

you also never have to record. just pushing play but having the track armed and monitered will allow you to play along with the song without recording.

but basicly, yes, the sound coming from your speakers is what gets recorded.
Actually I usually just use Reaper as a practice tool - I don't record I just load up a backing track on track 2 and play my guitar on track 1 using whatever amp sim I want to use at the time. As jof1029 said you don't have to record unless you want. Although I sometimes record my practice sessions as I come up with some great leads from time to time and it helps me to remember what I did.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Thanks I see how reaper works and it is pretty sick. Any advice on how I would be able to sync my video up with my recording?
Angus = god
Been said before, but here's what I recommend [out of the commercial products] and for what sounds good:

Any softube product is good enough [ie Vintage Amp Room, for vintage tones]
Amplitube Fender [for cleans]
Peavey Revalver and Guitar Rig 4 [for heavier tones]

Oh, and remember: Impulses can improve the tone from the above programs by a giant amount.
And remember to
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
There's some really great FREE amp sims out there - Google:

Acmebargig VST
LePou VST
Nick Crow VST

just to name a few - most are HEADS only and require a Speaker Cab (Acme's SHRED has it built-in) - LePou's LECAB and KEFIR are good ones I use - also study up on Speaker Impulse Responses (IR's) - here's a good tutorial on using Impulses:

http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2452

There's also lots of em to download on the same site. They make everything sound PHATTER.

The NEW Shred 1.5 is coming out very soon - it's in final beta testing and its fantastic and FREE - just join the Acme forum as it'll be released there first for forum members to try out before it's released everywhere else - it has a Standalone APP and VST too. I can assure everyone it's got so many goodies built-in it'll become the de facto standard of Free sims rivaling the high dollar commercial sims. Dual Cabs with loads of great IR's, a new Pedalboard with great stomps, rack effects and a slew of new amps too

http://www.acmebargig.com/forums/index.php
Last edited by strangedogs at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Simsimius
Been said before, but here's what I recommend [out of the commercial products] and for what sounds good:

Any softube product is good enough [ie Vintage Amp Room, for vintage tones]
Peavey Revalver and Guitar Rig 4 [for heavier tones]

Oh, and remember: Impulses can improve the tone from the above programs by a giant amount.
And remember to
Guitar Rig for metal?

I strongly disagree with that. Many others including myself absolutely hate Guitar Rig, especially for metal.

And I also forgot about Overloud TH1. Awesome commercial amp program.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Simsimius

I passed over Amplitube Fender. I downloaded a torrent of it in the past and was pretty disappointed with it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Point really is to get your clean DI signal onto your pc so essentially any Audio Interface will work.

You can avoid spending even more money by simply taking a look through all the freeware VST's on the web, as I've had much better results messing with free IR's and plugins from dev's like AcmeBarGig, Lepou, etc... (I'm in love with the X30 plugin... XD)

So take into account what strangedogs has to say

pay this site a visit.
guitarampmodeling.com

Not saying to not bother with the commercial amp simulators, but you can get just as good results from freeware imo. That's how far they've come along tbh. The only difference I guess is that the community dev's release a couple of plugins at a time (although occasionally release suites) versus just buying one big package of amp modelers, for example if you went the amplitube route.

All you'll essentially need is anything that can record your guitar direct-in with as clean a signal as possible. (Hardware wise)
A few example of such Interfaces include...

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX-with-POD-Farm?sku=250006

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-ProFire-610-FireWire-Recording-Interface?sku=247046

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Delta-44-Digital-Recording-System?sku=701346

Within your DAW...
any VST is essentially a plugin, that acts like an effect (ex. delay, reverb, Amp modeler, IR loader, etc.)
You have tracks that you will record to on your DAW (Reaper) On each track, will be the option of loading FX (effects) Your VSTs will be in this listing of effects

Using something similar to what you see below (What we normally call an FX "Chain") will be how you go about shaping your guitar tone, as far as with amp sims.

Amp sim-> Cab IR loader (Voxengo Boogex, KeFIR, Lepou's LeCab are a few examples)

but thats just the bare minimum, noisegates/reverb/compressors/ are not left out of the equation, duh :P But its all software anyways, and very capable freeware out there as well. Reaper comes with them as well included.
Last edited by Night at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by El3ment380
Thanks I see how reaper works and it is pretty sick. Any advice on how I would be able to sync my video up with my recording?

Thats a different ballgame >_>

I guess you could use something along the lines of Sony Vegas (I think it handles video...)

personally I use Adobe Premiere from the CS3 era and just import my audio/video >_>

Or you could easily just go with windows media/movie w/e
if you're not planning to record video of yourself playing.

but as far as ADVICE??? its really as simple as simply lining up both your audio and video. you just need a workspace to do it in. and I don't think reaper imports video. so you're shit out of luck there as far as I know.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Guitar Rig for metal?

I strongly disagree with that. Many others including myself absolutely hate Guitar Rig, especially for metal.

And I also forgot about Overloud TH1. Awesome commercial amp program.

Well, GR has bad cleans and crunch, but its higher metal settings can sound pretty good if you manage them well.

Quote by lockwolf
I passed over Amplitube Fender. I downloaded a torrent of it in the past and was pretty disappointed with it.

Really? It's one of the better clean VSTs I've heard - it sounds great with my strat and a bit of volume, but I guess it may be preference.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by El3ment380

Well, the way my friend does it is he plays his high E string, then mutes it 5 seconds later, and then he aligns the audio to the video in his program of choice by making sure the start and end times align