Let's say we just wanted to play small bars, and other small venues. How big of a bass amp are we going to need?

Currently, our bassist is borrowing my equipment, and the amp is only 38 watts; will that get us anywhere at all, or not? She plans on buying her own equipment, but isn't entirely sure when she's actually getting a job....
if she can DI into a PA system, it will be ok, but she won't hear herself, which will make it difficult.

I can only just hear myself with 500 sometimes, but it depends on what amps the guitarsits have and how loud the drummer is.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
if the amplification and the mixers of the place youre playing are gooods, you should not need more than 75-100 watts actually
i find it doesnt matter really, because most of the time your either getting mic'd or DI'd into the PA. unless the venue doesnt and you need to rely on the power of the amp; which i would have to say 100-200 combo would be your best bet if its a first amp
38 watt bass amp is not suffecient for gigs. i'd recommend DI into the pa system. if theres a good monitoring system and sound guy, she should be able to hear herself
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by gilly_90
if she can DI into a PA system, it will be ok, but she won't hear herself, which will make it difficult.

I can only just hear myself with 500 sometimes, but it depends on what amps the guitarsits have and how loud the drummer is.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you're probably not playing out of a quality amp if 500 watts isn't sufficient. I'm doing just fine with 320, and that's been used on outdoor stages, professional venues, etc.
well I rarely turn it above 3 and the guitarist standing right to me has a 200W thunderverb. I can hear myself, but sometimes it's a bit hit and miss

EDIT: actually this is shown perfectly in my profile pic
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

id say something between 100-200 watts should be good. i use 200 watts with no problem
Dick+strings= owww
^ that will probably get you just under (or just over) 300W, which is in no way enough against two guitarists with 300w tube amps.

The question that needs to be asked is what exactly does she have to contend with for volume? guitarist(s)? drummer? singer? keyboard? tin whistle?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid