I was thinking about getting one of these heads. I play pretty much any genre so i was wondering what is a more versatile amp?

also i play though 2 mesa 4x12 cabs
Yeah, I'd say the JSX is more versatile, but the 6505/5150 is still a fantastic amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
also consider the 6505+ which is more versatile than the standard 6505. don't think that the 6505 amps can't do anything other than metal and hard rock because they can do any genre if you set them up properly. but in general yes the jsx is more capable in the versatility arena. i would recommend playing a JSX and 6505+ if you can before you decide.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
also consider the 6505+ which is more versatile than the standard 6505. don't think that the 6505 amps can't do anything other than metal and hard rock because they can do any genre if you set them up properly. but in general yes the jsx is more capable in the versatility arena. i would recommend playing a JSX and 6505+ if you can before you decide.

+1. I should have mentioned that. The 6505+/5150 II are the more versatile of the 6505/5150 line. (also more expensive)
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
While I have yet to see one in a store, I have read good things about the new Peavey 6534+ amplifier (a 6505+ loaded with EL34 tubes). It might be worth checking one out - if you can find one - before you make your decision.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
just to mix things up how about the marshall JVM? beats them both on versatility
and i actually preferred it for high gain stuff to the peavey 6505+
but it really is subjective some people absolutely love the JVM others find that its nowhere near worth the price if you can try one then you can make up your own mind
6505 to me sounds very mechanical, does what its meant to do, in your face raw metal tone, but i find it too scratchy and dry. there is no perfect amp for me atm. so dont take my opinion to heart everyone.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
I still would take a JSX over a 6505+ any day if I wanted versatility.

And yeah, a 6505 can do other genres. Can the 6505+/6505 do them well or as good as the JSX, however?
The JSX is a great amp. Kicks the 6505 for versatility, but it is a much smoother tone, not sure if you're into that. If you do get a 6505, make sure to get it rebiased. The fixed cathode bias is off and still in crossover distortion.

IMO if you really want versatility look into a carvin v3 or Mesa mark 4

Any of these amps are fantastic though
just like everyones saying, the jxs is suited towards smooth lead sounds and it can simply do just about anything. the 6505 is all about "muscle" and the only tones that it does well are crunchy in your face modern metal tones. some say it can do classic rock alright, but in that aspect the jsx is a lot smoother and more capable of doing it. not to mention the jsx has 3 channels and can use EL34's or 6L6's (not sure but i think it can). there is the new 6534+, meant to be a british 6505 thats more versatile, but i've yet to play one, and i think that if its anything like the 6505 its still mainly suited to really heavy sounds.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.