Page 1 of 8
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/dad-to-be-killed-by-vegas-cops-marijuana-madness-must-end

On Friday the government’s war on marijuana consumers claimed yet another victim.
In Las Vegas, Nevada, metro police shot and killed a 21-year-old father-to-be while serving a search warrant for marijuana.

A 21-year-old father-to-be was killed last Friday night by a Las Vegas Police Department narcotics officer serving a search warrant for marijuana. Trevon Cole was shot once in the bathroom of his apartment after he made what police described as “a furtive movement.”
Police have said Cole was not armed. Police said Monday they recovered an unspecified amount of marijuana and a set of digital scales. A person identifying herself as Cole’s fiancée, Sequoia Pearce, in the comments section in the article linked to above said no drugs were found.
Pearce, who is nine months pregnant, shared the apartment with Cole and was present during the raid. “I was coming out, and they told me to get on the floor. I heard a gunshot and was trying to see what was happening and where they had shot him,” Pearce told KTNV-TV.
According to police, they arrived at about 9 p.m. Friday evening at the Mirabella Apartments on East Bonanza Road, and detectives knocked and announced their presence. Receiving no response, detectives knocked the door down and entered the apartment. They found Pearce hiding in a bedroom closet and took her into custody. They then tried to enter a bathroom where Cole was hiding. He made “a furtive movement” toward a detective, who fired a single shot, killing Cole.
… According to Pearce and family members, Cole had no criminal record, had achieved an Associate of Arts degree, and was working as an insurance adjustor while working on a political science degree at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. He was not a drug dealer, Pearce said.
“Trevon was a recreational smoker. He smoked weed, marijuana. That’s what he did,” she told KTNV-TV. “They didn’t have to kill him. We were supposed to get married next year, plan a black and white affair,” she said. “He was all I ever knew, we were gonna make it.”

Found it just now. Thoughts?
The war on drugs takes very stupid steps.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
That's what you get for using drugs.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Whether or not his wife was pregnant should not have anything to do with what should happen to him.
Quote by DontPushMongo
Whether or not his wife was pregnant should not have anything to do with what should happen to him.

+1, I agree.
Quote by Dirge Humani
I suspect that this thread will be incredibly one-sided.

Like you expect anything else from the Pit?

On topic, there's probably more to the story than what the article is telling us. The media is just out to smear the cops at every turn.

Recently there was another similar story, in Waukegan IL,where a cop was hit in the head with a hammer by a suspect, so his partner shot the suspect. The kid's family sued the city and won.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by DontPushMongo

This.

But either way they shouldn't have killed him just for having marijuana, unless it was in self-defense. Since they said he was unarmed, I think it's safe to assume self-defense was unnecessary on the cops' part.
The only problem with the whole furtive movements thing is that in the heat of the moment with police pointing guns at you ordering you around it is really easy to move quite suddenly out of fear.

Officer shouldn't have had such an itchy trigger finger...its really messed up.

On the other hand While I feel marijuana should be a legalized and regulated drug, it is still illegal...so I have to say had he not been involved with illegal drugs he wouldn't have died...
On one hand the police have to protect themselves so if a suspect makes any suspicious movements then the police are well within their rights to take whatever steps they feel are neccessary

On the other hand this seemed to be a minor thing and so lethal force should not have even been considered. From what i can tell this guy was on his own and whether he had drugs on him/around him or not it was clear that he wasn't a threat to the safety of the officers, who i'm guessing outnumbered him considerably
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Quote by Amos_Moses
When will people learn to quit moving in jerky movements around the cops.

this.

and, if he was only a recreational smoker, just answering the door would have been a better option. seeing someone hiding in a closet pregnant or not isnt a good sign when entering a house
you brought a hooker to church?
If he was unarmed I imagine that a gunshot was totally uncalled for. All policemen just want to be a hero, they love their guns and all they wanna do is kill the bad guys. This time, however, there was no bad guy.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
This makes me so unbelievably angry. Yet another victim of this pointless, counter productive pseudo-war.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by BrokenDstring
If he was unarmed I imagine that a gunshot was totally uncalled for. All policemen just want to be a hero, they love their guns and all they wanna do is kill the bad guys. This time, however, there was no bad guy.

false.

intel is never %100 accurate

hind sight is always 20/20
Quote by DontPushMongo

Perhaps, but it's just really sad. I know the police had to do what they had to do, but man.
Look at the sources. The article included interviews with his family but not the cops. Also, they included a link to a pro-drug website. News? More like pro-drug propaganda.
It says according to police they found the fiance hiding in a closet. How do you know that it wasn't a walk-in closet? You don't know how long the police gave before they knocked down the door.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
This makes me so unbelievably angry. Yet another victim of this pointless, counter productive pseudo-war.

This +100000000

This anti drug stuff is ****ing pathetic and i really mean that. It's funny, how many people have died from using weed? Oh yeah , none. How many have been killed by the state BECAUSE of having weed? Hundreds if not thousands.
Quote by StewieSwan
That's what you get for using drugs.

And you're what happens when your absent the day they handed out brains.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by rgrockr
Look at the sources. The article included interviews with his family but not the cops. Also, they included a link to a pro-drug website. News? More like pro-drug propaganda.

Of course, the 'official' news sites like CNN etc with their anti drug propaganda are far more trustworthy.
If there's one thing I've learned from living in Toronto, it's DO NOT MAKE JERKY MOVEMENTS. You will almost certainly get shot by the cops. If there's one thing you're doing around police, it's concealing weapons and attacking them while grabbing your coffee and donuts from the Tim Hortons.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Judge Holden
How is it irrelevant? Don't you have something smarter to say then complaining about them reporting the facts of the case?

because it is irrelevant, his wife being pregnant has absolutely nothing to do with why he was shot, it only serves the purpose of making people feel bad about someone who was still doing something illegal (and yes, i know its not bad for you, but thats not the damn point) and chose not to comply with police by opening the door. if he really had such a small amount then all he most likely would have gotten was a fine.
Quote by Zoot Allures
This +100000000
How many have been killed by the state BECAUSE of having weed? Hundreds if not thousands.

I don't think very many people have been shot by police for possession... If you make a move that is seen by the cops as life-threatening, you're likely to get a slug in you.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Of course, the 'official' news sites like CNN etc with their anti drug propaganda are far more trustworthy.

lol who watches CNN anymore?
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I don't think very many people have been shot by police for possession... If you make a move that is seen by the cops as life-threatening, you're likely to get a slug in you.

Well to be fair even if it was just this guy it's still more than the drug itself has ever killed. Fair enough i probably went overboard with thousands but i don't think hundreds of people is an exxageration.

On a wider note about other drugs the 'war on drugs' claims a hell of lot of lives each year anyway.

edit: the other thing is, people can say 'jerky movements' and all this stuff all they like, the fact remains, the police had a choice. They had a choice to do an immoral act of breaking into a guys house for a drug which everyone with a brain in their head knows does no harm, or they could have taken the high ground and refused to do it. We all have a choice in life in our actions and saying ' i was doing my job' dosn't cut it in a lot of the times. Now a guy is dead because of what was an immoral act from the get go on the part of the police.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by rgrockr
Like you expect anything else from the Pit?

On topic, there's probably more to the story than what the article is telling us. The media is just out to smear the cops at every turn.

Recently there was another similar story, in Waukegan IL,where a cop was hit in the head with a hammer by a suspect, so his partner shot the suspect. The kid's family sued the city and won.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to shoot unless the suspect has a firearm and is explicitly threatening to shoot someone, anything else and they have to use non lethal means, if that is true then the officer was in the wrong and the family rightfully won.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Entheogenic
It says according to police they found the fiance hiding in a closet. How do you know that it wasn't a walk-in closet? You don't know how long the police gave before they knocked down the door.

its still a god damn closet, its not like they walked through the front door and ended up in a closet.

and knowing most cops, they knock, call out LVPD, wait for a response, and then knock louder and call out louder, they give plenty of time to answer the door, but yet no one did, so they breached the house, found the wife hiding (suspicious) and then found the husband who made a suspicious movement, and they shot him, its unfortunate but it happens, cops are trained to prepare for the worst case scenarios for any situation, especially in a city like las vegas where there are alot of gangs and criminals who carry guns.
Quote by Lots O' FX
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to shoot unless the suspect has a firearm and is explicitly threatening to shoot someone, anything else and they have to use non lethal means, if that is true then the officer was in the wrong and the family rightfully won.

Except in a life-threatening situation you're running on adrenaline, you can't think straight. I doubt if your buddy is about to have his skull caved in then you would take the time to holster your gun and pull out a tazer. Also, police officers are trained to use a level of force 1 step above the suspect; if they are fistfighting you use a nightstick, if they have a blunt weapon you use a gun.
Quote by Lots O' FX

no. cops can fire whenever they feel threatened, the only time they cant fire (usually) is if they confront a suspect who already has a gun, and isnt pointing it at anyone, as soon as its pointed even near someone, all hell is going to break loose, and theyre detectives serving a raid, they arent a swat team, and the only time you would ever use non lethal anything is when you know its going to stop someone and not endanger you or anyone else, if he had a gun and a cop tasered him instead he still could have fired back and hit someone
Furtive movement my ****ing balls. They killed an innocent man and are trying to cover their asses.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by ghostnineone
its still a god damn closet, its not like they walked through the front door and ended up in a closet.

and knowing most cops, they knock, call out LVPD, wait for a response, and then knock louder and call out louder, they give plenty of time to answer the door, but yet no one did, so they breached the house, found the wife hiding (suspicious) and then found the husband who made a suspicious movement, and they shot him, its unfortunate but it happens, cops are trained to prepare for the worst case scenarios for any situation, especially in a city like las vegas where there are alot of gangs and criminals who carry guns.

Depending on the circumstances, most police when going on a drug raid, do not give enough time for someone to open the door, because if you wait, the suspects can either escape or find a weapon of some sort.
Quote by ghostnineone
no. cops can fire whenever they feel threatened, the only time they cant fire (usually) is if they confront a suspect who already has a gun, and isnt pointing it at anyone, as soon as its pointed even near someone, all hell is going to break loose, and theyre detectives serving a raid, they arent a swat team, and the only time you would ever use non lethal anything is when you know its going to stop someone and not endanger you or anyone else, if he had a gun and a cop tasered him instead he still could have fired back and hit someone

I was talking about the guy with the hammer that was in the post I quoted, not the hypothetical gun the other guy seemed to have.
The cops in that story were presumably just normal street cops, with clubs and tasers and such.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1