What kind of sounds do different keys have? For example the key of G. Or Dm.
I'm curious to know what kind of "sound" do they have?
All keys have the same "sounds" just at different frequencies.

If your just talking about major vs minor...then major = happier and minor = darker.
Quote by HJS >.>
What about diminished or augmented?

not keys.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Scales and chords? There are a bunch of chords and scales. Why don't you just play it on your instrument or find examples online and hear it for yourself?
If you mean scales, in diatonics, generally major = happy, dorian = adventurous, phrygian = eastern, lydian = dreamy, mixolydian = curious, minor = sad, locrian = plain weird. Thats just generalizing them.

As far as keys are concerned, I feel the modes of C major seems to feel the most natural to the ear. I dunno how else to answer your question.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by jetwash69
What about The Black Keys?

Kinda a garage blues sound.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by HJS >.>
What kind of sounds do different keys have? For example the key of G. Or Dm.
I'm curious to know what kind of "sound" do they have?

Well the most obvious way to find this out is to listen. This might sound likely painfully obvious advice, but I find its often over looked.

Find a song in G and listen. Then, you'll know what it sounds like. If you're not sure what it means for a song to be in the "key of G", then spend some time studying theory. When your ready, apply that knowledge and listen.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by JayLacelle
All keys have the same "sounds" just at different frequencies.

If your just talking about major vs minor...then major = happier and minor = darker.

Keys have different sounds. The timbre of a C chord is very different from G even though they can have the same harmonic function.

Actually, if you wanna get into it, every pitch has a unique timbre.

TS, obviously, listen. But some general things I have found to be true are the following. Flat keys tend to be darker, richer, and warmer. This is because in string instruments, there arent nearly as many open notes to be used; and in brass instruments, you have to use many more valves than normal. Likewise, sharp keys sound brighter

For some reason I notice that this is true on piano too, but I cant figure out why.
Quote by MonsterOfRock

As far as keys are concerned, I feel the modes of C major seems to feel the most natural to the ear. I dunno how else to answer your question.

With a statement like that, it's best to leave the answering to other people I think
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by tubatom868686
Wow, when I think about songs written in all the keys, they match those descriptions perfectly

LOL, I stumbled on that page so long ago and some of the descriptions do have the corniest feelings but you never know.

Bb minor
A quaint creature, often dressed in the garment of night. It is somewhat surly and very seldom takes on a pleasant countenance. Mocking God and the world; discontented with itself and with everything; preparation for suicide sounds in this key.

Key of Emo anyone?
Last edited by Pillo114 at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by AlanHB
With a statement like that, it's best to leave the answering to other people I think

Its kind of ****ing retarded to critisize others input when one has nothing to say, don't you think?
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by MonsterOfRock
Its kind of ****ing retarded to critisize others input when one has nothing to say, don't you think?

Ok, there are no "modes of C major". It's an incorrect statement. Sorry for putting you out there.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If the scale (interval patterns) is the same, it doesnt matter what key you are in.

Altough I remember reading something on the topic of psycho-acoustics in music and how people prefer their scales with whole notes rather than sharps & flats.

No clue where I read it or what the reasoning was..might be bullshit but anyone else heard of this?
Last edited by ShadesOfGray at Jun 23, 2010,
I can't really say. I'm only recently starting to recognize different keys by sound and can hear D, F, G and C, with D being the most distinct. It's really hard to explain them right now but the best way to learn to hear them is to listen. Be aware of the key of a song as you listen to it and eventually you'll be able to recognize it's qualities when you hear it.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by MonsterOfRock

Chill. You have much to learn before you can start flaming in MT
Quote by ShadesOfGray
Altough I remember reading something on the topic of psycho-acoustics in music and how people prefer their scales with whole notes rather than sharps & flats.

are you sure by "people" you don't mean "beginning pianists and theory students"?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
It's hard to objectively categorize the qualities of different keys, especially in a temperament where they all share the same frequency ratios. It's possible there is a difference, but it could be perceived differently from person to person.
E minor
Naive, womanly innocent declaration of love, lament without grumbling; sighs accompanied by few tears; this key speaks of the imminent hope of resolving in the pure happiness of C major.

Heavy metal?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by tubatom868686
Wow, when I think about songs written in all the keys, they match those descriptions perfectly

lol I wonder how they came up with those descriptions...seriously.

"Eb Major
The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God."

yeah, when i hear Say It Ain't So by Weezer, that is exactly what I think.
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup
several lulz in this thread.

as for keys, generally speaking people write so that major keys are happy sounding and minor keys are darker or sadder sounding.
Quote by stasz
lol I wonder how they came up with those descriptions...seriously.

"Eb Major
The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God."

yeah, when i hear Say It Ain't So by Weezer, that is exactly what I think.

I think the descriptions are written in a classical sense