I love P-90's. I love goldtops. I can't afford a reissue. But Gibson is releasing an $850 P-90 Goldtop Studio. Joy was had! Sure they're very hit-and-miss, but for a genuine Gibson Goldtop at $850, I can be assed to sift for a gem.

Then however, a challenger appeared;

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Swede-Electric-Guitar?sku=513340

It still has a Goldtop, so it still has that basecoat of pure sex. It has what to me seems like a better bridge, the filter switch interests me, it's about $200 cheaper, and after a good set of crunchy P-90's, 57-60 voiced humbuckers are right up with a good set of fat-wound tele pickups as a close second as far as my favourite types of pickups go, so I'm a bit torn.

So, UG, thoughts? And just as well, how is Hagstrom's quality? I hear people say good things, but how does it stack against a good Gibson(Not one of the dozen duds they crank out for every gem now, one of the aforementioned pieces of quality that feels just right)?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I'd go for the Gibson..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I'd go for the Hagstrom...
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I'd go with the Hagstrom. My buddy has one, not this particular model with the filter switch though, and it was top notch.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
Hagström. I've always liked them! Good quality, or at least better then a cheap Gibson!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by Axeaman
Hagström. I've always liked them! Good quality, or at least better then a cheap Gibson!

get out
I have a Hagstrom Ultra Swede. The quality is excellent, it looks stunning in reality and it is very versatile and very playable. It is also a bit different which for me is a positive. I can't compare it to a good Gibson I'm afraid. (as in I've not played a top Les Paul). For the price Hagstrom seem to offer very good guitars.
Alright, thanks for the opinions guys; I'll have to try to be sure, but all-in-all it's seeming fairly good for the Hagstrom. Something I'm curious about though is the Ultra Swede. I like the Fender-scale neck more as it allows me to use a uniform string gauge and makes it much less odd going from my telecaster to it(Even my PRS copy, which is even less of a difference at only about .5" difference in scale, takes a few minutes of getting comfy after a long bout with the tele. Plus I have big hands so more room for fat fingers is always appreciated.), and while it would be harder to set up a filter switch, it seems like the coil-splitting would be much more useful.

So, basically, contrasting the Swede and Super Swede does anyone know what the filter switch actually does, and if so how practical it is compared to coil-splitting, as well as how much effect the larger scale would have on the tone?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7