Page 1 of 2
I have just watched The Prestige for the first time. It is almost as confusing as the Matrix. I never strayed my attention for a second and i'm still kind of drawing blanks on some of the parts of this movie.
Did the machine actual clone people? So every time Angier used it in a show, he put the glass tank under the floor to kill the clone? And how was there two Bordens? Was he born with a twin and they kept it secret their whole lives? Or did he make a double with the machine? Which Borden was in jail the whole time? And at the very end they show Angier in the glass tank still dead. I thought they took him out, they showed the autopsy? I didnt understand the ending at all.

If someone is bored enough, please help me understand this movie.
Idk but I watched that movie with a few friends and we ended up turning it off and doing...more fun..stuff
^ they are talking about circle jerking. fun shit right thar.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
No. Completely serious. I know there's some sort of meme that involves this because I have seen people talk about "The Prestige" on here a lot, or use it in a joking manner....To tell you the truth I don't follow these things too much so I'm a bit out of the loop. I am completely dumbfounded on this movie. Is this the movie that everybody loves to hate or something? I thought it was pretty clever, i'm just a tad confused.

EDIT: And yes I was alone, what is the relevance?
I agree. Completely mind-bottling.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by codynw42
No. Completely serious. I know there's some sort of meme that involves this because I have seen people talk about "The Prestige" on here a lot, or use it in a joking manner....To tell you the truth I don't follow these things too much so I'm a bit out of the loop. I am completely dumbfounded on this movie. Is this the movie that everybody loves to hate or something? I thought it was pretty clever, i'm just a tad confused.

EDIT: And yes I was alone, what is the relevance?

You had to be there.
LARGE TEXT
Alright, well since I have a feeling I have unleashed something out of my control, I'll just try to ignore all the comments, as I have no idea what they mean. So now I request two things;

1. I'd really still like answers to my questions if anybody understands the movie?

2. Link to why people are laughing at this? Or an explanation?
Bale's character was in fact a set of twins, they used it to perform their show. part of the coolness of the twist is that for most of the movie you don't know which one is which.

I haven't seen it in a long time, but the scene that shows one of the twins cutting the others finger off was amazing! one of Bale's best movies.

EDIT: In the end, Bale wins, Jackman loses. Like I said, I haven't seen it in forever, but I believe it shows Jackman being shot by the Bale that wasn't hanged, which is where the autopsy comes from. The one drowning I think was just a clone.
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
Last edited by GizmoKaKa at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by codynw42
I have just watched The Prestige for the first time. It is almost as confusing as the Matrix. I never strayed my attention for a second and i'm still kind of drawing blanks on some of the parts of this movie.
Did the machine actual clone people? So every time Angier used it in a show, he put the glass tank under the floor to kill the clone? And how was there two Bordens? Was he born with a twin and they kept it secret their whole lives? Or did he make a double with the machine? Which Borden was in jail the whole time? And at the very end they show Angier in the glass tank still dead. I thought they took him out, they showed the autopsy? I didnt understand the ending at all.

It's not that confusing. Yes, the machine "cloned" people. Yes, he killed the clone. Borden had a twin who dressed up as "Fallon." The Angier shown in the tank is just one of the clones as is the one in the autopsy.
Quote by codynw42

Did the machine actual clone people? So every time Angier used it in a show, he put the glass tank under the floor to kill the clone?

Yes

Quote by codynw42
And how was there two Bordens? Was he born with a twin and they kept it secret their whole lives? Or did he make a double with the machine?

The first, born with a twin and they kept it a secret

Quote by codynw42
Which Borden was in jail the whole time?

Can't say for sure. Least ways I don't know.

Quote by codynw42
And at the very end they show Angier in the glass tank still dead. I thought they took him out, they showed the autopsy?

As stated before, autopsy came from non-clone Angier that was shot by Bane. Clone was remaining in the tank.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
If I'm not mistaken the one in jail was the one who didn't love the first woman (can't recall her name) but the other girl (Olivia or something).
Military use of children?

Infantry.
mindboggling? seriously?

What in the world is so hard to understand about the prestige? it's all explained in the end, Bale's character has a twin who dresses up as his bearded confidant, and they switch roles all the time, Wolverine has a cloning machine that beams the clone to a random place, while, during the show, the original (or the clone, it's impossible to determine which is which) is thrown into the sealed case of water, where he drowns.

if you find this confusing, you're stupid and circle jerk with your friends.
Quote by codynw42

Every time Angier did a show, the Angier putting on the show would die, and a new Angier would appear in the new location with all the previous memories. He was effectively killing himself at every performance.

There were two Bordens because Borden had Tesla build the machine for him first, used it once to create a duplicate, and then performed all his stunts as a team, with the duplicate. There is no 'which Borden was in jail' because both of them are identical. It is impossible to determine who the original is, as they took turns with everything.

At the end, the Angier in the glass tank was one of the many Angiers who died in glass tanks. The remaining Borden shows up to kill Angier to avenge the dead Borden and to end his use of the machine.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Man I love Union Jake and his perverted adventures, haven't seen him around in a while actually, I'd bet a small amount that he's in jail for masturbating in a playground.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by CoreysMonster
mindboggling? seriously?

What in the world is so hard to understand about the prestige? it's all explained in the end, Bale's character has a twin who dresses up as his bearded confidant, and they switch roles all the time, Wolverine has a cloning machine that beams the clone to a random place, while, during the show, the original (or the clone, it's impossible to determine which is which) is thrown into the sealed case of water, where he drowns.

if you find this confusing, you're stupid and circle jerk with your friends.

Wrong. Borden does not have a twin, he has a duplicate that was created after the girlfriend died and him and Angier split ways. He had the original machine that Angier rebuilt but only used it once.

In Angier's performances, it is always the 'original' that dies in the tank, that is why it is such a big deal for him to do it. He falls through the floor and dies, and a new version is created in a different location, with all the memories of the former up to the point of its creation -- ie, the new version does not experience the death of the previous. He goes into every performance knowing he is about to die. That's why Borden tells him at the end that drowning does not feel like going home but is extremely unpleasant.

Apparently the movie really wasn't as clear as you thought.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Last edited by Vornik at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Vornik
Wrong. Borden does not have a twin, he has a duplicate that was created after the girlfriend died and him and Angier split ways. He had the original machine that Angier rebuilt but only used it once.

In Angier's performances, it is always the 'original' that dies in the tank, that is why it is such a big deal for him to do it. He falls through the floor and dies, and a new version is created in a different location, with all the memories of the former up to the point of its creation -- ie, the new version does not experience the death of the previous. He goes into every performance knowing he is about to die. That's why Borden tells him at the end that drowning does not feel like going home but is extremely unpleasant.

Apparently the movie really wasn't as clear as you thought.

No he doesn't, the entire "Tesla" part was all a huge charade to get Angier out of the way. Borden never met Tesla, and never had the machine. Tesla didn't even know what the machine did until he met Angier.

Also, Angier says at one point that every night he doesn't know if he's going to be the one in the tank, or the one transported, so we don't know if the person in the tank is ALWAYS the original. (then again, it's pointless to argue about it, since both are essentially the same)

Methinks you need to re-watch the movie.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 23, 2010,
The Prestige is one of my favorite movies.

Too bad it's hard to mention it here without that whole "incident" coming up.
Quote by CoreysMonster
No he doesn't, the entire "Tesla" part was all a huge charade to get Angier out of the way. Borden never met Tesla, and never had the machine. Tesla didn't even know what the machine did until he met Angier.

Also, Angier says at one point that every night he doesn't know if he's going to be the one in the tank, or the one transported, so we don't know if the person in the tank is ALWAYS the original. (then again, it's pointless to argue about it, since both are essentially the same)

I agree with you, Borden definitely had an actual twin. There are plenty of reasons why this is obvious but one that hasn't been mentioned is that Borden had no money to get one built anyway.

and to TS, did you fall asleep during the last 5 minutes? it really explains everything and when you watch it again you pick up heaps of things that make you think "well thats pretty obvious isn't it". The whole movie is obvious really but like it says itself at the end "you want to be fooled". One of my favourite movies actually.
Quote by Diamond Dave
I agree with you, Borden definitely had an actual twin. There are plenty of reasons why this is obvious but one that hasn't been mentioned is that Borden had no money to get one built anyway.

and to TS, did you fall asleep during the last 5 minutes? it really explains everything and when you watch it again you pick up heaps of things that make you think "well thats pretty obvious isn't it". The whole movie is obvious really but like it says itself at the end "you want to be fooled". One of my favourite movies actually.

the entire movie was like one big magic trick, but the "prestige", so to say, is explained at the end, providing you with the explanation for the whole movie and unravelling its mystery. it's one of those movies that is suspenseful only a single time, because if you know the ending, all the suspense falls apart, just like a magic trick; when you know the trick, the trick ceases to be amazing (even if it's still entertaining)

Still a great movie, though. (I'm always shocked to see Serkis in movies, I'm always half expecting him to mutter "my precious" under his breath )
Just checked the movie again, 14 minutes in, Borden is speaking of a "innovative, great trick" that he has, when discussing that the old magician him and Angier are working for doesn't try anything knew. Angier says "Any trick can be duplicated", to which Borden replies "No". Borden has always had a twin, and never had anything to do with Tesla's machine.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Just checked the movie again, 14 minutes in, Borden is speaking of a "innovative, great trick" that he has, when discussing that the old magician him and Angier are working for doesn't try anything knew. Angier says "Any trick can be duplicated", to which Borden replies "No". Borden has always had a twin, and never had anything to do with Tesla's machine.

yeah, and the whole "this is the act" talking about the old chinese guy and committing your entire lifestyle to your trick much the same way he and his brother did to hide one another.
Quote by CoreysMonster

The monster is right. Both those things were explained in the movie. Angier explains the second part at the very end if you want to watch it for yourself.
another piece of evidence I just found:

When confronted in the morgue about which knot he tied Sarah with, Borden says he doesn't know, and he's been asking himself that, which he meant LITERALLY. He's not the Borden who tied the knot, so he doesn't know.
im just here to say i loved the movie.

clones were droped into the tank.

movie made me think a lot.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by Holy.

You had to be there.

this... oh the joys of UG meme's
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Movie made me WTF, but it was good.

*something about friendly weiner fire*
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by CoreysMonster
another piece of evidence I just found:

When confronted in the morgue about which knot he tied Sarah with, Borden says he doesn't know, and he's been asking himself that, which he meant LITERALLY. He's not the Borden who tied the knot, so he doesn't know.

that's actually really cool, I hadn't picked up on that
How the hell is this movie confusing? More importantly, how the hell is the Matrix confusing?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2