Alright, so I've played guitar for like 3 and a half years now, but I've always wanted a bass, and when I was doing work experience the place I was at had a bass marked down to $250 from $380, so I decided to get it.

It had obviously been sitting on the floor for ages (It was covered in dust) and was way out of tune.
When I first played it I noticed the action was really high, but I figured it was nothing and I'd just adjust it when I could be bothered.
I've now had the saddles lowered all the way down, and the action is still high, I've discovered this is due to the neck having a large bow (It dips down between the 15th and 9th frets).

I've tried adjusting the truss rod, but that alone doesn't seem to really do much, it even sometimes seems like tightening it makes the bow worse, but as I understand it, tightening the truss rod makes the middle of the neck rise/go straighter or whatever. (Knowing my luck I've gotten this completely wrong)

No pictures, because I have no clue where the camera is, and if I did I'd spend ages not getting many good shots.

Edit: As this was only a cheap bass (Stagg) I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but I do believe there is room for improvement.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
clockwise to tighten

just making sure
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Sometimes you may have to give the neck some time to settle after a truss rod adjustment. Adjust it and give it some time, then adjust again if needed. If you're really having issues, you can always take it to a shop or a tech and just get your whole bass set up.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
At this point I would take it to a guitar tech and not mess around with it anymore. I wouldn't have bought a floor model in that condition in the first place- unless you know what you're doing as far as adjustments/repairs go, you'll now be spending more money to have someone else fix the issue.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
At this point I would take it to a guitar tech and not mess around with it anymore. I wouldn't have bought a floor model in that condition in the first place- unless you know what you're doing as far as adjustments/repairs go, you'll now be spending more money to have someone else fix the issue.

Well as I said, it was a cheap bass, when you pay $250 for an instrument, you get $250 worth, it's still playable and sounds fine, it's just annoying with such a large bow. And I don't believe it would be worth it to pay some guy to turn an allen key a few times and put a new set of strings on there when I'm capable of doing that myself. My normal guitar does have a floyd rose, so I guess I am used to setting all this shit up.

The point of this thread was just to see if there were any tricks or special ways to set up a bass/fix a neck that has too much of a bow naturally. I made a couple more adjustments before and it seems to be straightening out fine.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Don't over turn your truss rod. Let the neck adjust to the changes first. If adjusting the truss rod doesn't work, you can trying shimming the neck.