Hey guys, since things in australia is overpriced, ive decided to make my own cabinets.
So i have a rough idea, I did a bit of woodwork when i was young.

Just a few questions,
1, Can I use MDF or plywood, since they are cheap here.
2, Do the speakers just sit in the holes? or are they screwed in?
3, Is putting the tolex on difficult? If so, can i skip this process and just pain the cab black?
4. How is the grill cloth installed? Is it just stapling the ends inside the amp and making sure it flood flat?

that is all the questions for now, prob have more later on.
Thanks.
Quote by Milotic
Hey guys, since things in australia is overpriced, ive decided to make my own cabinets.
So i have a rough idea, I did a bit of woodwork when i was young.

Just a few questions,
1, Can I use MDF or plywood, since they are cheap here.
2, Do the speakers just sit in the holes? or are they screwed in?
3, Is putting the tolex on difficult? If so, can i skip this process and just pain the cab black?
4. How is the grill cloth installed? Is it just stapling the ends inside the amp and making sure it flood flat?

that is all the questions for now, prob have more later on.
Thanks.

Hey.

1. You surely can. Plywood is much more better since it combines good durability with natural wood tissue. Plywood cabs tend to sound better because they "breathe" with the speakers as they have some resonants.

2. The speakers are screwed onto the front panel. They can be tightened either to the inner surface of the front deck or to the outer one. Many prefer the outer one as the speakers radiate the sound more widely into space.

3. Yes it is. And it requires some experience. If its the first time - you could use some guides/articles from peoplel describing their techniques. If you have a certain ammount of patience, you`ll do it well.

4. The cloth is put onto the outer surface of the front deck as soon as its made. Then you staple one its edge to the inner surface of the panel, then pull the opposite side around the panel and staple it there trying to have it correctly oriented and stretched somewhat equally. Then the same with the other two sides.
Be sure to make your fromt panel a little smaller then the boundaries it must fit into so the cloth won`t make it to thick to install in place.

Cheers. Ace.
Wow thanks, that pretty much answered everything, now i think i can start constructing.
My only concern at the moment is the tolex, so ill probably leave that. Are there any other options for finishing the amp, apart from painting?
Last edited by Milotic at Jun 23, 2010,
Carpet
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Milotic
Wow thanks, that pretty much answered everything, now i think i can start constructing.
My only concern at the moment is the tolex, so ill probably leave that. Are there any other options for finishing the amp, apart from painting?

The main thing why the cabs are getting wrapped instead of being painted is the vinyl surface durability. If you hit your tolex cab against a corner - the vinyl will absorb the hit without being torn or something, but paint will probably just break out as it sits on a rather soft wood (comparing to a dry paint layer). So in the latter case you`ll get an awful white spot on your all-new black painted cab

And yeah, carpet is fine though it looks a bit fancy. Tolex and tweed are the best for the job IMHO.
Last edited by Ace Carson at Jun 23, 2010,
You could try Paisley.
I saw a line of Paisley covered amps before.
..I was watching my death.
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I have a question that Ace might know the answer, and it might be of interest for you as well.

How much grill cloth do you need for a 2x12 cab? I'll need to get it from eBay, since I'll have a cab made, but I don't know how much to order.

I'd also like to know about corners: 2, 3 or 4 screws? Any recommendation?

Cheers!
Take Grade 9 math over again. Or was it grade 7 you learn how to calculate surface area?
LxW=A
Add all sides together after you've calculated.
By the way...
L=Lengh
W=Width
A=Area
Congrats. You are now super genius!

EDIT:
Corners:
You mean the covers right?
If so, depends on what look you want.
I don't think i've ever used 4 screw corner caps.
Quote by timbit2006
Take Grade 9 math over again. Or was it grade 7 you learn how to calculate surface area?
LxW=A
Add all sides together after you've calculated.
By the way...
L=Lengh
W=Width
A=Area
Congrats. You are now super genius!

OK, let's rephrase my question, then.

What's the average length and width for a 2x12 cab and how much more cloth should I buy to account for borders and whatnot?

For corners, I mean something like this.

Cheers!
Quote by strangedata
OK, let's rephrase my question, then.

What's the average length and width for a 2x12 cab and how much more cloth should I buy to account for borders and whatnot?

For corners, I mean something like this.

Cheers!

It all depends.
Sometimes, speaker companies reccomend a cab size for the peaker, for maximum power. Something like that.

Check out Bubonic_Chronics Cab Making Tutorial. You can find it in the Essential Links thread stickied at the top of this forum.

I edited my previous post a while ago.
But I'll post it again for fun!

Corners:
You mean the covers right?
If so, depends on what look you want.
I don't think i've ever used 4 screw corner caps.