I've decided to delve into the technical aspects of the guitar. Can anyone recommend sources from where to learn about pickups, types of wood, pedals, amp etc? Especially any good books.
Thanks.
You could do it by reading the specifications of guitars/pedals from the manufacturers websites, surfing forums and by subscribing to magazines. Check out Harmony Central for reviews on most stuff too, and you'll find that you pick things up as you go along.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Thanks, I'll do that. But I'm trying to avoid staring at my computer monitor for too long, aren't there any books that explain this?
wikipedia.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Just search on the internet?
I'd just keep researching on the internet to get information you need, even if it's just bits of information. You can always write them down, so you'll get a summary of information about what you just researched, if it's pickups, wood, pedals, amps, guitars, etc...

You can look at manufacturers' websites and reading the description and specifications about some of the products they have.

I got some information about guitars, amps, woods, and pickups from a few books at my local library. So if there is a library near where you live, try looking there.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Last edited by Mason12309 at Jun 23, 2010,
Oh, and try not to use Wikipedia all the time, it can be (not saying it always is) unrealiable from biased information, and wrong or misunderstood facts/information. Don't forget, anyone can edit articles on Wikipedia (that's what I heard anyway), and so this could lead to unrealiable information.
Gear:
-Peavey Vypyr 15

L.F.C
Last edited by Mason12309 at Jun 23, 2010,
You must sit atop a mountain of guitars for six years until you and the guitars become infinitely one OR google.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by bear.territory
http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Guitar-Definitive-Tony-Bacon/dp/1592231993

i bought this book from costco a few years ago, and man, it has EVERYTHING you could ever want to know about any type of guitar.

Someone commented that it's only about electric guitars, not acoustics?

Try some books by Tony Bacon, like The Ultimate Guitar Book, although if I can remember, that it talks quite a lot about history of some guitars and manufacturers. However, it does have a lot of information about the technical side of guitars, and it has exploded views of both electric and acoustic guitars, showing all the components of a guitar and their purposes.
Gear:
-Peavey Vypyr 15

L.F.C
Just google it dude.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Actually, I want to learn all I can about guitars in general, may it be classical, acoustic or electrics.

And, it may surprise some, but I actually know about Google. Shocking, I know.
I just want the advice of people who know more than me.
You can't always trust content you read on the internet- though other media forms aren't always a reliable source. I'd go to your library and start looking at books. You could subscribe to magazines as well. If you have any local music stores you could look there too. There's is one music shop that offers classes on how to build your own guitar and there's also a shop that specializes in pedal modification that does their own classes- you could search for those options in your area.
dave hunter has a bunch of good books.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well,reading and researching about all the hardware,woods construction methods etc. etc. will improve your knowledge..I think buying a book to learn about guitars is stupid when there is adequate free info on the internet..look up wikipedia and forums like UG,jemsite and sevenstring.org and you can learn lot by reading some informative threads or by posting any questions you have about them..
Do what I did: get your arse down to every shop you can possibly reach and play every guitar you can lay your hands on. Don't restrict yourself to just your town or city, go to the two or three other cities closest to you and see what is there. Take a notebook, write down difference you notice, models that stand out to you in any way (for positive or negative reasons), etc. Write down all model names, or if a shop hasn't put the exact model name up then write down the brand name and a brief description of the guitar's design. When you get home, go online and Google each brand; find the models you played, look at their specs. Compare what you thought about several guitars when you played them versus their written spec sheets.
This is the best way to get to know the differences between different woods, construction techniques, electronics and hardware. You can only learn so much from reading; if you don't go out and play the guitars for yourself, you're never going to truly know how they work or how any given element influences the feel or sound of any instrument.

The next thing to do is go talk to every luthier and guitar or bass tech in your area. They're the ones making their living from this stuff, they (should) know what they're talking about. Talk to them, ask them why they build their guitars the way they do, if your guitar needs any modifications or needs a set up then take it to them and ask to watch what they do (in terms of learning how guitars work, this is better than doing the job yourself because then you're trying to work out how the guitar operates and you're trying to mod it at the same time - if you're just watching you can focus entirely on sussing out what does what and why).

Lastly, build a guitar yourself. If that's too daunting for you, grab a kit guitar or some parts from Warmoth and put together a guitar that way (which is what I did - I simply do not have the tools or room to actually make a guitar myself, so Warmoth to the rescue; you'll still learn a lot). Nothing will teach you more about the inner workings of a guitar than drilling holes in pieces of wood and burning your hand with a soldering iron.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah can learn about them, but the best wayto actually gain knowledge is work on your own. i mean read about it so you dont do anything stupid, but you will learn with hands on expeirence.

do you have an old crap guitar? or a guitar you want to upgrade? i recently taught myself how to rewire a guitar and fix a broken pickup out of nessesity. i never would have known how to do so otehrwise.

unless i need custom professional work done, there is ntohing i really cant do. refinish wood, solder, setup, everything. right now i can fabricating a custom string tree cause i dont want to buy one and my strings are slipping on one of my old guitars (string tress stripped out of the wood).

then again, i am good with my hands and have enough equipment in my garage to build a guitar.

i mean you can take a beat up guitar and by yourself transform it. or a tech will you that a 300 dollar guitar would cost 300 to fix....and you would never own it. so...i fix my own guitars.
Become a luthier and you'll learn more. Google searches won't be anywhere near enough.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.