Lately iv been looking for a pickup to put into a guitar that i built. It's an SG/Strat looking thing, and i decided a p90 would be great for the guitar and for my taste. I'm willing to spend about $40-50. What i dont understand, is that i cant seem top find one for under $80. Musicians Friend has lots of single coils with good reviews in this price range and below, but the p90s just arent there. There are even quality humbuckers for this price. Isn't a p90 just a flatter, wider single coil? (correct me if im wrong) or is it actually more difficult/expensive to produce p90s? Do p90s come with some sort of "novelty tax" on them?
Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Maybe check out some GFS pickups... They have great quality for a great price.

Edit: ^ beat me to it
"A child can make sounds on a bass that I can't make, so nobody is better than anybody else." - Victor Wooten
Last edited by Dionysos95 at Jun 23, 2010,
well, P90's are made with alnico, which may increase the price slightly. but in general, i think they are so expensive because they are a bit of a novelty in that a minority of guitars run them. much like lipstick or soapbar pups you will pay for their unusual nature.

also, P90's are pretty synonymous with quality, and when people associate quality with a product then the price tends to increase. even though, as you mentioned, the P90 is nothing more than a big single coil pup.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Things cost what they do because people will pay it, it has naff all to do with production costs. Why do they charge so much for P90's? Because they can.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Be careful when you buy the P90 that it will fit into the rout in your guitar.

If you routed it for humbuckers, buy a Seymour Duncan Phat-Cat, which is a P90 that has the same dimensions as a regular Humbucker. Soapbar and Dogear P90s will only fit in guitar specially routed for them.
I think because they aren't made that much, which makes the production of them more expensive.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant