So I need a job for the summer but there is literally no where in town that has jobs so I was maybe thinking of doing some guitar teaching throughout the summer. I have some qualifications like I have Distinction* in First Diploma in music and Merit in National Award in music. We also done a subject in music where it tested you on teaching and I got a Distinction for it. But would I need any other qualifications to teach? obviously I wouldn't charge as much as actually teachers. Ohh, and my theory is up to standard I would day.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Hey dude! You need absolutely no formal training to teach (unless you got a formal job at a school). Also, don't sell yourself short and not charge. A lot of the teachers I know (some that will work for me one day) have never even been to school a day in their life! They're all self taught/private lesson taught, and are just good at helping people learn what they want to know about guitar.
Randy Rhoads was a popular local teacher before he was picked up by Ozzy, and he hasn't had a day of formal music schooling. Joe Satriani also didn't have any diplomas.
Oddly enough, I've found in my town that the more "qualified" a teacher was (the more diplomas, schooled, etc.), the more often they turned their students away from guitar! They teach them how to read music, boring book songs, and theory way to early on, and make the students quit guitar. Its like, all the knowledge and how you “should” learn has filled them up so much, that they forgot playing guitar is fun! Make guitar playing fun, teach people what they want to know, and you’ll do fine.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Yeah I completley agree, some of the best teachers I encounter could barley read. lol just kidding but it was close :-)

As long as you know your stuff and people like talking to you you'll make a great teacher and there really is no need for formal qualifications.
Yep, Just now what they wanna learn, Present the material the best you can but LET THEM figure it out, nugde them along and correct them but dont play it and say "Thats Excatly how it should sound" let them find their own voice in guitar!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I completely disagree with all of the above posts. You should NOT be teaching anyone professionally (yes that's right, if you're getting paid for it that makes you a professional) unless you know a sufficient amount of information about the guitar, music theory, etc.

Here are (IMO) the criteria necessary to be a guitar instructor:

-knowledge of all the working parts of both acoustic and electric guitars (this is actually a lot easier than it sounds)
-understanding of intervals, scale and chord construction, keys, time signatures, tabulature, musical notation, relative major and minor, tertiary harmony, scale harmonization (which can also be labeled under chord construction, obviously), and possibly modes (though I hope I'm not creating a disturbance in the force by mentioning them here on MT)
-the ability to effectively communicate ideas and concepts
-being good with people
-and most importantly... PATIENCE!!!

If you don't feel you meet all of these requirements, you should probably reconsider pursuing this opportunity until you do.
That was a given in the first place
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by canvasDude
I completely disagree with all of the above posts. You should NOT be teaching anyone professionally (yes that's right, if you're getting paid for it that makes you a professional) unless you know a sufficient amount of information about the guitar, music theory, etc.

Here are (IMO) the criteria necessary to be a guitar instructor:

-knowledge of all the working parts of both acoustic and electric guitars (this is actually a lot easier than it sounds)
-understanding of intervals, scale and chord construction, keys, time signatures, tabulature, musical notation, relative major and minor, tertiary harmony, scale harmonization (which can also be labeled under chord construction, obviously), and possibly modes (though I hope I'm not creating a disturbance in the force by mentioning them here on MT)
-the ability to effectively communicate ideas and concepts
-being good with people
-and most importantly... PATIENCE!!!

If you don't feel you meet all of these requirements, you should probably reconsider pursuing this opportunity until you do.

Um yeah, none of us said that you could teach if you didn't actually know how to play basic guitar... We said that you didn't have to have formal training/diplomas.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
^^ In that case, I apologize. I obviously misinterpreted your posts. However, what I said still stands. Now of course you don't NEED formal training or a degree in music to be a music/guitar instructor, but I personally wouldn't take lessons from someone without those qualifications. Plus, not every qualified individual turns people away from playing. My guitar instructor of 2+ years has degrees from Berklee, 40+ years of experience, and a very deep understanding and knowledge of theory. Obviously not every student would benefit (or be interested) from what he knows (most just want to learn a Zep tune or two), but what of the few who do? You have to be prepared for all types of students, because you more than likely will encounter them.

Sorry for the rant/block of text. Btw, I hope you know this isn't directed AT you but TO you, if that makes any sense. I'm not trying to be an asshole, I just really don't want to see more misinformation and such be spread than already is.