That while the song, chords, melody, sax solo, and all is in A Minor, when the harmonica comes in it's playing in A Mixolydian, with the b5 added in, and some REALLY dissonant microtones moving kind of in a dissonant half-whole scale line as it fades out.

I was learning the guitar parts for a 70's tribute show I'm part of, and am also taking the sax solo on guitar, and thought what the heck I'll learn the harp solo too and get the whole song. I'm VERY impress at the way that is played out.

This is the Harp solo slow: Here's the solo slowed down: http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/miked/missyouharpsoloslow.wav

This is the tab, I had to mix the octaves as I don't have a 24 fret guitar and it gets up there:

Harp Solo                     octave lower
E--------19-17-------------------------15-17-15----------------------
B--16-17-------20-17-16/17~~~~------17----------17-15-14h17p14-------
G-----------------------------14-16----------------------------16-14-
D--------------------------------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------

normal octave                 
E----------------------------------17-19----------------------|--------------
B--20--b17br16b17--15-14-15b17-----------20p17----------------|-15b-15b-15b--fade out
G----------------------------------------------19-18-19-18----|--------------
D----------------------------------------------------------19-|--------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------|--------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------|--------------

That bend at the end is somewhere between D and Eb, like a few cents flat from Eb...a Blues note essentially. I didn't tab the chromatic/dissonant bends at the end but listen...and enjoy!
I like that harp solo, but maybe because I've heard it so many times. The guy who played it is Sugar Blue who is a well known and established blues harp player.

I haven't analyzed the notes above, but going off of what you said, the blues can combine major and minor pentatonic scales. If you add the notes of the two scales together you get the notes of the mixolydian scale (if you exclude the b3). So I see this as a play on the minor blues scale (to pick up the b5) with additional notes from the pentatonic major (2nd and 6th degrees).
Quote by jsepguitar
I like that harp solo, but maybe because I've heard it so many times. The guy who played it is Sugar Blue who is a well known and established blues harp player.

I haven't analyzed the notes above, but going off of what you said, the blues can combine major and minor pentatonic scales. If you add the notes of the two scales together you get the notes of the mixolydian scale (if you exclude the b3). So I see this as a play on the minor blues scale (to pick up the b5) with additional notes from the pentatonic major (2nd and 6th degrees).

That's not the Blues though. The progression is just ||: Am | Am | Dm | Dm :|| And the other chords int he song are Em (the Vm) and F (the III). It a pure A Minor funk song. It's brilliant how that solo sounds over it.

The blending of the Major and Minor stuff is common over dom7 chords but the M3 is not very common AT ALL in a Minor tune, especially in a Im-IVm progression.

And yes it's Sugar Blue, I found that out since posting.
Last edited by MikeDodge at Jun 23, 2010,
Over 140 views and no one has an idea of how that happens...the A Mixolydian over a purely A Minor tune????

Well, I figured it out while driving to work this morning...

The main vamp is Am->Dm or Im->IVm. In music you can think of a I->IV as a V->I. Because we are moving in 4th's.

That's exactly what's happening here. If Dm was the Im chord, the V chord could be Am OR A7. Bingo...Sug is playing over A7 and puts the lean on Dm as the Im chord.

That's the answer. Listen to it again, you can hear everything come in to sync, or resolution when the Dm is played. Pretty sweet, can't believe that one deceived me...I'll never forget it...can't wait to use it else where.