does this happen to anyone else when picking or strumming? its not really so much of a problem as it doesnt effect the sound or anything, im just curious to know as it seems to be impossible for me to play most stuff without the first finger of my picking hand slightly touching the strings while playing
Practice.
Slow down.

You don't have any control over your picking hand at the speeds you're trying to play at.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im actually not playing that fast. It just seems to happen a lot of times when I play. I dont really notice it much because as I said it doesnt seem to just make me play worse, its just something I was curious about
yeah happens to me too sometimes. its the way i hold the pick. i cant curl the 1st finger all the way so when i strum sometimes my finger its the string. you can try holding the pick further out so the tip is a bit bigger
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
My problem I seem to have is that I do alot of palm muting and not palm muting, so when I take my wrist of the bridge, sometimes ill scrape the strings and it affects the sound of what im trying to do. I dont have the problem of my fingers hitting the strings.
Quote by mmnohmygod
Im actually not playing that fast. It just seems to happen a lot of times when I play. I dont really notice it much because as I said it doesnt seem to just make me play worse, its just something I was curious about

doesn't matter how fast you think you're playing, it's still too fast.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I know what your saying but it doesnt seem to have anything to do with speed. Its just what my first finger does I think. Ill give you an example anyway, if Im playing the intro to little wing my first finger hits off the strings a lot, but it doesnt seem to effect the sound. Its just something I observed, and Im not sure whether it annoys me or not
Your finger only goes where you tell it to, unless you're playing at a speed that exceeds the speed at which you're able to control your hand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ive been playing for 2 years and even when I play real slow it tends hit off the string, but I dont think its a problem cause when i try hard not to hit the string it gives the same sound if ya know what i mean. I think hit might be the wrong word, more so that it touches the string as I'm strumming or picking
i think steven seagull is right, plus hes experienced..id listen

i used to anchor part of my palm on the low e and a string when i would double pick the higher strings. you really gotta slow down..like a note per minute.

im sure its the way ur holding your pick...even if you try to change it and play like normal you will always go back to your old route UNLESS you play slow.

ball your hand up in a fist but put your thumb on top of your first finger..like shotting a missile out of a airplane. put your pick between your thumb and finger...NOW relax your hand maybe arange the pick a little differently so its nice and comfy.

you dont have to keep your fist balled up. that was just to try to make it easyer to explain.

its kinda like if you was gonna thumb wrestle.

thats just how i do it maybe u wont like it..but theres other ways to hold your pick without your finger getting in ur way.

what kinda pick u use?
Thanks for the replies.
The way you explained is pretty much how I hold it, with the pick between my thumb and first finger, and I have my first finger bent back a little with the pick sticking out a fair bit. It seems right but my first finger still touches off the strings, but as I said it really doesnt semm to cause much problems or mess the sound up, I dont think. At the moment I'm using a dunlop .73mm pick, sometimes .88mm
i used to use the dunlop nylons they lasted the longest and pick slides didnt mess them up as bad i went from .46 to .73 .88 and now 2.0 is my final choice. there black with the cool gator on it. its prolly the coolest guitar pick in the world..hands down plus its got a cool gater on it, and i havnt had to buy no more pics for years..they really last

maybe the pick bending is whats making your finger touch the strings?

you can search vids on youtube and lessons and columns on here for different ways of holding a pick as well.

thats what i did. just find whats best for you. but i found that even with the 88 they bend to much..and they will stay bent after having one a while..

im sure you can find a technique that doesnt make your finger touch any strings

i think everyone should have a 2.0 gator jim dunlop pick just because they look so cool
The only thing with a pick that thick though is its hard to strum with, particularly on acoustic
Quote by mmnohmygod
The only thing with a pick that thick though is its hard to strum with, particularly on acoustic

yes it is..it took me some getting used to, but i like the sound of it..its louder so its better for me when im singing and playing...

thats just what i like tho. by all means go with what you like dude..im just throwing ideas out there is all.

my cusin uses a thin pick..hes sloppy tho...i cant use them anymore not that id want too.
but everyone is different what ever feels comfortable