Poll: to ban or not to ban?
Poll Options
View poll results: to ban or not to ban?
ban it
42 36%
don't ban it
52 44%
don't care either way
23 20%
Voters: 117.
Page 1 of 3
Yep, the only thing I have to say is that this is total bullshit...

Although one of those things must be very impractical to wear in the Summer, especially in Spain.
It should be banned from being unremovable, which I don't know if it is or not. If you ask someone to take it off, they must take it off. Same with any clothing.
Quote by Mudmen190
It should be banned from being unremovable, which I don't know if it is or not. If you ask someone to take it off, they must take it off. Same with any clothing.

I agree, but it's part of their religion, and as you know, Islam > any European law.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Well UK made it illegal to wear hoods or hats into stores I think...

This is the same. You don't know who is hiding behind that burqa. That's why the want it illegal.

I don't think Allah is going to smite women for not wearing them. Maybe some angry Muslim men, but whatever. Full body coverings serve no purpose in any society. Strict archaic beliefs such as this one should be done away with. I hate to sound arrogant and/or ignorant, but Spain isn't the same as the middle east. It's not a big deal, and in some ways quite justified IMO. Many other countries plan to do the same at one point or another.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm talking about these:

not these:

I think those are both burkas?
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by Tedward
Well UK made it illegal to wear hoods or hats into stores I think...

This is the same. You don't know who is hiding behind that burqa. That's why the want it illegal.

I don't think Allah is going to smite women for not wearing them. Maybe some angry Muslim men, but whatever. Full body coverings serve no purpose in any society. Strict archaic beliefs such as this one should be done away with. I hate to sound arrogant and/or ignorant, but Spain isn't the same as the middle east. It's not a big deal, and in some ways quite justified IMO. Many other countries plan to do the same at one point or another.

Not the point. Freedom to do whatever the fuck you like as long as it doesn't harm someone else serves a huge purpose in any society.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Not the point. Freedom to do whatever the fuck you like as long as it doesn't harm someone else serves a huge purpose in any society.

+1,

who are you to say "what serves a purpose"? This law would be taking freedom away.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

Sometimes it's bad to be too open minded.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

Well I'm fairly certain 90% of Muslim women woudn't wear burkas if they didn't have to...
I seriously don't see any point of wearing a Burqa in the 21 century, I believe that the Islam should be modernised, but not through forced bans. I think that the Muslims should take the initiative and modernise the Islam laws them selves. (however that's unlikely to happen)
I personally don't care. I don't live in Spain
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I think completely banning them is no better than forcing people to wear them. I don't really see a difference. I suppose you should have to take it off only in security matters. For example, in Canada, you don't have to take off your turban whilst in the court room, and that kind of stuff. That was a real case here.
Quote by Tedward

Ninjas?

Quote by Tedward
Well I'm fairly certain 90% of Muslim women woudn't wear burkas if they didn't have to...

They don't have to. I suppose their husbands/families might force them to, but that's another issue, in my opinion. It shouldn't be illegal to wear them.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Jun 23, 2010,
I don't think you need to ban them everywhere, but ban them in places where you need them to be banned, like schools and banks and things.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
With all the problems in the World, Europe focuses on removing the plague that is a... Burqa.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
I find it weird when people say making the Burqa illegal is imposing on their freedom - seeing how that outfit and Islam in general can be very constraining on women's rights/freedoms.
Burkas, public enemy #1
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
It's absolutely stupid to wear, and something religious, so I don't agree with wearing it. BUt what can you do?

They should make it law to remove it when needed by law. Like taking a picture for passport or license. Or being in a public place like a bank or something, which someone else has already stated.

I'd love for it to be banned, because I think it's ridiculous, looks bad, is a symbol of sexism and a symbol of religion. But I know that's unreasonable and just opinion.
But reason also says that they must take it off when appropriate to do so. They should not play the religion card. That card should not even exist.
a few of my old friends are muslim.
all of them tell me that it's a cultural thing in the countries they originate from, and has been cultural since before the religion came about.

personally, i think that if you move yourself into a different country, you should at least try to fit in a little with those around you.
I think it's a stupid ban. There's nothing justifying it and all the arguments for it can easily be analysed and destroyed.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by technicolour
If kissing in public is illegal in Dubai....well then..

lolz people kill each other in somalia so lets just do it here yeah
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Ban it

Public safety always, ALWAYS is more important than religion.

Everyone has theur reight to expres their religion, but it shouldn't harm or distress others.

If someone becomes a scientologist it's cool, but that doesn't mean they can go firing high-tech sci-fi lasers at people.
Don't ban it. Europe is going bat shit crazy about Islam and I find it annoying.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
They should just ban it from stores and stuff to stop people from shoplifting and what not. Banning it all together is just stupid.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Ninjas?

They don't have to. I suppose their husbands/families might force them to, but that's another issue, in my opinion. It shouldn't be illegal to wear them.

Have you ever heard the term "honour crimes"?

They happen a lot. Just 2 weeks ago a Mom stabbed her daughter for staying out all night, and disgracing her family.

Or read about what happened July last year:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2009/07/three-arrested-in-the-deaths-of-four-muslim-women-the-deaths-of-four-montreal-women-who-were-found-d.html

Personally, I'd be shit scared to walk out without a burka in defiance of a husband or father (hypothetically of course )

I'm not taking shots at you or anything, but to say that banning burkas is against freedom, is pretty much saying you don't believe in womens rights in a way.

Quote by Tedward

They happen a lot. Just 2 weeks ago a Mom stabbed her daughter for staying out all night, and disgracing her family.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2009/07/three-arrested-in-the-deaths-of-four-muslim-women-the-deaths-of-four-montreal-women-who-were-found-d.html

Personally, I'd be shit scared to walk out without a burka in defiance of a husband or father (hypothetically of course )

I'm not taking shots at you or anything, but to say that banning burkas is against freedom, is pretty much saying you don't believe in womens rights in a way.

Aren't honor killings a product of Arab culture, and not Islam?

Banning something religious is taking away freedom. Most of the Muslim women in Europe that choose to wear the burka wear it for religious reasons. Why not support her right to cover herself up?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK

[IG]http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/994/004175_20.jpg

And look at the WBC, all white westerners are gay hating lunatics.

Isn't stereotyping a large group based on the actions of a very small group fun...?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Tedward

That's quite a large leap of logic to make.
Stereotypes usually have at least some truth behind them, at one point or another.

I mean look at Texas... that's a huge chunk of the USA that are gay-hating lunatics

The fact is, crazy shit still happens because of culture-clashes. The world needs a bit of assimilation to make things a bit more calm in the long run. Immigrants into western society just got the short straw unfortunately for them.

An example: would you be opposed to banning the capital punishment of "beheading by sword" in Saudi Arabia because that's taking away their freedom of culture?

EDIT: I'm picking on the Middle East but crazy stuff happens everywhere, like the last guy to be killed by firing squad in Utah.
Quote by Antis0cial
Ban it

Public safety always, ALWAYS is more important than religion.

Can you show me some examples where they were a public safety hazard? Not just reasons why they could be, but actual stories about them being a hazard.

I'd like to see that they are actually a serious threat before I decide if it is a good or bad idea.
Quote by Tedward
Stereotypes usually have at least some truth behind them, at one point or another.

I mean look at Texas... that's a huge chunk of the USA that are gay-hating lunatics

The fact is, crazy shit still happens because of culture-clashes. The world needs a bit of assimilation to make things a bit more calm in the long run. Immigrants into western society just got the short straw unfortunately for them.

An example: would you be opposed to banning the capital punishment of "beheading by sword" in Saudi Arabia because that's taking away their freedom of culture?

No, it's irrelevant. It has absolutely nothing to do with this whatsoever.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
No, it's irrelevant. It has absolutely nothing to do with this whatsoever.

quote Kensai not me. He brought up stereotypes.

Also, since when was the world Free? 4000 BC?
Quote by daytripper75
Can you show me some examples where they were a public safety hazard? Not just reasons why they could be, but actual stories about them being a hazard.

I'd like to see that they are actually a serious threat before I decide if it is a good or bad idea.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/07/2812378.htm

Not an extreme example, luckily there are none(that I know of)
Quote by Tedward
quote Kensai not me. He brought up stereotypes.

Also, since when was the world Free? 4000 BC?

It's not. It should be.
Quote by Antis0cial
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/07/2812378.htm

Not an extreme example, luckily there are none(that I know of)

If there aren't any extreme examples then why ban them? Should other things that could potentially be a hazard be banned?

I'd understand a ban if there was a constant stream of crimes being committed by people wearing them, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
It should be illegal to force someone to wear it, but the thing itself shouldn't be illegal to wear (except when identification is needed).
Page 1 of 3