Im building a home recording studio this summer.
These are the items I'm getting so far:

1. A new computer with a good sound card/good memory
2. Software
3. A mixing console
4. A dynamic microphone
5. A condenser microphone
6. Studio monitor speakers
7. All the wires and stuff
8. Stands, tags, labels, all that stuff

I feel like Im missing something important...

Now for recording with a microphone, do I HAVE to use a mic preamp? If yes, then why? Can I just plug my mic right into my mixing console and record like that?

Am I missing anything else important for a small home recording studio?
Alright, let me look at your list here:

1. Soundcard: I'd say get an audio interface over a sound card mainly because they are a lot more versatile than sound cards. There are plenty of good ones out there. If you need help, Just ask

2. Software: If you buy an interface, some sort of recording software comes with it

3. Mixing Console: You wont need one for beginning to record. Even then, most start in the $800 range

The rest: Yeah, for sure

You don't need a mic preamp. A mic preamp will just change the sound of your preexisting preamps a little bit. Even then, most preamps don't get good until about the $500 range.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Alright, let me look at your list here:

1. Soundcard: I'd say get an audio interface over a sound card mainly because they are a lot more versatile than sound cards. There are plenty of good ones out there. If you need help, Just ask

2. Software: If you buy an interface, some sort of recording software comes with it

3. Mixing Console: You wont need one for beginning to record. Even then, most start in the $800 range

The rest: Yeah, for sure

You don't need a mic preamp. A mic preamp will just change the sound of your preexisting preamps a little bit. Even then, most preamps don't get good until about the $500 range.

Can you recommend me a good audio interface? And about the mixing console, I was just planning to buy one off of Zzounds, for like 200-300 dollars. Not very big, like 8 mic inputs about but yeah.

Do you think I need anything else?
Quote by Zach101
Can you recommend me a good audio interface? And about the mixing console, I was just planning to buy one off of Zzounds, for like 200-300 dollars. Not very big, like 8 mic inputs about but yeah.

Do you think I need anything else?

a digital usb/fire wire or midi mixer?
or a like PA mixer?

if you just get a PA mixer you cant use the sliders to mix the music after you recorded it, you would have to mix it all and it will only recored as one track.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
a digital usb/fire wire or midi mixer?
or a like PA mixer?

if you just get a PA mixer you cant use the sliders to mix the music after you recorded it, you would have to mix it all and it will only recored as one track.

I think its a stereo mixer.. not sure which of those though..
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUS1641

Best I could recommend in the price range of $300 with 8 mic inputs. They aren't the best when it comes to running all 8 at the same time.

Also, as a side note, I officially hate ZZounds website. Its way too hard to navigate.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Ok well Im a bit of a noob at this... so why should I get an audio interface instead of a mixer? This interface that you showed me and the mixer Im looking at are about the same price.. so yeah which should I get and why?
Quote by Zach101
Ok well Im a bit of a noob at this... so why should I get an audio interface instead of a mixer? This interface that you showed me and the mixer Im looking at are about the same price.. so yeah which should I get and why?

All the mixing and processing can be done within your chosen DAW so there is very little need to buy a mixer. All you need to do is a get your audio into the software and an AI will do that for you.
Quote by piop
All the mixing and processing can be done within your chosen DAW so there is very little need to buy a mixer. All you need to do is a get your audio into the software and an AI will do that for you.

Oh ok I think understand now. An AI is basically for transferring my audio into my computer, and a mixer is I suppose more for live performances and stuff like that. But a mixer can perform the same thing as an AI right? And can I hook up instruments to an AI? Thats probably a dumb question, but just checking lol.
Quote by Zach101
Oh ok I think understand now. An AI is basically for transferring my audio into my computer, and a mixer is I suppose more for live performances and stuff like that. But a mixer can perform the same thing as an AI right? And can I hook up instruments to an AI? Thats probably a dumb question, but just checking lol.

the AI transfers your sound to your computer and takes out the lag.
the mixer will be able to mix your tracks(guitar,bass,drums,ect), but your recording software(pro tools,cake walk,acid pro,ect) has a built in mixing bored already.
you can buy one(mixer) with a usb port so you can control the mixer in your recoding software, with the one you buy(mixer with a usb) instead of mixing with your computer and mouse.

if you buy a usb mixer you can also do multi track recordings. as in you can have some one playing bass and some one else playing guitar pluged in to your mixer at the same time and it will show up as two tracks instead of one in your recording software.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Jun 23, 2010,
if you just get a PA mixer you cant use the sliders to mix the music after you recorded it