i have a gibson LP studio and i have a massive problem with the neck being "sticky" no matter how much i clean it, it becomes sticky a few hours after playing, there is no visible residue, anyone else had this problem?
its the finish on the neck it gets sticky with your sweat happens whenever i play my freinds acoustic
like supersac said, it's the finish on the neck. i have an epi lp custom and have the same problem. it doesn't really bother me much unless i need to constantly move up and down the neck, like the thunderstruck intro, and to solve it, i just wear fingerless gloves.
it's the finish my epiphone g-400 does that from time to time, you can remove some of the laquer and make the neck faster
Some ppl sand the finish off (rather hire a pro), some ppl use chemicals to make it smoother and some just play it a lot so that the stickyness simpy wears off. And others just sell their guitar and buy one without that issue. Pick your poison!
Quote by richie7410
like supersac said, it's the finish on the neck. i have an epi lp custom and have the same problem. it doesn't really bother me much unless i need to constantly move up and down the neck, like the thunderstruck intro, and to solve it, i just wear fingerless gloves.

This.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
i sanded my gibson down. that ish is annoying. the thing is that if you look at really old gibson's they don't have that problem because it wears off in time. So you can naturally let it age out after umm....1000 hours of playing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Nitro finishes don't need to be sanded down or whatever. They will stop feeling sticky if you just play them. Normally takes about six to eight months of regular play and that's it, stickiness gone but the neck will still look to be in perfect condition. If you sand the finish off you will of course ruin the look and value of the guitar plus you can actually damage the neck. Also if you're going to use gloves, don't use leather, rubber or fake leather gloves. They are almost always given various coatings which the nitro finish will absorb and it will perminantly stain the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by richie7410

An Epi shouldn't do that. They use polyurethane finishes.

To the OP, just give the finish some time to cure, it will wear in eventually. My les paul's neck isn't the slightest bit sticky anymore, it takes a few months to wear it in but its a better long term solution than sanding the neck down. Just keep playing the guitar, it will be fine before you know it.
same thing happened to me. just clean the back of the neck once in a while. it will wear out eventually and you cannot stop it. its what happens on a nitrocellulose finish.... while on my guitar it does.
When I got my LP Studio my neck felt a bit sticky as well, sometimes it was actually helpful when my hand would get really sweaty. Instead of rubbing it down, use your fingers, not a cloth, and rub real deep into it until it the stickyness forms a solid. Do that all over the neck until you've gotten as much as you can. Then clean your neck after. Also make sure to wash your hands after.I'm gonna assume Dirt and oil is probably plays a part in the buildup on the neck, why it happens more on LP Studios??? No idea, I guess every guitar has its own "thing" so to speak.

Never had this problem with my Gibson SG or my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus

EDIT:Oh and btw my LP was a '91 model and still had the stickyness
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 23, 2010,