Hello,

I had my first singing lesson yesterday - and I think it went fairly well. I have sung in the past, in shows and at home and have thought that I have always had good technique.

However, yesterday this teacher told me that I'm singing too much from the throat and I should use my diaphragm more.

Today, my throat is hurting quite a bit (especially when I gulp) - my voice is also very raspy. I have never felt like this before after singing, have had practically no pain in the past after doing so... but this is a first.

I know that 'pain' can be bad... but has this lesson gone wrong? Is the teacher telling me the wrong things, or pushing me too hard? (I told him I can go as high as an 'f', and he made me push up to a 'g'!)

Thanks,
AJ
he's probably right, straining you're voice and using you're throat and pushing will make you're voice raspy but i cant say its a lesson gone wrong because he pushed you to sing a whole step higher than your range.
He caused you to hurt your voice.

If a weightlifting coach told you to lift 10 kilos more than you could ever lift before and you dropped the bar over your throat after hitting it, would that be a successful training session?

Anything in singing that leads to pain or hoarseness means that you've done something wrong.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hmm, well at the end I told him it hurt whenever I gulped...

He said that it's ok if I have a sore throat after I've sung with him, because them he knows what i've done wrong. He then said that when I practise at home, I should warm up and then sing softly (without strain), no shouting at all (like I did with him)... is this alright?
This vocal teacher seems like a bit of an idiot tbh, at the end of the day, he shouldn't push you into an area that your straining so hard that it hurts afterward. That's just silly. If he does it again, i would seek another teacher, saying that he gave good advice to sing quietly, which means you will build up strength in comfortable parts of your range to push higher, but for now, I'd just be weary of him. Unless i missed something and he's really jesus II
Quote by theepiczebra
This vocal teacher seems like a bit of an idiot tbh, at the end of the day, he shouldn't push you into an area that your straining so hard that it hurts afterward. That's just silly. If he does it again, i would seek another teacher, saying that he gave good advice to sing quietly, which means you will build up strength in comfortable parts of your range to push higher, but for now, I'd just be weary of him. Unless i missed something and he's really jesus II

It was just a first lesson and I think he was just testing to see what you've got...it's very common for teachers to try and gauge their student's abilities (especially if they've never met you before), so I think he was just trying to see what level you were at. If he continues to strain you during a lesson then I'd be a little worried
I'd say cut him loose now. Two things...

1. He's making excuses for hurting your voice and turning it back on you. That just sounds shady. If he knows anything about technique, he will be really careful to ensure that you are not doing anything to hurt your voice. As far as the 'testing your limits' theory... When I take on a new student, I can tell a person is hitting their limits long before their voice starts to break up or get sore. It's really not hard.

2. Singing softly is more difficult to do *properly* without hurting your voice than singing loudly. So, chances are, you will sing softly by closing up your throat to restrict the air flow, which will lead to - you guessed it - more hoarseness. Nice.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'm just gonna say he better know what he's doing. Pushing yourself can be a good thing, I'd give him a few more lessons, but if it doesn't get any better I'd say get a new teacher
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
I wouldn't give him a few more lessons, just move onto the next teacher.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by sites.nick
I'm just gonna say he better know what he's doing. Pushing yourself can be a good thing, I'd give him a few more lessons, but if it doesn't get any better I'd say get a new teacher

yeah this, see where he's going and if you're not seeing an improvement move on quickly.

also agree with what axemanchris said, that whole sing softly to reduce vocal strain thing only works for some people and completely destroys everyone else. took me ages to figure out that I had good technique on the loud notes and just needed to pull away from that instead of forcing a breathy strained quiet voice.