What is the point of an OD pedal in the situation of having a tube amp with a good dirty channel? In what situation would an OD pedal come in handy if I have a designated clean channel and designated dirty channel and can easily switch between?

I feel like it would just sound like shit to put an OD pedal in front of an already medium-high gained tube amp. I think I'm missing something, can someone please explain to me the reason?

I'm referring to like Maxon, Ibanez, and Voodoo labs 808 types..
It makes it better. More gain, more defined...

Like if you have a crunch channel somewhere between clean and distortion, and you stomp on your OD now you've got more gain, more sustain, more clarity, with a good OD at least.

I thought my VTM60s highgain channel was good, until I bought an old 80s Super Tube for $50... the difference in tone it made was huge! And as far as I know, the Ibanez STL doesn't really stack up to the "better" Maxon RIs, original Tubescreamers and Fulltone OCDs and whatnot...

So even a cheap Bad Monkey OD could probably improve your tone quite a bit, depending on your amp. I would get something a little better if your playing with a Mesa or something though

EDIT:

With a two channel amp I'd use it as a designated boost for the lead channel.. the way I'm using it on my single channel amp is to have the gain about halfway and the level maxed to really fatten up the amps gain. Palm mutes go from crunchy to br00tz, and my STL is a really low gain OD.
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 23, 2010,
Fulltone OCD, `nuff said.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by Tedward
It makes it better. More gain, more defined...

Like if you have a crunch channel somewhere between clean and distortion, and you stomp on your OD now you've got more gain, more sustain, more clarity, with a good OD at least.

I thought my VTM60s highgain channel was good, until I bought an old 80s Super Tube for $50... the difference in tone it made was huge! And as far as I know, the Ibanez STL doesn't really stack up to the "better" Maxon RIs, original Tubescreamers and Fulltone OCDs and whatnot...

So even a cheap Bad Monkey OD could probably improve your tone quite a bit, depending on your amp. I would get something a little better if your playing with a Mesa or something though

I have an Egnater Rebel 30 through an Avatar vintage 2x12 cab with one hellatone 60 and one hellatone 30. That is when the cab arrives here on Friday..I'll be in the market for a couple pedals in mid July..I just wanted to see if an OD was genuinely worth it..as I can gain the amp pretty good since its 30 watts..I don't have to crank the volume to WTF levels..

I'm thinking some form of an analog delay and perhaps, like I said an OD..if I feel its worth it.
Last edited by burritosaregood at Jun 23, 2010,
Well, mostly, I'd use the pedal to get in between sounds. Like have your clean channel completely clean, no dirt at all, and then kick in the pedal for a little more drive and punch to it, or to get a Texas Blues sound. And on the distortion, use for more of a lead boost to add some cut and sustain.

Original Tube Screamers are my personal favorite. I'm just broke, and haven't gotten around to buying one. Borrowing is a great thing.
I can take the trouble, 'Cause I'm sixty feet tall.
So if you're playing metal especially, a good OD will make a huge difference in tone, but the gain on the Rebel might suit you as it is, so I'd wait a bit to see how it sounds with the cab and all and if you think you could go for the extra oomph go try out somes OD/Boosts
Quote by Schmeg Junior
Well, mostly, I'd use the pedal to get in between sounds. Like have your clean channel completely clean, no dirt at all, and then kick in the pedal for a little more drive and punch to it, or to get a Texas Blues sound. And on the distortion, use for more of a lead boost to add some cut and sustain.

Original Tube Screamers are my personal favorite. I'm just broke, and haven't gotten around to buying one. Borrowing is a great thing.

I ran a newer TS9+ into my Bugera BC30 when I had that amp..and it sounded like shit to me. Everyone seems to tell me the real older tubescreamers sound way better. I just felt like it cut bass out completely..
I use mine to give my channel a better tone, a cleaner tone, a more driven sounding tone.
My Amp gain will be about 10 O'clock and the pedal will have a good bit of distortion and level about 10... It's mostly about finding the sweet spots.
A lot of the time i just use it to get some sustain for solos and those big dive-bombed notes.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I love my Maxon OD9 in front of my ultra channel on my triple x. The amp has absurd amounts of gain but it is kind of fizzy gain. I find that if I keep the gain low on the amp and add back some extra saturation/sustain/harmonics provided by the Maxon 0D9 I have a perfect rich metal tone that the amp just couldn't deliver on it's own.

Some amps probably get the job done without an OD like Mesa Boogie, some Marshalls, EVH or Peavy 5150, etc. You'll notice there are a lot of metal guitar players today that are using ODs and many who are not, it's all about whether or not you can afford your dream amp or try to make up for not having an ideal amp (which is the case with me).

Since we're talking about OD pedals in terms of boosting high gain channels it is important to point out that the only pedal setting that is worth a damn is Volume on 10, Gain on 0 and Tone wherever you like. Click over to your clean channel and hear some awesome texas blues as someone else mentioned...like the true blood theme song if you've heard that.

Edit: I agree with post above about the od making palm mutes absolutely brutal and crunchy, that is probably one of the biggest benefits
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Last edited by fnichols1 at Jun 23, 2010,