Page 1 of 2
I am selling my Marshall mg100hdfx to a friend and am looking to get a new half stack. I was looking at the Line6 Spider HD150 stack:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-HD150-150W-and-4x12-Guitar-Half-Stack-887755-i1470629.gc

and also i was looking at the Ibanez TBX150H head and i would buy the IS412C cab with that.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-TBX150H-Guitar-Amp-Head-104481619-i1172859.gc#read-reviews

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IS412C-4x12--Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-104483227-i1172860.gc

i have an ibanez rg and will be getting a jackson dinky shortly after i get one of these amps. I play mostly metal like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya. Just trying to decide which would be better for this style.
Neither of those will be a significant improvement over what you have already.

Can you give us a more precise budget?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
i wasnt looking to spend more than 650 cuz the jackson im getting is 9 and im in college and have other shit to pay for
Any particular reason why you're lusting after solid state half-stacks? Are you gigging, or just practising? If you're just a bedroom player, there is absolutely no need to have a huge half-stack, unless you believe that the bigger the amp is, the better it is.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Section 5
Any particular reason why you're lusting after solid state half-stacks? Are you gigging, or just practising? If you're just a bedroom player, there is absolutely no need to have a huge half-stack, unless you believe that the bigger the amp is, the better it is.

Even if you gig, you don't NEED a half-stack, seriously
i never said i believe the bigger the better.. stop acting like that. i am clearing just asking which is better of the two amps. i am not buying a tube because i do not need/want one. i just wanna play metal. and i need a amp for jamming n shit and i am not going from a stack to a combo.
Spider IV wont be a huge improvement tone/quality wise than your marshall mg but it will give you a lot more flexibility. If you're stuck on one of those amps i'd get the Spider IV. Like others are suggesting, perhaps something smaller than a halfstack would be more appropriate? that way you could get a better quality amp as well. Contrary to what most people say the Spider IV can get some ok tones if you EQ it right; but again, quality-wise its still on the lower end.
I"m not sure if he's trolling or not...
Agile ps 900
Washburn Wi
Rogue bass

all running through podfarm platinum XD
Quote by xdukeofd
i never said i believe the bigger the better.. stop acting like that. i am clearing just asking which is better of the two amps. i am not buying a tube because i do not need/want one. i just wanna play metal. and i need a amp for jamming n shit and i am not going from a stack to a combo.

Mind telling us why?

If you want to stay solid state that's fine, but there are much better solid states out there than either of those. How important are cleans to you? Try looking for a used Ampeg VH140C or see if you can pick up a Randall G3 of some sort.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by xdukeofd

They're both as shit as what you already have, it's a pointless change.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by GNR4EVER

If you want to stay solid state that's fine, but there are much better solid states out there than either of those. How important are cleans to you? Try looking for a used Ampeg VH140C or see if you can pick up a Randall G3 of some sort.

+1
The Ampeg is a great SS amp...as are most Randalls if you're after a SS metal tone.

Quote by steven seagull
They're both as shit as what you already have, it's a pointless change.

and +1
Neither is an improvement...so I'd save your money and get something better, or just stay with the MG
i never said i believe the bigger the better.. stop acting like that. i am clearing just asking which is better of the two amps. i am not buying a tube because i do not need/want one. i just wanna play metal. and i need a amp for jamming n shit and i am not going from a stack to a combo.[/QUOT

hmm kinda a contradiction in there but suit yourself
check out the peavey vypyr will do metal much better than those other amps

seriously a combo isn't a bad thing i'd rather have a nice sounding combo than a crap sounding half stack
Since you obviously don't want to take any other amps into consideration and neither is really an improvement, I say just spend the money on hookers, seems like you need to blow off some steam
Quote by xdukeofd
i never said i believe the bigger the better.. stop acting like that. i am clearing just asking which is better of the two amps. i am not buying a tube because i do not need/want one. i just wanna play metal. and i need a amp for jamming n shit and i am not going from a stack to a combo.[/QUOT

hmm kinda a contradiction in there but suit yourself
check out the peavey vypyr will do metal much better than those other amps

seriously a combo isn't a bad thing i'd rather have a nice sounding combo than a crap sounding half stack

I like the peavey vypyr idea. if you want to go head you can get the vypyr 120 head version which isn't too far up in price from the Spider IV HD150.

I think the Spider IV might be better than your MG for metal though if you're dead set on the original two amps you suggested.
Quote by xdukeofd

Randall is a good choice as well but i've heard the RX is not as 'balls to the wall metal' as Randall's other amps. I've seen some videos though and it still seems pretty metal to me as long as you EQ it right. If you find a used G3 or G2 that would be better but the RX should do you fine. Also if you can find a used T2 or V2 that would be optimal.

Randall has released a new version of the T2 and has lowered the price from the original, maybe a little too much for your price range though?

http://www.music123.com/Randall-T2-Series-T2HL-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head-423976-i1525925.Music123

I would suggest going to some music stores and playing any Randall's, spiders and vypyrs they have. If you can't play any then I would suggest finding sound samples on youtube etc. to get a general idea of the sound (although youtube is OFTEN a poor representation of amp sound).
You should worry about whether an amp sounds good instead of whether it's a halfstack or whether it's tube or solid state.

650 bucks gets you a Randall RG50 or a Peavey Classic 30. Get a boost pedal with either and they do metal. If you look at used stuff, a Peavey XXX or Ultra plus a 1x12" or 2x12" cab would be within budget (though you do have to keep an eye out for this stuff, of course).

The amps you are currently looking at are garbage, why sell a crap amp just to buy another crap one?
the valveking will probably need a boost to do metal...but its a step in the right direction from the other amps
Valveking's better than the stuff you were previously looking at, but the amps I mentioned earlier are still better.

Seriously, there is no such thing as a good halfstack you could buy for $650 new, just forget about it. Such amps are just an easy way for a manufacturer to sell a big box of crap because it's easy to market halfstacks.

EDIT: Wait, VK halfstacks are $900? Complete ripoff considering how mediocre that amp is.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 24, 2010,
http://www.samash.com/p/333%20212%20Guitar%20Combo%20Amp_-49984638

$650

will peel paint off walls and obilterate the MG in terms of power and quaility of tone.

If your ego really can't cope with the idea of a combo then you could always get the head version and run with the crappy MG cab until you can afford something decent.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

If your ego really can't cope with the idea of a combo then you could always get the head version and run with the crappy MG cab until you can afford something decent.

He's right, sorry if it's sounds rude, but now you have two choice: get an amp that looks badass or get an amp that sounds good, at that price, you unfortunatly cannot do both. If you want an halfstack, do for it, we are just trying to help make an enlighten decision by telling you that, at your budget, you won't get a quality halfstack.
You really need to stop thinling that a combo would be a down grade from a halfstack
get a carvin x199b half stack. wide range of tones and cheap. and its tubed also :P

got mine for 500 bucks.
A combo is not a downgrade from a half-stack at all.
In theory they are exactly the same thing, just with a combo the speakers are in the same enclosure as the amp, apart from that there is absolutly no difference.

Also, a half stack will be harder to move around.

If you just like the idea of having the amp seperate to the speakers, because if you later decide that you don't like one part of it, you can upgrade it, that's cool. But girls won't sleep with you and record labels won't sign you, just because you have a half-stack.

You really need to get that mentality out of your mind, so many people come by this forum almost every day with the stupid mentality that a half stack is somehow superior to any combo, it's just plain a and simply not true.

Also, I would actually go as far to say that apart from the annoying muddyness, your MG is actually a better amp than either of the amps in your original post. They certainly wouldn't be an upgrade.

If you like modelling amps, you should look at the Peavey Vypyr, especially the Tube version, even the solid state one is FAR superior to the two amps that you mentioned in every way possible.

If you buy the Valveking, don't buy the matching cab, as it completly sucks ass. Also, with that amp, you'll need a boost to play metal, as has already been mentioned.

Then again, low end modelling amps are designed for use as PRACTICE amps, making the fact that they make high wattage half stack versions, completly ridiculous. It's just a way of making stupid people give them their money.

Either save more money, buy a Vypyr, or just stick with what you have now.

Also, you should stop thinking about spending all your money on guitars if you have suck an awful amp, amps will have much more impact on your overall tone than a guitar will.

Peace.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by xdukeofd
and why is everyone always so hostile like relax bro

It's out of worry and concern.

They think your amp is going to suck... AGAIN!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by sstony
The Line6 is better then the Ibanez TBX. End of story

Why? Because it has 15 different shitty tones instead of just 1?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Why? Because it has 15 different shitty tones instead of just 1?

No, because the tbx does´nt have any good tones.
sstony you win. for the rest of you, fuzzlove end your miserable lives please. i thought facebook was the only place with people who think they know everything. thought wrong. i clearly asked what is better. i do not care if they are both trash. which is better of the two is what i wanted to know. that MG stack was garbage. stop saying it would not be an upgrade. just give up while you have the chance. theres no time for this.
If you don't have time for people's opinions then don't come to a forum, a place designed for people to give you their opinions.

Everything I said was true and intended to help you not waste your money, I was only being nice, if I didn't want to help you then I wouldn't have bothered writing out all that information. Even if you honestly don't agree with what I said, you should at least respect the help that people give you, and not tell people to end their 'miserable lives'. I don't think I know everything at all.

The person who 'wins' just so happens to be the only person who agreed with you, funny that.

Stop wasting good peoples time.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by xdukeofd
sstony you win. for the rest of you, fuzzlove end your miserable lives please. i thought facebook was the only place with people who think they know everything. thought wrong. i clearly asked what is better. i do not care if they are both trash. which is better of the two is what i wanted to know. that MG stack was garbage. stop saying it would not be an upgrade. just give up while you have the chance. theres no time for this.

Fuzzlove was just trying to help you and you tell him is to end is miserable life
You don't make sense, he gave very good advices that you should really consider or at least respect. If you don't want help don't ask for it
Page 1 of 2