Hey

I recently recorded and uploaded my first successful recording. It's a short jazz improv with some blues parts, inspired after listening to some Miles Davis. I'm very proud of the way it turned out, even though it was recorded through a really bad computer mic.

The point of this improv was to try to mess with dynamics and really play soulfully.

Anyway I'd love to hear your comments and if you have something you want me to listen to and give some input, post here!

Link to the improv:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Angry-Mares/
Last edited by Angry-Mares at Jun 23, 2010,
I can't really hear any chord movement. And that recording hurts...
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Yea, Kevy said what I was going to say. It's a bit harsh for Jazz. Take 'er easy, play your instrument like a pretty lady. Most Jazz guys mess with their volume/tone knobs like crazy. So when you're gonna hit a chord really hard like that. Turn your volume knob down or your tone knob down before hand. That makes the change a whole lot less aggressive and a whole lot more Jazzy.

Also, dude! Roll off mids and bass right now! Haha, It's overbearing. Basically, with most amps you don't want everything turned up all the way on the EQ. It leaves your tone sounding muddy and boxy. Just mess with the EQ and try it first with everything half way turned up. Trebles, Mids, Bass, halfway. And if there's too much of anything there then cut it a bit more. Sometimes I turn the treble way up and use a different pickup. Then I turn my tone knob on my guitar down to get it sounding a bit different.

One more thing, if you used an EQ in whatever program you're using to record... Take it off. If you're not quite sure what you're doing with the EQ, it's better to just leave it alone. EQing is mostly about subtracting really weird frequencies. There is sometimes a hint of boost somewhere.

It is always slight though. You're goal in music/recording/mixing/live is to get every instrument to fit in it's place. If your guitar and your bass are playing in the same frequency range, usually you'll cut a good load of bass frequencies out of your EQ. Same with your amp/live. Sure when you're playing by yourself, you want more bass because there is no bassist.

But when there is another instrument, it needs to fit in there as well. Guitar in jazz is very much a baritone instrument. So those lower bass frequencies on the pickups are nixed a good amount with the EQ on the amp because bass is suppose occupy those lower ones.
Last edited by gabestigmatic at Jun 23, 2010,
I see I see. That's really good advice, thank you.

I used Audacity to record. I didn't mess with the EQ, but I lowered the volume in some places and slightly raised it in others in order to make it sound more fluid. I can still tweak those really loud parts to a more suitable level and make it so that they don't hurt the ears .

As for my amp, I never do the max treble/bass/mids setting. The reason why the sound isn't top quality is because it was recorded with a $10 computer mic.

Did you like the playing though? I was very happy with the way it turned out because it's very fluid and I worked on that vibrato a lot.
The core techniques are definately there. The vibrato was good, and you had some very smooth note transitions. I won't repeat what ^ said, but definately follow his advice. Also, for future recordings, if there's any way you could get some backing chords or something, it'd really help make the recording sound more complete. As it is now, you're doing the musical eqivelent of being quoted out of context. The melody and notes make don't have any framework to exist in, and it kinda takes away any impact the sound. If you're using audacity, you should be able to record a backing progression with relative ease.

Oh, and I did dig the guitar tone, when it wasn't over powering. Very bluesly. Hit me up with any recordings you do with a more full arrangement; I'm curious to see what you can do!

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329737
-------

"So if 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', then isn't 'congress' the opposite of 'progress'?"
- John Stewart, Daily Show