I have an old Suzuki acoustic guitar which needs a truss rod adjustment. The strings are close to the fretboard at the first frets but really high on the 12 and higher frets. The only thing i'm worried about is if i can do any harm by trying to turn a truss rod that probably hasn't been touched in 20+ years.

Also, the back of the neck is chipping/coming off the body and i don't know if that will affect anything.

I'll include some pictures and i'd like to get some other opinions.

Don`t. If you make the neck even more bent the strings will go even higher. You don`t need to touch it until you adjust the bridge to an appropriate string height.
You take that bridge out and sand it a little, but be shure to have a flat perpendicular base surface in the end.
When you think that the strings around high frets are low enough, play every string on every fret and see if the strings will buzz around 3-5 frets. If they do - you`ll need to unscrew the rod. If they don`t - do not touch it and be happy.

Cheers. Ace.
Quote by Ace Carson
Don`t. If you make the neck even more bent the strings will go even higher. You don`t need to touch it until you adjust the bridge to an appropriate string height.
You take that bridge out and sand it a little, but be shure to have a flat perpendicular base surface in the end.
When you think that the strings around high frets are low enough, play every string on every fret and see if the strings will buzz around 3-5 frets. If they do - you`ll need to unscrew the rod. If they don`t - do not touch it and be happy.

Cheers. Ace.

The bridge is already low as it is. Plus, i believe that lowering it anymore would cause buzz on frets 1-5
I think you have it backwards. The first thing you adjust is relief, then string height at the bridge and nut, then intonation.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
I'd give it a few turns. One thing that I always do before adjusting the truss rod, is sight down the fretboard to see the bow. Put the headstock up to your face and look down the sides of the fretboard, this'll make it easy to see the bend.

I adjust until the fretboard is fairly flat. Always adjust the truss rod first, then adjust the bridge.
Quote by ohspyro89
I'd give it a few turns. One thing that I always do before adjusting the truss rod, is sight down the fretboard to see the bow. Put the headstock up to your face and look down the sides of the fretboard, this'll make it easy to see the bend.

I adjust until the fretboard is fairly flat. Always adjust the truss rod first, then adjust the bridge.

i haven't adjusted the bridge, but its just low already