I've started to build a pedalboard, but I would like to know which pedals would be essential to my board, and which ones I would use very little.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that delay and noise gate would go somewhere at the top, and effects like flanger and tremolo would go at the bottom.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
depends on what you play, how you play, and what gear you already own.
Quote by WtrPlyr
There is no such thing as an essential pedal, except tuners. No pedals are essential.

OK, fine smartass.

Which pedals would be used the most?

I play instrumental rock, hard rock, and a little bit of metal.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
If your amp is a non-metal-oriented tube amp, I'd have an OD box high on the list. A compressor would also be up there. The noise gate depends on the rig, but it's definitely important if needed. Some people control their own mix with a volume pedal, so for them, one of those would be very important. For me, a delay would be important, but not for everyone. A wah would fall into the middle of the list for me. At the bottom, I would put phasers, flangers, auto-wahs, octave effects, whammy pedals, etc. AND AT THE VERY BOTTOM... ring modulators. BUT THIS IS ALL FOR MY OWN STYLE OF PLAYING.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by GoIrish668
OK, fine smartass.

Which pedals would be used the most?

I play instrumental rock, hard rock, and a little bit of metal.

Probably overdrives and distortions.

But the real question is, what are YOU looking for?
Quote by WtrPlyr

The real question is, what are YOU looking for?

Bolded for emphasis
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
the most important pedals in order are

essential: lovetone meatball
next up: klon centuar
next up: mike's salty romance explosion

that's it.

anyhow what kind of question is this. what sounds do you want to come out of your guitar speaker box thingy. not even every guitarist has the same pedals of each type on their board.

for serious? in my opinion?

ts9 or 808. 616 analog delay. lovepedal eternity boost.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by WtrPlyr

Exactly!

People in general use OD/dist, delay, wah, chorus, noise gate pedals more than most other things, a lot of the time anyway.

But pedals are a very personaly thing, there is no such thing as essential, people can't tell you how to do music, it's all up to you. Maybe should read my sig.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
For your style you need some distortion or od, my suggestion is try out everything u can and everybrand you can because you will be surprised what you can find

I suggest an eq too, they are essential for me exause once you make your sound perfect in your ears, all other sounds can sound not so great

I suggest a volume pedal if you would personally benefit from it, it can add real style to your sound

a flange phaser or wah can also really make a great sound, but try out before you buy
you may want a wah cuz ur fav guitarists use em but you may not benefit at all from it. That's my input feel free to critique or message me a you please and best of luck
Depends what you are playing.

I'd argue for a lot of styles it'd be OD/Distorsion/Compression/Equaliser/Reverb/Delay/Phase Modulation/Wah........
Danelectro 63 - Epiphone Valve Junior.
I've narrowed it down to a mere 4 pedals:

Distortion/OD, Wah, Delay, Boost

never use anything else
Guthrie Govan = Guitar Genius
My Pedalboard is simple:

Tuner, TS9DX and a Carbon Copy
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by WtrPlyr

Bolded and made bigger to re-make the point.

There's no way any of us can say "you'll definitely need this!" Because personal preference/Budget situation/Gear you own are going to make a huge difference.

Your genre's have no set effects usage anyway. You can use nothing or you can use everything.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

You need to be far more specific about what you need.

Since you seem to be unable to do so, I am given to think that you don't really know what you want and are simply putting a pedalboard together because social convention suggests that you do so. That's the wrong approach.

You are doing this backwards. You need to think about your sound, what is missing from it, and what needs to be filled most urgently. It could be you don't need anything.

Generally speaking (and because we all like to rattle off lists) and to be helpful:

A tuner is a good idea if you have any intention of playing live. You need to be able to tune silently and efficiently.

If you are doing any kind of lead work, some kind of boost is a good idea.

If you want to spice up your lead work, a delay is a nice touch.

If you want to do cool things to your cleans, a chorus or reverb is a good idea.

If you need to fine tune your tone, look into a solid EQ.

If things get super noisy and you are already on an isolated power supply properly grounded, look into a noise gate.

If you want wah, get a wah.

ETC.

When you decide what kind of thing you want, then people can help you with what specific pedals you should look into.
no one can tell you this man. for example i prefer modulation like flanger than delay.
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
If I could only have one pedal, it would be a booster. Overdrive would probably come second.
I asked something along these lines earlier and from the responses I am starting with Tuner/OD/DIST/DELAY and until I figure those out and what is missing from my tone/sound I will add/replace/or subtract
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic