I've tried videos, lessons, everything, and its not working. How do you "roll" your fingers? Most of the strings ring when I do it.
You can get a bit of ringing if your sweep involves anything where a few notes are barred (all on the same fret) but try a tad of palm muting, and sweeping is all in this one word
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE,
we not talkin about the game, we talkin about PRACTICE. and thats all you really need,
Quote by Metallica_Man55
There's already a thread on this...

where is this thread you speak of?
Quote by Jordan5150
where is this thread you speak of?

Ever heard of a search bar? There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of threads on this topic. Not to mention the sticky.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Ever heard of a search bar? There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of threads on this topic. Not to mention the sticky.

yeah the sticky is where it is. i created my own thread on sweep picking that got slightly popular, but that was before i found out about the sticky and that was probably almost two years ago.
At one point in my guitar playing I was almost solid that I'd never be able to do it and almost completely gave up. However, I didn't give up, and now I'm pretty solid on 5 string sweeps just from using one thing: A METRONOME. Heres what you do, start with a 3 string arpeggio, and using your metronome play the arpeggio as slow as possible until you have it completely perfect at that speed. When it's perfect, speed up by as little as 2 beats until you have it perfect, speed up, speed up, etc.

I literally lost hope until I did this. I remember sitting on my floor playing the same 3 string arpeggio for hours and hours until I had it perfect. If you have the patience, do what I did, it's worth it.
The best thing to do is piss on your fingers a little bit, this allows you preform the "rolling" effect much easier. Also try and get a hold of a few cans of whipped cream since doing whippets will make sweeping as easy as jerkin ur gerkin.
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Quote by Grapejuiceksjdf
The best thing to do is piss on your fingers a little bit, this allows you preform the "rolling" effect much easier. Also try and get a hold of a few cans of whipped cream since doing whippets will make sweeping as easy as jerkin ur gerkin.

lol
Quote by Grapejuiceksjdf

way to be a smartass..

does anyone palm mute or anything when they sweep cuz i "roll" my fingers like it says but the strings ring open when i do it..
Quote by Jordan5150

way to be a smartass..

does anyone palm mute or anything when they sweep cuz i "roll" my fingers like it says but the strings ring open when i do it..

Yes muting is very important and essential for clean sweeps. I use palm muting when ascending and left hand muting when descending.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
If you're talking about what i think you are then it's all in your 'rolling' finger.

If you're playing the same fret for three different notes, you need to roll the finger so the string you just played is deadened, then repeat for the second note. This stops them ringing out together.