Page 1 of 8
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=18815

The White House press release was full of buzz phrases, but short on details. It did however indicate that the U.S. government may increasingly monitor filesharing networks and BitTorrent sites and assist media groups in their prosecution/threat letter efforts. It speaks of improved "law enforcement efforts at the Federal, state and local level."

The biggest effort, though, will be devoted to cracking down on piracy websites in the U.S. and overseas. The administration was short on details of how exactly it would convince piracy-loving nations like China to change their ways, but it did say it would try to do so by "being as public as we possibly can" about infringement.

The White House's vision is perhaps a prelude to the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which will go before Congress later this year. The bill would make P2P or BitTorrent client development a criminal offense if the distributed software was used for infringement. It also implements an interesting provision called "imminent infringement", which allows the government to charge people who they think might be about to infringe with a civil offense (for example if you searched "torrent daft punk"). This is among the first official "thought crime" provisions to be proposed by the U.S. government. The bill also makes it a criminal offense to bypass DRM.

I personally don't like this.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Jun 23, 2010,
I have nothing to worry about.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
thats not as bad as the bill that got put through in the UK
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
Last edited by thrash-it-up at Jun 23, 2010,
I wish they eliminated spam, not piracy.
Or at least eliminated spam first. IMO, spam is more of a problem.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
meh, people will find a way around this. and when the government find a way to stop that, pirates will find a new way again.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
I havent got the message. What does this mean for the internet users?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by thrash-it-up

Or sweden =/

Quote by Simsimius
I wish they eliminated spam, not piracy.
Or at least eliminated spam first. IMO, spam is more of a problem.

Spam might be infinitely more annoying but it's difficult to get rid of and not worth the cost I guess.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
they don't care about piracy, this is another one of their ways of trying to further monitor us in every aspect, frickin big brother
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."

That is all.

Wait, no it's not. They've been saying this for years and years. They're trying to be the all powerful government and scare people into stop pirating. There are bigger issues than piracy in the US right now. Nothing will change.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
That's for all you guys who didn't believe Obama is a reptilian.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by thrash-it-up

Which is?
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Shiver me timbers!!!
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Government attempts to stop piracy using tactic A.

Pirates find way around government by using solution A.

Government attempts to stop piracy and solution A by enforcing tactic A and introducing tactic B.

Pirates create solution B and continue to pirate.

Lars Ulrich sues a music website.

See how it all repeats?
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
So does that mean only torrenting sites, or are rapidshare, megaupload, etc. going to be monitored as well?

Either way, if people want to pirate songs and movies and software badly enough, they will find a way.
Quote by primusfan
they're cracking down on stealing? what a travesty.

People aren't making a profit off of the torrents/files. It's more like sharing but I rather not get into the debate about whether torrents and the like are good or bad.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
This is the important part

The White House's vision is perhaps a prelude to the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which will go before Congress later this year. The bill would make P2P or BitTorrent client development a criminal offense if the distributed software was used for infringement. It also implements an interesting provision called "imminent infringement", which allows the government to charge people who they think might be about to infringe with a civil offense (for example if you searched "torrent daft punk"). This is among the first official "thought crime" provisions to be proposed by the U.S. government. The bill also makes it a criminal offense to bypass DRM.

The rest is just noise
Quote by RockGuitar92
People aren't making a profit off of the torrents/files. It's more like sharing but I rather not get into the debate about whether torrents and the like are good or bad.

That's the problem.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
That's the problem.

I meant the users who upload them and download them. They aren't selling the files for a smaller price than the dvd companies. They are giving them away for free.

Quote by pak1351
This is the important part

The rest is just noise

I just copied and pasted part of it. I didn't really focus too much on what paragraph was the best.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by the_unforgiven6
Which is?

The Digital economy act, google or search bar it.

Quote by damian_91
That's for all you guys who didn't believe Obama is a reptilian.

ALL HAIL OUR LIZARD OVERLORDS!!!
Quote by RockGuitar92
I meant the users who upload them and download them. They aren't selling the files for a smaller price than the dvd companies. They are giving them away for free.

So if I steal something from you, and give it away for free, it's okay?

My point is that it's illegal, and that can't really be changed.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Laptop > Library or other Wifi spot > Torrent like crazy > Go home happy with new stuff

edit: Also, Rapidshit/Mediafire/Megaupload.
Quote by rockingamer2

They obviously have to purchase whatever it is in order to upload it in the first place. Plus stealing something from me isn't the same as a file that can be copied. It's not like what I have is actually gone.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
They obviously have to purchase whatever it is in order to upload it in the first place. Plus stealing something from me isn't the same as a file that can be copied. It's not like what I have is actually gone.

So you make a beautiful table out of wood, it's so good that you patent it. But someone pays you for a copy of the plans for it, for their own use. But then they use the plans to mass produce it and give it away for free. You don't make any money from their actions.

Is that not stealing?

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by rockingamer2

That's completely different.

If my band has a record out and some goes in and buys it, then go home and burn 1000 copies and hands them out for free, then that's great for me. Cause that's probably 750 people who wouldn't have listened to it otherwise and helps promote my music.

Pirating isn't stealing from bands, it's from the record companies. And some wouldn't even buy what they're pirating in the first place. It's not a big problem IMHO.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44

If my band has a record out and some goes in and buys it, then go home and burn 1000 copies and hands them out for free, then that's great for me. Cause that's probably 750 people who wouldn't have listened to it otherwise and helps promote my music.

Pirating isn't stealing from bands, it's from the record companies. And some wouldn't even buy what they're pirating in the first place. It's not a big problem IMHO.

Fair enough. It's not like Warner Bros or Viacom are short on money.

Also

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It also implements an interesting provision called "imminent infringement", which allows the government to charge people who they think might be about to infringe with a civil offense (for example if you searched "torrent daft punk").

That is disgusting.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Quote by JayT44

That's a different debate. As long as people realize that pirating is stealing, I'm fine.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
So you make a beautiful table out of wood, it's so good that you patent it. But someone pays you for a copy of the plans for it, for their own use. But then they use the plans to mass produce it and give it away for free. You don't make any money from their actions.

Is that not stealing?

Well I sold the plans to them...so no. It's not stealing.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by RipeFlesh
That is disgusting.

I guess that means I can't search pictures of pirates anymore because I'd get sent to prison.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by Scutchington
I guess that means I can't search pictures of pirates anymore because I'd get sent to prison.

Big Brother is watching.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by JayT44

I might be blowing air out my ass, but I think that record companies make bands pay for a certain amount if they don't sell enough of a CD.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Quote by RipeFlesh
That is disgusting.

Someone call the ACLU!

Quote by RockGuitar92
Well I sold the plans to them...so no. It's not stealing.

You sold it for their personal use. Not to copy and give out to everyone.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
Someone call the ACLU!

You sold it for their personal use. Not to copy and give out to everyone.

Meh.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid