Just yesterday, the bridge pickup started turning pink at the top. I have no pics right now cuse I'm posting this from my Itouch, but I'm guessing it's rusting? Anything I can do or will I have to replace the covers? It's not affecting the sound at all, it just looks odd.
It's probably just your sweat reacting with something in the covers, I can't imagine it doing any real damage other than looking weird.

Guess it's an excuse to get some new pickups, eh

But no, I wouldn't worry. Until it affects the sound, or goes onto the pole pieces, you'll be fine.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Ok, thanks. That's what I said. It's an excuse to get some better pickups. :P. It was used anyways so I expected something odd to happen soon.

So when I want it to look nice should I get new pickups or new covers? Apparently they sell covers for around 20 bucks, and new/better pickups cost about 70-120$ each. Is the sound difference big enough to warrant a new pickup purchase?
Last edited by Jerkofwar at Jun 23, 2010,
Rusted pickup covers really won't make any difference whatsoever except look bad. so unless your super anal retentive about the appearance of your guitar, it shouldn't be a problem. Almost all the humbucker screws on my SG are rusted, but it still plays beautifully. And yes like said above it's mostly from sweating.
it wont be a problem as long as the rust stays on the surface. if you try to scrape it off itll likely get into the poles and start self-destructing the pickup, so just remember that
NOPE
I might replace the covers sometime. Only when I know tons of people are gonna see the guitar though. I really just wanted to know if it would turn into a disaster sometime, which it's most likely not, so thanks.