The high E on my electric guitar (which is a squier affinity strat) has a 12 fret note which is flatter than the open note, and I've turned the screw on the saddle left so it goes foward and tuned the string open, but it's still flat on the 12th fret. I've looked at tutorial videos on youtube and they don't work on my guitar. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks
Last edited by Torn_Asunder at Jun 23, 2010,
Turn the knob as much as is required and make sure you're turning in the right direction. If you can't get it right, try streching the string some and start again.

Are the strings new?
Intonate your guitar.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Move the saddle forward until the 12th fret note is exactly the same note (only an octave higher) as the open note.
Quote by Eddy~
Turn the knob as much as is required and make sure you're turning in the right direction. If you can't get it right, try streching the string some and start again.

Are the strings new?

The strings are atleast 2 years old, it's my friends guitar, she hasn't changed them since she got the guitar
Quote by Tinderwet
Move the saddle forward until the 12th fret note is exactly the same note (only an octave higher) as the open note.

will it matter if the screw goes back inside the saddle from loosening too much?
Quote by Torn_Asunder
The strings are atleast 2 years old, it's my friends guitar, she hasn't changed them since she got the guitar

Try changing the strings...when you get them stretch them put them on the guitar and stretch them out .then try intonation.
Quote by Zayrank
Try changing the strings...when you get them stretch them put them on the guitar and stretch them out .then try intonation.

thanks i'll do that
Quote by Torn_Asunder
will it matter if the screw goes back inside the saddle from loosening too much?

No, as long as there's enough thread to hold the saddle, it's ok.