All
I need to improve my right hand technique. I have been playing for a while but still have trouble in this area. The issue isn't stamina as I play a lot of metal. The issue isn't strumming chords.
I can alternate pick very fast on one open string. The issue is when I am pedaling on one string and have to play something on another string.

Here are a few songs that give me the most trouble if it will help to show you what I mean.

Ozzy Osbourne-Bark at the Moon
Megadeth-Wake up dead, Holy wars, Blackmail the universe
Collective soul-Heavy

Here is what I have been doing. I have been working on skipping string exercises. I have been focusing on relaxing when I pick and using short motions. I have also been doing chromatic exercises

I would appreciate some suggestions on what I should specifically be doing to improve this area.

Woem
oky doke

what i suggest is make sure you do a few stretches with your wrist to loosen up the muscles before you play and do a proper warm up so your good and reaxed.

then you need to practise them slowly, break the riffs down into small chunks if you have to.

what suggest is practising the riff at 60bpm to a metronome for 2 minutes and then spped it up by going up by 10 beats, down 5 beats, up 10 beats and so on

so:
60 bpm
70 bpm
65 bpm
75 bpm
70 bpm
etc
etc

and you have to do this virtually every day to get into into the muscles memory

another technique that i find good is slowly doing a little gallop or down pick, rest more 5 minutes, then pick the note.

for example

----------------------------
---------------------------
-----------------------------
---------------------------------
---------------------7-----------
--000---pause---------pause--

for about 2 minutes
Last edited by jkielq91 at Jun 23, 2010,
You are going about things right...now all you gotta do is be consistent with practice habits. Just keep trying and something should click.
Do you have trouble, like playing the main riff to CRAZY TRAIN. which is alt. pick, then chord.
Here is what I have been doing. I have been working on skipping string exercises. I have been focusing on relaxing when I pick and using short motions. I have also been doing chromatic exercises

If you want to work on a small specific problem, work with small specific exercises. Write or learn a whole bunch of riffs that'll work the problem area and you enjoy playing, and slowly perfect them.

Just to check - you're not just elbow spazzing when you're "fast on one string", are you?
PARKWAY AND PROM QUEEN there is a hell of a lot of that
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Yes I do have a bit of trouble with crazy train. The alternate picking and then chord. Any suggestions?