So for the past few months i have been lusting over a certain analogue delay pedal, watching countless videos, reading reviews and information. Over a year ago i GAS'd a delay, and stuck with a Boss DD-3, but always wanted to one day replace it with the warmth that is analogue delay. so now came the day, after much debating whether to have a quick trip into london, i traded in the Boss, added some birthday money, and so...

can you guess it yet?

how about now

I sure hope you can tell by now...

That's right! It's the Malekko Ekko 616
I have to say i am so happy with this pedal! i didn't get to try it out in the store (vintage and rare in Denmark Street) cos it was quite busy, but i didnt need to, i got this thing home and love it!
It's great for slapback echos, and should act as a great way to 'wetten up' the clean tone of my blackstar HT-5, which sounds a bit empty due to the lack of reverb. On the AC30 the slapback sounds are great, really livens up clean playing.
Longer delay times on this thing are great, with the warm repeats you can get great ambient effects, especially when set just before oscillation! Add in the modulation, and thats where this thing gets crazy!
I'm still getting used to this pedal, but the modulation is very fun to play around with, and really livens up simple playing, especially with the more extreme pitch bending sounds. At high feedback you can create really cool ambient soundscapes to play over, however it takes some practice getting it to sound right, and im still only tinkering with it, some online demos really show what this thing can do.

All in all, i am very happy with this purchase! really quite the step up from my Boss DD-3, which had very sterile, lifeless sounds, which is still fun! But not totally what i wanted. The 616 however is a dream to play!
So that is my GAS ended for now!

I will try to record some clips over the next few days, but im off to Exeter for the weekend to see my girlfriend, so it might take a while!

In other news, i also swapped the transistors in my homemade fuzzface, which i call 'The Mother Fuzzer.' It is now loaded with 2N3904 transistors (i think they were) and it has done exactly what i was looking for! An even thicker, fuzzier sound, great for gritty fuzz tones, while my Big Muff w/wicker handles the smother fuzz tones.

So, those are my pedal endeavors! I'm happy... for now

Edit: sorry about big photos! atleast you can see the 616 in all its... um... red goodness!
Last edited by jaybals at Jun 23, 2010,

HNPD, I love 616.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Awesome. Happy new pedal day! It look so red and analogy. I wish the stores around here sold Malekko pedals... Enjoy.
ok, after a few days of playing (and getting back from a visit to devon yesterday) i have decided, i frickin love this pedal!

i have recorded two quick tracks on my page to show some of the sounds this thing can do, nothing special, i have record-a-phobia, and seem to play more sloppily when i know its being recorded (that's the excuse i will stand by ) but it still displays some of the pedals sounds!
Quote by jaybals
ok, after a few days of playing (and getting back from a visit to devon yesterday) i have decided, i frickin love this pedal!

i have recorded two quick tracks on my page to show some of the sounds this thing can do, nothing special, i have record-a-phobia, and seem to play more sloppily when i know its being recorded (that's the excuse i will stand by ) but it still displays some of the pedals sounds!
haha I know what you mean, man. Whenever myself and my band used to hit record, we all froze up.
I don't understand why poeple still buy carbon copies with this thing on the marked seriously
HNPD
Quote by Sguit
I don't understand why poeple still buy carbon copies with this thing on the marked seriously
HNPD

yehh, i never bothered with the carbon copy because this is the same price, and i have GASd this ever since seeing the first PGS demo haha. I hear the CC is very dark, whereas this pedal can sound either bright or dark using the buffer/true bypass switch. Plus the ability to change the modulation settings really helps.
I had tried an EHX memory toy before and really liked its clean delay tones, but its modulation really let it down! And the deluxe memory boy was a real disappointment for me when i tried it, modulation wasn't useable, repeats just weren't warm enough for me either, but the tap tempo was really good, especially with the ability to set it with 'tap divide' was really cool, and the effect loop could have been cool if i got a chance to try it. I'd like to see what putting a fuzz in a delay effect loop could sound like... hmm...

But of the delays i have used, this one is certainly miles ahead of them!

Quote by AngryGoldfish
haha I know what you mean, man. Whenever myself and my band used to hit record, we all froze up.

The worst is those days where everything you play is absolute sh*t
nice, malekko makes great stuff.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.