Ok, I am really confused here. I was looking at a Carvin Legacy 1, and I read about people putting in a master volume in there. So I assume that means that the Legacy doesn't have a master volume. So does that mean that I can't get preamp gain without breaking my ears? I doubt that's the case, but I don't know. If not, then why would you want a master volume? To avoid my confusion, lets use the words preamp distortion and loudness (for volume)

I have a feeling I just need to have master volume re-explained to me
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

the master volume controls the overall volume of the amp,you may have the volume of the gain channel on 10 but it will not be deafening as the master volume controls the overall volume
i've never played a legacy so i'm a little bit confused by what actually happens with this amp. it seems like it has a volume control on the overdrive channel. dunno why it wouldn't also affect the clean channel, it makes me wonder where the od channel volume is in the signal path.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 23, 2010,
I'm not familiar with the Legacy either (and admittedly did not bother to look it up) but does it have separate Gain and Volume controls for each channel? If so, then it may be set up like my Quick Rod. If that is the case, a lot of Splawn owners use a volume box or volume pedal in the effects loop to control the overall volume of the amp.

Every amp is different so someone might have to look at the schematics to give you a more concrete answer.
The Legacy has separate Gain and Volume controls. The master volume mod is useful because you can set both channels volumes to wherever you want to get a good balance, then if you want to get louder you dont need to adjust both volumes, changing the balance, you just turn up the master. I'm pretty sure thats what the MV mod is for.
^ So basically its just to make both channels equal volume?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

^Yeah I saw that earlier searching for info. Looks definitely worth it. However I do NOT want to toy with my amp like that. How much would your average guitar/amp tech change for that type of mod?
Quote by blackflag49

only real benefit i can see from that is that it lets you crank gas up the gain on the clean channel.