ive noticed that in alot of jazz basses there are these random metal bars that are screwed in and go over the strings like this one http://www.axeseekers.com/galleryimages/1965FenderJazzBass.jpg i was wondering what this did, like doesnt it get in the way? is it just to look cool? what is it??
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
They're bridge and pickup covers. In the old days, the pickup covers on Rickenbackers were actually part of the horseshoe magnet used in the pickups, but today they're just for looks.

People often put them on Fender's to give them that "vintage" look, as chrome covers used to be issued stock with Fender basses. I've found the pickup cover can make a handy anchoring point though, much more comfortable then the edge of the pickup.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
They're bridge and pickup covers. In the old days, the pickup covers on Rickenbackers were actually part of the horseshoe magnet used in the pickups, but today they're just for looks.

People often put them on Fender's to give them that "vintage" look, as chrome covers used to be issued stock with Fender basses. I've found the pickup cover can make a handy anchoring point though, much more comfortable then the edge of the pickup.

I dont you, but dam.
looks. a friend claims it makes his pickup less dusty.

I'm unsure how he can tell ,':/
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Fender also used to think it helped with shielding. Whether it does or not is debateable.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
cool, thanks for clearing that up everyone.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.