Page 1 of 2
Alright so the guy lives about an hour away and is on his way. What do I need to look for on this thing? Like is there anything that these guitars do or that breaks on them that I need to check for?
Its a faded brown 2008. I did read they come with the pickups that come on the standard so thats cool, but it looks like its in great condition and the guy wants $550, comes with a case, and hes delivering it(about an hr drive).
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
make sure to check the neck if its warped, and before you actually buy it, plug it in and make sure everything works. idk how pissed id be if i just payed 550 for a guitar and after he leaves i find out it doesn't work.
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Last edited by soulsablaze at Jun 23, 2010,
You might want to check the serial before handing over the dosh.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
I can see the serial, but its hard to read some numbers.

*edit* Oohhh no links?
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 23, 2010,
dont
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
That looks like a solid deal to me. Look over it and play it to make sure it is to your liking.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Carrot
dont

Please explain.....i mean anyone can say dont, but do you have experience with lower end Gibsons?

*edit* Ohh im not supposed to post links then eh?
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
was a silly comment but yeah
ive played the studios and low end SGs when i was looking for a new guitar as my "rock" guitar ended up getting the explorer i have now,

i didnt like the neck at all on any of them, too big/thick for me. they were ok guitars but not worth getting one for me

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
was a silly comment but yeah
ive played the studios and low end SGs when i was looking for a new guitar as my "rock" guitar ended up getting the explorer i have now,

i didnt like the neck at all on any of them, too big/thick for me. they were ok guitars but not worth getting one for me

I have played a black studio, but the kid that owned it didn't have it setup so it was slightly awkward. Also the kid used a 5watt SS, and had different pickups then what are on this one.
The only thing I didn't like was the weight, it felt a bit light compared to my buddy's Epi LP Standard.....I guess ill just have to play it, still man hes driving over an hour so I feel obligated to buy it. If im really getting screwed then im not going to buy it, but Ill post when I get it.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Ask for the serial number beforehand. When you get it play it, a real gibson will be heavy and bulky. with sturdy feeling parts. Plug it into an amp before you buy as well. The 498 in the bridge should be pretty hot. As they're one of the hottest pickups gibson makes
shouldn't be heavy. i'm pretty sure the guitar is supposed to be chambered, but i might be wrong about that particular model.
wrong. studios are not chambered. I owned a studio and it was a dead weight, easily one of the heaviest guitars i've ever played.
Quote by handbanana
wrong. studios are not chambered. I owned a studio and it was a dead weight, easily one of the heaviest guitars i've ever played.

another reason i didnt get one,

TOOOO heavy

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
another reason i didnt get one,

TOOOO heavy

and the reason i traded mine for an SG Standard.....
Quote by handbanana
Ask for the serial number beforehand. When you get it play it, a real gibson will be heavy and bulky. with sturdy feeling parts. Plug it into an amp before you buy as well. The 498 in the bridge should be pretty hot. As they're one of the hottest pickups gibson makes

Its got probuckers or whatever. The ones that come in the standards.

As far as weight....I love a heavy guitar. If its the weight of my friends Epi LP standard then im happy. I had an Epi double neck, now that was to heavy......lol
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Alright I got it, its light...it is chambered. The serial is 022280330
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
all les pauls are chambered except custom shop historics unless they are chambered reissues.
those heavy studios are just terrible wood.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
all les pauls are chambered except custom shop historics unless they are chambered reissues.
those heavy studios are just terrible wood.

My friends Epi LP standard weights at least 2 lbs more. Maybe its just because it a different wood or something? I dont know. I do know it needs to be setup. Im going to upload some pics. Im not too familiar with setting up LP's
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
that's because epi's are even worse wood.
epi gets the heaviest wood which is the wood with the highest mineral content. it's like 10 percent rock 90 percent wood.
Gibson r9's and limited edition customs shops get the best wood.

Look at it this way, a r9 has to be under 8 pounds. That's 8 pounds unchambered solid wood.
You've got some epi's and lower end les paul's hitting 6,7, 8 pounds chambered.
Think about how heavy that guitar must have been before chambering. 10, 11, or 12 pounds.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Got the strings off and im about to wipe it down.

Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by handbanana
uh, just because your studio was not chambered doesn't mean the TS's is not chambered.

before 2005, NO les pauls were chambered. if they weren't historics, then they had the swiss cheese holes. regardless, still weight relieved.
Weight relieved and chambered are not the same thing. One (WR) is some strategic holes drilled to reduce weight because as you mentioned the best woods are for the Custom Shop models the other (C) is rather large areas totally routed out of the body. Pickup up a new Standard and new Traditional and the difference is quite noticeable (ie Standard is several LBs ligher in weight).
Moving on.....
I dunno, my gibson was WAY WAY heavier than my Epi was.

And now i'm going to say DUH to the TS. You didn't tell us it was the faded model, that explains the price. no wonder. thats legit
Quote by handbanana
I dunno, my gibson was WAY WAY heavier than my Epi was.

And now i'm going to say DUH to the TS. You didn't tell us it was the faded model, that explains the price. no wonder. thats legit

the faded's are a great line of guitars, and in the flying v's case its exactly the same minusthe finish, and IMO the faded looks better and lets the wood breathe

and TS with the serial number 022280330 i ca tell ya it was made in '08 on the 222 day of the year and it was the 330th made on that particular day
never said the faded was bad, but they for just under $800 new, as opposed to nitro finish ones that go for $1000-1300. Just saying it explains the price. I'm not a fan of the burstbucker pros, but other than that the gibson faded guitars aren't that bad. My friends SG Faded is still a very nice guitar if you ask me.
2008 Faded models have the 490R/498T. The Burstbuckers I'm pretty sure came along in late 2009.

He also did say that it was a "faded brown" model.
Play it. If it feels good in your hand, everything seems to be sturdy and well-fitted and it gives you a tone you like, buy it. If it fails any of those, don't buy it. Pretty simple.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alright, I got it setup and cleaned. Plays like a dream. I think the 9's are a bit weird on it. Which is odd because they work great on my strat, but...anyway.

Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
That's a brown beauty for sure

I always liked the faded brown finish.

The .09's on there might feel weird because the LP scale is 24.75" and the Fender scale is 25.5"

nice guitar, and HNGD!

That doesn't look like an arch top there. Are you sure that is a LP Studio? That sure looks like a el cheapo bottom end Gibson. I remember my girlfriend trying to get me to buy one of those at Guitar Center.
Quote by spiderjump
That doesn't look like an arch top there. Are you sure that is a LP Studio? That sure looks like a el cheapo bottom end Gibson. I remember my girlfriend trying to get me to buy one of those at Guitar Center.

Its an arch top I assure you. It is a bottom end Gibson technically. Plays and sounds great though.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
That's a brown beauty for sure

I always liked the faded brown finish.

The .09's on there might feel weird because the LP scale is 24.75" and the Fender scale is 25.5"

nice guitar, and HNGD!

I dont understand the "scale" measurement, but I have to say I like my mexi strat a bit more. I have bigger hands so maybe thats why, but still love both of them.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by teamhex

I dont understand the "scale" measurement, but I have to say I like my mexi strat a bit more. I have bigger hands so maybe thats why, but still love both of them.

I believe the scale measurement is the length from the bridge of the guitar to the nut. a 25.5" scale is longer than 24.75", so the 25.5" scale is going to have more tension at the same tuning, with the same strings than a guitar with a 24.75" scale in the same tuning with the same strings.

I can't explain it really well, but that's about the best I know how. Hopefully someone else will come along and give you a better answer.

You might want to buy .10's for the LP if you like the feel of .09's on your Strat.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I believe the scale measurement is the length from the bridge of the guitar to the nut. a 25.5" scale is longer than 24.75", so the 25.5" scale is going to have more tension at the same tuning, with the same strings than a guitar with a 24.75" scale in the same tuning with the same strings.

I can't explain it really well, but that's about the best I know how. Hopefully someone else will come along and give you a better answer.

You might want to buy .10's for the LP if you like the feel of .09's on your Strat.

Nah man it makes since. I dont understand how there would be more tension, but I do understand what you mean. I also notice my fingers are alot closer together when im playing around the 12th frets. So i guess the fret spacing is different depending on the scale.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
From 2007 onward LP Studio's were weight relieved, so they will feel very light comparitively. That LP shown above is authentic, and honestly you overpaid, for $250.00 more you could have had the EXACT same one new.

However, the Studio's are excellent guitars and very hard to tell by ear the differences between that and a Standards. Nice guitar, rest easy it's real and it's quality.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
2008 Faded models have the 490R/498T. The Burstbuckers I'm pretty sure came along in late 2009.

He also did say that it was a "faded brown" model.

Burstbuckers came out in 2000 worldwide I think. They came out in Japan before I think, but I'm not 100% sure of that one.

And congrats on the guitar! People often jump to conclusions and say Gibson are awful, when really, you just have to find the right one for you. Congrats man
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by SpawnedX
From 2007 onward LP Studio's were weight relieved, so they will feel very light comparitively. That LP shown above is authentic, and honestly you overpaid, for $250.00 more you could have had the EXACT same one new.

However, the Studio's are excellent guitars and very hard to tell by ear the differences between that and a Standards. Nice guitar, rest easy it's real and it's quality.

I dont feel I overpaid. I mean the guy drove over an hour and delivered it.

The guy who set it up for me said thats a pretty good deal. It did take a risk though. It was a bit dirty and needed strings, but it cleaned up well. I cleaned it then played it for an hour, then took picks, so realize its spotless minus some belt rash.

Quote by Lil Macker
Burstbuckers came out in 2000 worldwide I think. They came out in Japan before I think, but I'm not 100% sure of that one.

And congrats on the guitar! People often jump to conclusions and say Gibson are awful, when really, you just have to find the right one for you. Congrats man

Yeah man, the Burstbuckers come on the cheaper studios(less finished I guess) and the ones with an actual clear finish came with the 490R and 498T. Some say their better, other like the Burstbuckers....preference I guess. All I know is its a great guitar and other then wanting to add a few lbs to it its perfect. I just have to get used to going from my fender to this thing.
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Lil Macker

I'm not saying Burstbuckers didn't come out until last year, I'm saying the faded models didn't come equipped with them until last year.

I believe the overall cost of the Faded finish models decreased, and to keep the price the same without having to lower the price of two of their Studio model guitars, they put in $130 pickups in them.

@OP

There would be more tension on a 25.5" scale because its longer than a 24.75" scale.

With my guitar, its a 24.75" scale. I use light top/bottom heavy strings, mostly in Drop D, right now I have it in Drop C. My guitar teacher's guitar is a Telecaster and has a 25.5" scale with .10's I believe.

There's just as much tension with the bottom 3 strings being .10's of his guitar, as there is tension on the bottom 3 strings on my guitar that are .11's.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Lil Macker

I think the BBs came out sometime around then but weren't available to buy on their own until a few years later. I know they were first only available on the gary moore signature but then were released to the public but I bought one of the first production runs of the burstbuckers back when they were still unpotted and using PE wire. I believe that was around 2002 or so. Wow, its been a long time...
Quote by SpawnedX

And when he walks out the door with a new guitar, they're worth the exact same, so whats the point of not saving $250?
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by al112987
I think the BBs came out sometime around then but weren't available to buy on their own until a few years later. I know they were first only available on the gary moore signature but then were released to the public but I bought one of the first production runs of the burstbuckers back when they were still unpotted and using PE wire. I believe that was around 2002 or so. Wow, its been a long time...
And when he walks out the door with a new guitar, they're worth the exact same, so whats the point of not saving $250?

1. Warranty.
2. The comfort in knowing it's genuine from the start and not needing to make posts such as this.
3. Completely unplayed, unused, unworn, guitar.
4. 30 Days to play it to decide if that particular one is great or one of the ones that is a dud.
5. Ability to choose a different finish if desired.

At what point does the savings not equal the benefits?
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Page 1 of 2