I know a few girls who sings at choirs and I've been thinking about playing guitar with them

I have to arrange everything and print partitures for them, but there's something I'm not sure about:
If I want them to sing a chord, all I need to do is assign one person to each note of the chord, right?

I can't just try it because I don't have a choir with me. If I gather them, everything needs to be already prepared

Thanks
Voice leading is actually fairly complicated. Basically, yes, you want them to sing in harmony(everyone singing a note of the chord) but the problems arise when you move from chord to chord. Certain movements sound good and some sound bad. I'd recommend getting a book on voice leading or looking for an online resource.

Do you have a keyboard? Even if you don't play, it's much easier to write music for many voices on a keyboard instrument than a guitar.
Quote by siskoX
If I want them to sing a chord, all I need to do is assign one person to each note of the chord, right?

that's a very simplistic approach, but i suppose it would work. you'd be better off studying voice-leading, though.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by Declan87
Voice leading is actually fairly complicated. Basically, yes, you want them to sing in harmony(everyone singing a note of the chord) but the problems arise when you move from chord to chord. Certain movements sound good and some sound bad. I'd recommend getting a book on voice leading or looking for an online resource.

Do you have a keyboard? Even if you don't play, it's much easier to write music for many voices on a keyboard instrument than a guitar.

I should've mentioned that it would be a small choir (3 to 5 girls) and the part I want them to play is fairly simple. Reading a book for that sounds a little excesive, but I'll think about it

And no, I don't have a keyboard. I could write it on guitar pro's keyboard, but it would sound like crap

Quote by AeolianWolf
that's a very simplistic approach, but i suppose it would work.

That's exactly what I need
I'll just give it a try and see what happens. Thanks to both of you
Last edited by siskoX at Jun 23, 2010,
3-5 girls? i wouldn't consider that a small choir -- that's like a quarter of a small choir. since you likely have half the sopranos and half the altos of a small choir, and even that, that's only half of your backbone choir - you're still missing tenor and bass.

you probably only have two voices, then - soprano and alto. writing for two voices is much easier than writing for four.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.