I hope this is the right place to post this...

So I'm going on holiday to Florida with my girlfriend in a couple of months, I want to look for a rather nice 'special' kinda bass while I'm there, maybe a nice vintage musicman or fender or maybe a modulus. This might sound stupid but, will I be able to bring it back home to UK with me, without any problems or additional costs etc?

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but I haven't been abroad for about 10 years, so I don't know much about it.

Thanks in advance.
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
There's basically no way to move it around for free, if you want to take it on the plane you'll have to pay for getting it checked (assuming you have a case that meets TSA standards). Maybe the shop you find it in would be willing to ship it to your address via UPS/FedEx/some other shipping, a lot of stores in tourist-attracting areas have that sort of policy regardless of their product.
Yeah it won't be cheap to get it home...
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
you could always drive...
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
If I get it shipped over will i have to pay anything in the way of customs/tax etc?
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
I don't know, I've only shipped things from stores domestically. You'll have to try to find out.
If you are shipping it, I'd suggest getting a proper flight case and checking it, unless it's a small short-scale or headless that you could take as a carry-on in a gig bag. If you do have a small bag for the bass, you can ask a flight attendant at the gate if they can fit it in the overhead compartment, or if they can put it in the plane's closet up front, otherwise, you'll have to check it.

By chance, are you stopping by Bass Central?

EDIT: here in the states its like $15 to check a bag under 50 lbs, I don't know if that holds true with international flights, but I don't see why it shouldn't.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 23, 2010,
Just call your airline and let them no, you'll have no trouble i promise if your flying a decent airline like british airways, you'll be able to take it as carry on too.
Ship at your own risk. A lot of airlines doesn't take any responsibility if your instrument breaks during flight. If you ship via courier services, you'll be responsible for any sales tax in your country. I've flown my bass a few times across the world w/ a tolex case. I detune the bass a half step, and made sure my bass is packed snugly in my case w/ NO empty spaces. Afterward, I wrapped my case w/ bubble wrap, and place it inside a hard cardboard box. You can ask any music store if they have any cardboard boxes laying around in the back of storage. Declare your luggage fragile, and pray to god, or voodoo that it'll never end up like a Taylor guitar.

Edit: Don't assume that you'll have spaces in the cabin to put your bass. Planes are always over booked, and if god forbid that there's no room, you're screwed. Calling a head may not always help, because the only person that have the final say is the person that checks your luggage.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Jun 24, 2010,
I would check with the airline ahead of time before making a purchase. I have never had to fly with an instrument but I assume you would need to bring it as a carry-on since you can't store it with the normal luggage.

And I must say, I like the way "Holiday" sounds way better than "Vacation".
I'd be cautious entrusting something like that with an airline. I'd make sure it was well protected.

The other option is to ship it to yourself from America, and to put a "gift" stamp on it. That way, you avoid being stunned with import duty.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd be cautious entrusting something like that with an airline. I'd make sure it was well protected.

The other option is to ship it to yourself from America, and to put a "gift" stamp on it. That way, you avoid being stunned with import duty.

Courier service like Fedex, and UPS aren't any better than airline. In all honesty, I think it's worse. The bass will be handed from one handler to another more often than you want before it ever touch the belly of a plane. And when it arrives to the destination, it'll go through the same process before it arrives to the door step of your house.

Gift or not, you're still going have to pay tax on any item if the custom gets a hand on it. If you under declare the value of your item to evade tax, and when your item got damaged in transport; the courier service will only insure to the amount you declare.
Last edited by Skeletomania at Jun 24, 2010,
I don't mind having to pay to have it checked, and I would buy a proper case for it anyway. I was just reading somewhere earlier that you have to speak to your airline first to make sure they have space in the cargo area or something. Also can you give examples of a case that meets TSA standards?

And yeah probaby bass central, I'm just gonna have a look around when I get a chance. I'm not going specifically to get a bass just if I see something that, you know really says 'buy me!' I'll get it.
Cheers
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
just don't skimp on a hard case (I mean get pretty much the best one there), put stickers and stuff on it and possibly even scuff the corners slightly, take it with you on the flight (check it in or whatever) while pretending you've had it for years.

EDIT: I mean put stickers and scuff the hard case, not the bass
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by LD1992
I don't mind having to pay to have it checked, and I would buy a proper case for it anyway. I was just reading somewhere earlier that you have to speak to your airline first to make sure they have space in the cargo area or something. Also can you give examples of a case that meets TSA standards?

And yeah probaby bass central, I'm just gonna have a look around when I get a chance. I'm not going specifically to get a bass just if I see something that, you know really says 'buy me!' I'll get it.
Cheers

TSA standards are just specific locks that they can open. All new MIA Fender comes w/ those TSA hard shell case. Actually, any type of case will do if you don't lock it. When you fly international, each passenger can only check in two luggage. As long as your bass is counted as a luggage; you don't have to pay extra.
Last time I flew transatlantic with Virgin Atlantic I saw loads of people with guitars as hand luggage! I'm sure you'll have no problem, just ring your airline beforehand and check.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i have flown with a bass as my carryon, they stored it with the strollers and such, got a few dings but made it out alright
the airline should be fine with you bringing it but make sure you protect it adequately
Alright guys. thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can get away with.
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH