Ok, so I'm looking for an overdrive and a distortion pedal or some sort of combo of the two, to drive my Crate V16. I need the distortion to get to some metal tones that I can't achieve with the amp itself, the overdrive is for a nice boost to get some nice compressed tube sound. My budget is $200 USD.

Here are some things I've been looking at.

The ZVex Vexter box of rock as both OD and Dist.
The Fulltone OCD.
The MXR M116 Fullbore Metal.
The MXR M115 Distortion III.

Thoughts, opinions?
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
As I Lay Dying, Mors Principium Est, Wintersun, Arsis, All That Remains.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
i don't have one but i really like what i've heard of the OCD. if you get one let me know how it sounds with the Russian muff.

EDIT: check out the EHX Metal Muff. it sounds sweet.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-103840526-i1165447.gc
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Last edited by crzysnowborder at Jun 23, 2010,
Fulltone OCD. Do it.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Ok, so the OCD is the answer to overdrive, but what about distortion?

What's better for some full out metal tones, the Fullbore Metal, Distortion III, or the Metal Muff?
The zvex box of rock sounds awesome from the demo's i've watched, I would definitely check one out if you get the chance.
A barber dirty would be a good option for the distortion, and for overdrive, a catalinbread dirty little secret should do the job.
If you can afford it, A wampler triple wreck would be the best for the distortion, but it's a bit pricey (but it does sound friggin awesome)
Of those distortions I've only tried the Metal Muff and hated it, the stuff that you like to listen too is very tight and brutal distortion, you won't get that from the metal muff. I has the word muff in it because that's what is sounds like. I never actually did find a metal pedal I liked so I bought an amp that could put out the distortion instead. For OD i'm loving my maxon od9.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Last edited by fnichols1 at Jun 24, 2010,