Page 1 of 2
As my title sugests i've got 400 dollars and i need an new amp.
Requirements:
-Tube
- Just a Head
- Between 15w and 60w
- Bluesy Tone
I Prefer:
-Two Channel (clean/overdrive)
-Can use Footswitch
Any suggestions are helpful
P.S. since im building a cab, any suggestions for a budget (under$100) speaker would be helpful too
I played a 15w Artisan Combo a few months back when I was in Dallas. It was a bangin' Blues Amp. Break Up was great, just warming up the old twang of the "T-Bone Walker" Style. There's always a hope that you could find a vintage Fender Black or Silverface on the CL market.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
jet city JCA20, bugera V55HD
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The Jet City JCA20 is pretty solid for the money in my opinion.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
I'm waiting for an old Dean Markley cd60 to come up on Ebay... and i liked the Bugera v22... oh yeah i forgot to mention im using a Deluxe players strat, a digitech rp355 and a Line 6 spider III 15
Quote by natehimself
a used fender amp.

/thread

Don't do that.

TS, I agree you should check out that Jet City JCA20. I've heard good things.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Jun 24, 2010,
The jca20 is hybrid right... if so how does that affect tone as opposed to an all tube
also, I've been looking at the orange tiny terror heads, any opinions?
Last edited by Godfather7 at Jun 24, 2010,
on guitar center's website it says solid state rectifier
I'm planning on building a custom cab with a Jensen C12Q 35W 12" in it
Last edited by Godfather7 at Jun 24, 2010,
rectifier is in the power supply, not in the signal path. the large majority of tube amps are solid state rectified. all marshalls outside of the jtm45 are all solid state rectified.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
The Jet City JCA20 is pretty solid for the money in my opinion.

this
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I second the Bugera V55h
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by SLonergan
Don't do that.

TS, I agree you should check out that Jet City JCA20. I've heard good things.

na

Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by Godfather7

I'm planning on building a custom cab with a Jensen C12Q 35W 12" in it

good speaker. i have an amp with one of those.
does blues nice for a $50 speaker.

so 2 channels, bluesy tone $400? (lets toss the jet city out, night train, tweaker etc)

Traynor YCV40 used. or YCV20 used.

that's where i'd start looking. you could also get a PV classic 30 but you would have to get a tweed one. or you're doing it wrong. i'd rather have the traynor but a lot of people get along nice with the peavey. it's just not my taste is all. try it too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I played a Jet City and was not all that impressed. Thin and lacked character. See if you can find a used Classic 30 or maybe a Vox Night Train.

PS: how do you run an Digitech RP350 into a Spider?
aw man, anything in particular more in particular about the JC? I'm still waiting for mine to come in to try it. I actually had the same thoughts about the Classic 30 being too thin and lacking character, especially at stage volumes. If the JC doesn't do it for me, I'll return it for something like a Night Train or Egnater rebel. Only thing I don't like about those amps is that they SOUND like small amps, none of them have that big, open sound of a larger head (which might be asking too much from a 15-20 watt amp). Also, the NT has this harshness and fizzyness in the highs that I just could not dial out no matter what. But then again, I've never gotten to REALLY open one up on the volume.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 24, 2010,
Guitar>Rp355>amp
the traynor and Peavy look sick nut nobody carries them around where i live
i tried a tweaker but i just didn't sound good to me and the EQ knobs hardly work
you would have to look used to find them in budget.

what is the nearest major city to you?
Albany... our guitar center sucksv for amps they only have fender marshall line 6 vox and ravens on the floor on occasion they'll have a jet city or egnater
lol there is both a classic 30 and ycv20 on your craigslist for $200 and less, but both are in need of a tech. that could be a complete win or loss depending on what the tech says. there is also a tech that posted so there you go.

if you don't feel great about testing those waters i would just hang back and see what comes up. both those amps should be $300 in good working order, maybe a bit more for the traynor.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/1787054251.html
http://albany.craigslist.org/msg/1799058599.html
+1 Greg

Andrew - maybe I just hit it on a bad day, because I could not figure out what all the hype was about. I know they are recommended a lot. Maybe I should try it again. If you end up exchanging it I would seriously give the Egnater Tweaker a hard look. I bet you'd love that amp.
the tweaker is good. I liked the jca20. It's not got as many usable sounds as the tweaker though. I hated the night train.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
back to the Bugera V55hd, I've heard you have to change the tubes on that because the ones that come stock are crap, is that true?
Quote by Godfather7

i tried a tweaker but i just didn't sound good to me and the EQ knobs hardly work

my experience is quite the opposite.

albeit i've only played the head through several different great cabs. i will say that the cab/speaker can make a world of difference. all have been closed back cabs.

also, swapping out the power tubes to what you play makes a big difference. i have el34s in mine now and it's a growling beast. for cleans i tend to prefer 6L6s. the compressed 6v6s also have their own thing going on. so it's really a matter of taste.

but i do find the eq's to be quite responsive, especially compared to my marshalls.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I played a Jet City and was not all that impressed. Thin and lacked character. See if you can find a used Classic 30 or maybe a Vox Night Train.

PS: how do you run an Digitech RP350 into a Spider?

i have both the jet city and the classic 30, i like the jet city better.

however, for this kind of application, the classic 30 is probably the more fitting option. got 2 channel and i think it is more blusey. jca is a very solid one channel amp IMO, i thought it sang when i had it cranked the first time i tried it. unlike guitar center, i dont have a soundproof room, so i rarely get to turn mine way up. jca can be a little thin at low volumes, but is nice when running hot.

though thats pretty much how i feel about the C30 as well. little thin at lower volumes, but sounds good when turned up. ive always just found it more of an amp that does a bunch of things decently, but doesnt really excell at anything. of course not much in that price range excells at anything.
Quote by jof1029
i have both the jet city and the classic 30, i like the jet city better.

however, for this kind of application, the classic 30 is probably the more fitting option. got 2 channel and i think it is more blusey. jca is a very solid one channel amp IMO, i thought it sang when i had it cranked the first time i tried it. unlike guitar center, i dont have a soundproof room, so i rarely get to turn mine way up. jca can be a little thin at low volumes, but is nice when running hot.

though thats pretty much how i feel about the C30 as well. little thin at lower volumes, but sounds good when turned up. ive always just found it more of an amp that does a bunch of things decently, but doesnt really excell at anything. of course not much in that price range excells at anything.
I feel like thats pretty common amongst el-34 amps. I'd really love to see a 6v6 version of the JCA20. That'd be pretty sweet. I have no reservations about having to run the amp loud though, I've been running my JTM45 on 10 pretty much since the day I go it and I just either suck it up or wear ear plugs. My music room is soundproofed so it doesn't really bother anyone else. Most clips I've heard of the amp with the volume up and the power section breaking up sound really good. A really 3-d, purring kind of tone.
actually i was just about to post that the budget just went up to $600, i don't need the amp until September so that means that more time to raise money for this amp. So any new suggestions?
yea, keep an eye on clist. another good rock/blues amp in that $600 range is a fender supersonic.
I like Traynor amps. Never played that one but i'm sure it is good quality. I'm guessing rock and thrash for gain limit. That B52 AT will have a ton of gain. Do it. I swear. If you don't like it I will buy it off you.

Ok maybe not. Do it anyway. PS: keep tabs on craigslist and ask us here if you are not usre k?
Page 1 of 2