So I have a dimarzio d activator x pickup in my Ibanez, in combination with my Ibanez amp, but I've noticed I don't get the pinch harmonics that I should. I know my amp will pump out good pinch harmonics, because friends guitars do just fine. I also know I wired it properly.

Could it be that my volume and tone pots are limiting the harmonics? It's a lower end Ibanez...
Last edited by shredder2be93 at Jun 23, 2010,
You should already have 500k pots, any lower, like 250k or 25k will sound too dark.

Make sure the pickup is close enough to the strings, about 1/8th of an inch distance when fretting the highest fret (22 or 24) on the 6th string.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Honestly, its probably the amp. Ibanez make great guitars, but their amps arent very good.
ask your friend to try out some pinch harmonics using your guitar.

maybe you're just not as good as him at doing them.

Also perhaps you need to do them in a different area now as you've changed the pickups and they might respond different
The set up of the guitar could defenitely have some effect in it. Some pickups get better harmonics in general. A million factors could affect your harmonics (intonation being a primary concern), but I don't honestly think it would be your pots.

Take your guitar to a luthier, try it again. See what happens.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Your tone knob might not be up all the way, or your gain might be lower than usual.

I've found with my amp, that when the pre-gain is just half a number lower, pinch-harmonics are almost non-existent.
Volume pots are waaaaay down the list of things you should be worried about.
Technique
Technique
Technique
Guitar setup
Pickups, and
Technique
Are the things you should be looking at first.
Quote by Roc8995
Technique
Technique
Technique
Guitar setup
Pickups, and
Technique

What he said
Quote by Roc8995
Technique
Technique
Technique
Guitar setup
Pickups, and
Technique
I'm wondering where one even gets the idea that the volume pot is the issue.
Quote by al112987
I'm wondering where one even gets the idea that the volume pot is the issue.

if someone thinks that hes,

a)technique is good
b)amp is good
c)distortion is good
d)and hes better than some friend who managed to play some pinch harmonics...

thats when he starts to think about volume pots...

honestly,volume pots?thats the least thing you have to worry about.
Quote by Roc8995
Technique
Technique
Technique
Guitar setup
Pickups, and
Technique

My technique is good. When playing friends guitars I can do pinch harmonics flawlessly. I spend a lot of time making sure I have them perfect, because they are so hard to get on my guitar. It is probably my setup, I don't think I have my pickup close enough. I know the pickup is good for pinch harmonics, that's the whole reason I bought it. My amp pumps out pretty good pinch harmonics on friends guitars as well.

I've had to re-wire my guitar many times, and the last time I did it something weird happened.

I can get my volume working, but then my tone knob won't work. Or, I can get the tone knob working, but the volume only works somewhat. The volume will cut off at zero, but once I go up to "one", the volume goes to maximum volume.
To get harmonics to ring out clearer you should actually lower your pickups, not raise them. The increased magnetic pull from raising the pickup will dampen harmonics (plus reduce sustain and generally muddy your tone). Raising the height of the bridge saddles can also help.

As far as the control pots go, yes, these can actually reduce various frequencies enough to the point where your amplifier won't really, well, amplify them. It's very rarely the volume pot though, it's much more like to be the tone pot where the combination of the pot and the capacitor at the same point has a much stronger effect. That said, the difference in pot/capacitor choke between higher and lower values is very little and isn't anywhere near a strong enough effect to kill your harmonics completely. If you really can't get pinch harmonics to ring out at all then that's more of a technique/string issue.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by shredder2be93
My technique is good.

I can get my volume working, but then my tone knob won't work. Or, I can get the tone knob working, but the volume only works somewhat. The volume will cut off at zero, but once I go up to "one", the volume goes to maximum volume.

I believe that your technique is good, it's just that we often get pinch harmonic threads here and 90% of the time someone's just looking to patch up shoddy technique with new gear. I just had to check.

This sounds strange, is your tone pot stuck perhaps all the way down? That might do it, though you'd probably notice.
Quote by Roc8995

This sounds strange, is your tone pot stuck perhaps all the way down? That might do it, though you'd probably notice.

Nope. Like I said I had to rewire all of it, and I most likely wired something wrong. I tried it every way I could think of, but I have to pick between a working volume, or working tone. I stuck with having the tone pot work while having the volume always maxed.
Okay, maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but when was the last time you changed your strings?
Guitars:
Ibanez JS1200
PRS SE EG S/S/H
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535q
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Morley Little Alligator
Boss DD-6
Amp:
Carvin V3m
Carvin 212 cab
Like a month ago. I've tested it with new strings before :/ I'm going to test it on a different amp and then adjust the pickups I suppose.
when u turn down ur volume knob, you're actually cutting your volume out of your guitar by quite a bit. if there's not much volume, then the amp cannot amplify the sound.

also, whenever you turn down your volume, you lose treble. it's just like that. you can put a treble bypass cap on ur volume pot, but those still sound a bit off. from my experiment, with a 470p cap, volume knob from 7~9 is so muddy, when 1~6 sounds normal. with a 1000p cap, 7~9 is acceptable, but 1~6 sounds very sparkly. sometimes it's good, but sometimes it's not. it's hard to control the tone and volume knobs at the same time. and the tone knob doesn't cover the same frequency range as the treble loss in your volume knob. so it's hard haha.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard