So this guy I know gave me this amp a while back. It's a Peavey Solo Series Bandit.

What I would like to know is...
1. More about the amp. I can't find much about it.
When I got it, the ground on the plug in was cut off so i had to replace the plug so it would stop shocking the hell out of me. It also had a busted speaker, it now has a car audio speaker thanks to my uncle

2. Everyone tells me I need a new amp and I'm starting to believe them....would this one be better than my Marshall MG30DFX?

What are your guys' opinions on this amp? Should I fix it up and use it as my main amp? Or sell it at my local guitar shop? Either way would be doing it good because as of now it sits in my corner collecting dust.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Quote by offthewall91
So this guy I know gave me this amp a while back. It's a Peavey Solo Series Bandit.

When I got it, the ground on the plug in was cut off so i had to replace the plug so it would stop shocking the hell out of me. It also had a busted speaker, it now has a car audio speaker thanks to my uncle

2. Everyone tells me I need a new amp and I'm starting to believe them....would this one be better than my Marshall MG30DFX?

What are your guys' opinions on this amp? Should I fix it up and use it as my main amp? Or sell it at my local guitar shop? Either way would be doing it good because as of now it sits in my corner collecting dust.

Dude, a swarm of bees sounds better than an MG. The bandit's a great amp for cleans and low to mid gain stuff. For metal, you'll need a dirt box in front of the amp but that shouldn't be huge issue. I had one for a bit and it was a fantastic amp, but it wasn't the sound I was looking for. That's not a bad thing - I'd sell a handwired Vox for the same reason (if I could afford a handwired vox in the first place... sigh...)

That said you're going to want to change out that speaker ASAP. There's people here who know way more about that than me, but fix up that amp and it's a thing of beauty.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Dude, a swarm of bees sounds better than an MG. The bandit's a great amp for cleans and low to mid gain stuff. For metal, you'll need a dirt box in front of the amp but that shouldn't be huge issue. I had one for a bit and it was a fantastic amp, but it wasn't the sound I was looking for. That's not a bad thing - I'd sell a handwired Vox for the same reason (if I could afford a handwired vox in the first place... sigh...)

That said you're going to want to change out that speaker ASAP. There's people here who know way more about that than me, but fix up that amp and it's a thing of beauty.

That's what every one keeps telling me. =/ I've not had the opportunity to listen or play through any better sounding amps than that, which is really sad so maybe that's why it sounds fine to me.

Maybe the speaker is why is sounds weird at the moment but when my uncle fixed it...I couldn't afford anything other than that speaker so yeah....and after that I got the Marshall and I stuck the Bandit in the corner. =/
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

I'd say the Peavey Bandit is much better than an MG. I haven't done a side-by-side of the two, but I do know that I liked the Bandit and hated the MG.

Quote by FrustratedRocka
Dude, a swarm of bees sounds better than an MG.

You're saying he should take up the Vuvuzela?
Well For starters I should Mention that this Amp is not a Bandit 65 or 112 it just says Solo Series Bandit. So I am assuming this was the one Peavey made before them?

From what you guys are telling me, it might be worth my wild to take it in to the closest guitar shop and have them tune it up and put a different speaker in it. As for Selling the Marshall.....I don't think I'll do that right now for the sole fact that if I get the Bandit in tip top shape and for some reason it dies on me I don't want to be without an amp for a while =/
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

I think the only reason I bought the Marshall anyway was 1. The Bandit had a busted speaker at the time. 2. My other Amp was A Fender Frontman 15g 3. The Marshall has on board effects. 4. The Marshall is purple.

Speaking of the Bandit....Here is what it looks like. And the Flash from my Blackberry makes it easy to see that the speaker is a Lighting audio. -__-
Seeing as the file was too large to attach here is a link to the pic....
http://twitpic.com/1zifvu
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by Alex Vik
I'd say the Peavey Bandit is much better than an MG. I haven't done a side-by-side of the two, but I do know that I liked the Bandit and hated the MG.

You're saying he should take up the Vuvuzela?

Don't even mention that thing... my little brother just ordered one from south africa.

EDIT: Try warehouse guitar speakers and eminence if you're looking for a good speaker. Those are fairly cheap and will run you about 70 bucks IIRC.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by offthewall91

my old teacher used a bandit. he plays jazz fusion. they are a pretty good clean amp. at the very least it was a good practice amp. **** it, if you arent gigging then **** a new amp. the MG is just as good as anything else to practice on. all you need is your guitar to be a louder so you can hear your mistakes. just put the MG on the clean channel and keep practicing. when you really need an amp, come back.

EDIT: didnt realize that you already have the bandit. just buy a new speaker for it. keep the MG. or you could sell the MG and probably barely get enough for a nice speaker. personally, i would just keep playin the MG as a practice amp. who fukcin cares. its practice.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Jun 24, 2010,
I wasn't planning on selling the MG anytime soon anyway. =/ Anyone have a clue how old that amp is?

What speaker would you guys suggest would be the best to install?
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Another question....At the moment it sounds like it has the bass on 10 when it's really on 0. It has an extremely deep tone no-matter what the settings are. Could that be the speaker?
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

So I found this speaker, It's a replacement Jensen C12N 50W. It seems pretty nice and it's in my price range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jensen-C12N-50W-12---Replacement-Speaker-665005-i1153762.gc

Anyone know anything about these speakers? Or have any experience with them?
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by offthewall91
So I found this speaker, It's a replacement Jensen C12N 50W. It seems pretty nice and it's in my price range.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jensen-C12N-50W-12---Replacement-Speaker-665005-i1153762.gc

Anyone know anything about these speakers? Or have any experience with them?

IIRC the Bandit is 65 watts so I'd suggest looking for a 75 watt speaker, something more along the lines of
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Eminence-Red-Coat-The-Governor-12--Guitar-Speaker-660044-i1153617.gc
there is a speaker thread that has good descriptions on popular speakers worth looking into
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 25, 2010,
I don't think the Bandit I have is a 65w I think it's just a 50. =/ I'm pretty sure it was the Bandit amp that came out before the 65.

Would the speaker you linked still work pretty well with it? or would that be a bit too much?
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
my old teacher used a bandit. he plays jazz fusion. they are a pretty good clean amp. at the very least it was a good practice amp. **** it, if you arent gigging then **** a new amp. the MG is just as good as anything else to practice on. all you need is your guitar to be a louder so you can hear your mistakes. just put the MG on the clean channel and keep practicing. when you really need an amp, come back.

EDIT: didnt realize that you already have the bandit. just buy a new speaker for it. keep the MG. or you could sell the MG and probably barely get enough for a nice speaker. personally, i would just keep playin the MG as a practice amp. who fukcin cares. its practice.

I would actually kind of say the opposite. You appreciate an amp's tone more when you're playing on your own, and often at lower volumes if you have an amp that doesn't need to be cranked because it's not blaring in your ears.

In a lot of live venues with a less than ideal set up, you can barely tell the difference between a Fender Frontman and a tube stack.

In a more controlled environment it's very obvious how some amps differ tonally.
Personally I can't stand Bandits but I'd still choose one way before an MG.

Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I would actually kind of say the opposite. You appreciate an amp's tone more when you're playing on your own, and often at lower volumes if you have an amp that doesn't need to be cranked because it's not blaring in your ears.

Except when you are on your own it doesn't matter. Can you spell self-indulgence?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 26, 2010,
IMO the old peavey bandits are a lot better than the new ones, and worlds better than any MG
Quote by handbanana
IMO the old peavey bandits are a lot better than the new ones, and worlds better than any MG

It is an old one, I'm fairly certain it's from the early 80's, but with the speaker that's in it right now my MG sounds 1000 times better than it does right now. =/
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

There's nothing wrong with a Peavey Bandit, and with a good overdrive to beef the distortion, it can sound great. I would rather have a Peavey Bandit than many high-priced combos around, for metal at least.
Quote by handbanana
is it the teal stripe or red stripe series? or neither?

Here is a picture of it.

http://twitpic.com/1zifvu
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

looks like the teal series, thats a real old one. should be a good amp though, change the speaker out, what kind of speaker is that in there anyway?
Quote by handbanana
looks like the teal series, thats a real old one. should be a good amp though, change the speaker out, what kind of speaker is that in there anyway?

That would be a 750w car audio speaker.

I'm looking into Eminence Speakers at the moment for it. I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Quote by handbanana
well that explains why it sounds terrible

Indeed. It sounds like it has so much bass on it it's ridiculous.

I'm thinking a Eminence Red Coat "The Governor" speaker because I'm pretty sure that's a 12" speaker.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

That would be a 750w car audio speaker.

Haha. Man they need to school people about speakers before they're allowed buy an amp. Guitar speakers are specifically mid range focused and roll off the highs to get that "smooth tube like sound". It must sound like the most amazingly fizzy crap(even a Dumble amp would).
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Haha. Man they need to school people about speakers before they're allowed buy an amp. Guitar speakers are specifically mid range focused and roll off the highs to get that "smooth tube like sound". It must sound like the most amazingly fizzy crap(even a Dumble amp would).

Indeed. I have had that amp a few years and when I was looking for a new speaker my intention was to buy an actual guitar amp speaker. Well I was about 15 and I believed my uncle when he said "Lets just throw a 750w car audio speaker in there. It'll do just as good if not better" So at the time I believed him. Now I kinda wished I hadn't.

And yes it does sound like crap at the moment. But not fizzly crap, it sounds like a car audio system turned up on full bass. I seriously can't even stand to turn it on right now.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

i put a car speaker in a tiny SS Gorilla practice amp once and it sounded quite good. Well, it sounded better than it did with the original speaker before it ripped. Of course that was a really crap amp with a really crap speaker, the car speaker seemed to compensate for the deficiencies of the amp itself. I was just lucky I guess. No way I'd try it with a real amp - even a Bandit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
i put a car speaker in a tiny SS Gorilla practice amp once and it sounded quite good. Well, it sounded better than it did with the original speaker before it ripped. Of course that was a really crap amp with a really crap speaker, the car speaker seemed to compensate for the deficiencies of the amp itself. I was just lucky I guess. No way I'd try it with a real amp - even a Bandit.

I think the Bandit sounded better with the busted speaker than it does with this speaker.

Since the amp is a 50w would it hurt if I put a 75w speaker in?
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

use the speaker out of your MG until you score a new one
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack
use the speaker out of your MG until you score a new one

I thought about it, but the Bandit has a 12" speaker and the MG has a 10"

Suggestions on a speaker? I'm thinking Eminence but there are so many, and I'm not too knowledgeable about them.
Quote by Carmel

Quote by darkwolf291

Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 27, 2010,