I'm relatively new to playing guitar. I'm currently playing a epiphone les Paul standard and I need to replace the strings. I play classic/hard rock, but also sone blues/jazz. Does it matter what kind of strings to buy, or do they all achieve about the same?
Can never really go wrong with .10s, I've talked with people who've played for over 50 years and they say .10s are the best. Not sure about brands though, I just hate D'Addario. Half the sets I've gotten from them break within a week.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
All preference. I use D'Addario's, I dont like Ernie Balls. Gauge depends on what tuning you use and also preference too. For E standard, 9s or 10s, I use 9s because the tension feels right, but the feel will change from guitar to guitar. 9s on my JPM are slightly stiff, but on one of my other guitars, they bend very easily.
Get 9 or 10 gauge.

I always stick with D'Addario, Ernie Balls get dirty and brake all the time.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I love Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. They're 9s, great for David Gilmour style bendy playing. They're great.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I'm a huge Fan Of earnie balls, bit it's all preference

go for sizes 10 or 9 tho, you should test put multiple brands /styles
It's all preference and what tuning you use. My favorite strings are Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys. But then again, I play in Drop C and D standard. For E, I would use 10's like everybody above recommended.

Different brands have different tones and longevity. Some strings will sound brighter, and others warmer. Also, heavier strings are better for more aggressive playing styles, and lighter strings are better if you use a lot of vibrato.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Would Power Slinkys(11-48) be good for Standard tunning?
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Skinny top/heavy bottom (10-52) or just ten's... if you wanna be normal. >
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by BoL7z
10-52s elixirs /thread.

+1

Elixir Nanowebs: Best strings I've ever used. They are the smoothest strings ever, and unlike Ernie Ball strings, they don't rust easily at all. I've had a set for about 6 months, no rust (even though I live in a very humid area), and the strings still sound great. D'Addarios are OK, but I'm hooked on Elixir Nanowebs.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
the stock strings on my Martin have gotten rusted and arent exactly pleasing to the ear anymore. i want to replace them with coated strings. i've used Elixirs and DR extra lifes on my electric before and liked both of them. which brand makes better acoustic strings?