Mornin' UG.

I STILL havn't managed to buy an amp that I'm happy with, but I think I've narrowed it down.

I think I'm gonna go down the Mesa road as I like the general sound, they are very versatile amplifiers, which is what I'm after, they tend to have nice clean sounds aswell as nice smooth distortion sounds. From what I've read they are built very well and are pretty reliable, I havn't really read a bad thing about the company.

They are very expensive however, and so I'm gonna need to look for some good condition used amps, I have a budget of £1000 (UK) absolute maximum, although I would prefer £700-800, but If I found an amazing deal, I'd go the whole grand.

So far in my price range I have found:

Rect-o-verb.
Single Rect.
F-50.
Express 5:50.
Mark III.
Mark IV.

I have watched numerous youtube demos and read many reviews on these amps, but I still can't really make up my mind, I'm also obviously open to other Mesa amp suggestions, and I'm not a fool so I'm not gonna say that I'm 100% set on one company, but this company does tend to catch my eye.

If it's a combo I'd prefer 1x12 as I've has 2x12 combos before and they're just too heavy. If it's a head then I also need to buy a cab with the same budget.

I havn't actually gone out and tried different Mesas yet, still trying to find a store near me that stocks them in a veriety, I hope to do that soon, I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can to settle my mind.

I really do play a wide veriety of music, clean post-rock stuff, blues & jazz, lightly overdriven soft or 'indie' rock, heavy rock, stoner rock, some metal. I don't need the amp to be able to play death/black metal or shitcore, but I would like it to get pretty heavy. So it needs to be a versatile amp. I have a few different guitars with different types of pick-ups and a Big Muff for fuzz.

I would like it to have 2 or more footswitchable channels, one nice clean one.
Reverb would be lovely, footswitchable would be even better (but I rarely turn the verb off so that wont matter too much).
FX loops are nice.

Suggestions, help, information, links, etc. requested.

Any help is greatly appriciated and I hope that my everlasting search for my amp will soon be over.

Thanks

Fuzz.

x
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Mark IV is probably the best if everything you just listed. I'd seriously consider that one for what your after if you can find one. It'll last forever if you treat it right too
Ive used both the mark iv and the recto-verb both amazing imo the mark iv is more versatile and overall better than the recto-verb, but for what you want i think the recto-verb would suit you nicely plus youd save a little cash.
But if it was me id go with the mark iv as it suits my playing styles better.
Also when looking to make this kind of purchase its best to do as much research as possible, and trying and testing is a must you cant go into buying amps blindly without actually hearing and feeling how they respond to your style.
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 24, 2010,
Versatility = Mark IV. Great cleans, great leads, best amp ever IMO.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
the mark IV is nice i would go for it.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
+1 to Mark IV, make sure its a IVB though, the IVA doesnt have footswitchable reverb. You can tell the B from the A by looking to see if the power cable is hard wired or removable. Removable means its a B. That or just look for the reverb footswitch jack on the back
You'll also need a separate footswitch for the reverb, its not on the normal footswitch.
Although, if you dont need that much gain, the Express or a DC or .50cal+ might be worth a look too. I'd try them and see which you like best, the IV is probably the most versatile.
the IV is the best for what you want but i doubt you could find a good quality one used for under £1000 combo or head with a cab tbh
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Yeah, I was pretty sure that the Mark IV would be the choice of most people out of the ones I named

It's also the most expensive though, but I've seen one advertised for less than grand, I'm not sure weather it's an A or a B though, I'll check that out, I'd like footswitchable reverb, but I wouldn't die without it. The fixed power lead instead of a kettle lead would do my head in though.

Only thing I'm worried about is that it's abit too complicated, it's got loads of knobs and buttons and stuff, which suggests that it might be hard to dial in what I want easily, but maybe not. The Rectoverb looks simple to use, and also looks abit nicer visually too, but I'm not sure exactly how they compare tone wise.

I'd like a lot of gain, like I said, not death metal, but still a fair amount of gain.

I should be going out in the morning to a shop to test some Mesas out, I gotta ring them and check which ones they have in store first though, so hopefully I'll be closer to my decision later on today.

Also, I saw Coheed & Cambria tonight, they were using a Mesa amp I believe, sounded pretty sweet, so yeah I'm definatly digging the Mesa.

Anyone else wanna put in their two cents?

PS: Acoustic Mirror, a sig/x? haha.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
It's also the most expensive though, but I've seen one advertised for less than grand, I'm not sure weather it's an A or a B though, I'll check that out, I'd like footswitchable reverb, but I wouldn't die without it. The fixed power lead instead of a kettle lead would do my head in though.

I wasnt listing the kettle lead as a selling point, its probably the easiest way to determine whether its an A or a B. Also, as far as I've seen, A's have the old style Mesa/Boogie badge, where B's just say Boogie, but some early B's have the attached cable and Mesa/Boogie badge.
According to the Boogie Board, A's will have serial numbers between 0 an 6XXX, and will have 3 jacks for the stereo FX loop, where the A's have 4 jacks for 2 separate loops, and B's have the reverb footswitch and the Satellite Send.
Before purchasing, why not wait until the Bugera trirec gets released? Check it out and you might just save yourself some money.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by littlephil

I wasnt listing the kettle lead as a selling point, its probably the easiest way to determine whether its an A or a B. Also, as far as I've seen, A's have the old style Mesa/Boogie badge, where B's just say Boogie, but some early B's have the attached cable and Mesa/Boogie badge.
According to the Boogie Board, A's will have serial numbers between 0 an 6XXX, and will have 3 jacks for the stereo FX loop, where the A's have 4 jacks for 2 separate loops, and B's have the reverb footswitch and the Satellite Send.

Haha, I know you wasn't :P
Just saying that not being able to remove the power cable would be slightly annoying.
Cheers for the info though dude, I'll check all that if I end up going to look at used IVs.

About the Bugera, the brand has never really appealed to me, being Behringer products I worry about the quality and how long they will last, but I won't completly rule it out. So when is the Bugera Trirec released? I've also never seen Bugeras sold anywhere in-store in the UK.

Choosing amps is no fun haha, I wish I had loads of money, I'd get someone to build me my dream amp.

EDIT: I also have a feeling that a 100w amp would be too loud, and so I'd not be able to turn it up much, and so it might not sound as good as it could. 50 watts seems to appeal to me more.
Last edited by FuzzLove at Jun 25, 2010,
^The Mark IV is 85 watts, but you can run it in Tweed Power mode, which reduces the power, and the Class A switch lets you use the 2 outer tubes only, and you can run it in Triode mode, which in Class A will give you around 30 watts.
Class A isn't really what I'm after, I'm not really an expert on this, but I've done some reading about amp classes and A/B sounds better to me.

85 watts will probably be too loud, the last amp I had was 60 watts, it was too loud.
I play in a band, but you know, you don't need a stupidly loud amp, I'll get miced.
At the moment all I have is a Fender Champ 12, which I believe is 15watts, that's too quiet, so I'm feeling that 30/50 would be pretty perfect. Who knows, I obviously understand that double that wattage isn't double the power etc. I'm just estimating. Also it needs to be loud enough for band practice, where I won't be miced up.

I like the fact that the mark series have graphic EQs, that's pretty cool, means that I probably won't need an EQ pedal, but that's not a deciding factor.

I just want an amp that sounds awsome clean, and sounds awsome distorted.

But I can't seem to find one, and it's driving me insane haha.

I just want the search to be over so I can be inspired once again.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yeah, I was pretty sure that the Mark IV would be the choice of most people out of the ones I named

Only thing I'm worried about is that it's abit too complicated, it's got loads of knobs and buttons and stuff, which suggests that it might be hard to dial in what I want easily, but maybe not. The Rectoverb looks simple to use, and also looks abit nicer visually too, but I'm not sure exactly how they compare tone wise.

I'd like a lot of gain, like I said, not death metal, but still a fair amount of gain.

I should be going out in the morning to a shop to test some Mesas out, I gotta ring them and check which ones they have in store first though, so hopefully I'll be closer to my decision later on today.

Also, I saw Coheed & Cambria tonight, they were using a Mesa amp I believe, sounded pretty sweet, so yeah I'm definatly digging the Mesa.

Anyone else wanna put in their two cents?

PS: Acoustic Mirror, a sig/x? haha.

what's wrong with a sig x? they is pretty cheap if you can find one and they are great. A little stiffer then my deliverance.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer

Just because its 85 watts doesnt mean it'll be loud all the time. I run mine at bedroom volumes and it still sounds great.
Quote by littlephil

Just because its 85 watts doesnt mean it'll be loud all the time. I run mine at bedroom volumes and it still sounds great.

+1

I play my Mark V at bedroom levels too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I didn't even know what a sig x was untill now, I've never seen those sold anywhere.

Cool, as long as the IV sounds good at low volumes
Newsflash.

I just got back from a nice little shop in the countryside.
There I played a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50, I liked it a lot, the cleans were awsome, nearly as good as that Fender twin that I had a while back, really impressed by them.
The distortion was also pretty impressive, especially with the countour feature.
This is the nearest amp to my dream amp that I have ever played through and I really like it. However it was £1429, £400 over my budget, The guy said that he can go down to £1370, but no lower.

I can borrow the money to buy this, but I'm undecided still.

On the way home I went into my local guitar shop to ask if they could get hold of this amp and possibly do it any cheaper, as it would make more sense to buy it from people that I'm familiar with, but they they can't get hold of Mesas at all.

While I was in there I got chatting and ended up trying some Blackstar valve distortion pedals, the HT dual, and the X-dist. The X was abit lame in my opinion, muddy sounding and over all not very impressive. The Ht-Dual however, was one of the best distortion pedals I'v ever heard, it was also used and very cheap, so I might snap that up at some point. I played these pedals through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe, the clean sound of the amp were pretty much on par with the Mesa really (I knew that already), I could tell that the pedal's OD was awsome, but played through this amp it lacked strength and power, definition and articulation, and just sounded nowhere near as good as the Mesa's distortion.

I'm wondering if there are any more higher range Fender amps that may sound a lot better with the pedal infront of it that the HRD did? Anyone know?

Also, I've found a shop that I can drive to who have a new Mesa F-50, must've been in the shop for a few years as it's discontinued now, it's at a fair price, it's the head version, so I'm considering trying to get this as cheap as they will do it, and then buying a Harley Benton Vintage 2x12 cab or something.

Does anyone have any information or opinions on how the Mesa Express 50 would compare to the Mesa F-50?

I know that the Express range replaced the F series, so I don't think they'll be drastically different, also I know that you can't switch the F to 5 watt mode like the express, aside from that though I know pretty much nothing about how they compare, so any info is greatly appriciated.

Thanks again guys
Look at the Electra Dyne. Probably my favorite mesa.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
That's not what I'm after I don't think, but thanks for the reply anyway.
Definitely look into it. I play lots of the same stuff you do, and it handles those genres quite nicely I think. The cleans are really nice and the overdrive sounds are highly versatile. I played one one and I was able to get some really great lightly overdriven sounds and then turn up the gain and play post-hardcore on a tele It also took pedals very nicely.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I think the Express is a weaker version of the F series amps. IIRC
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I think the Express is a weaker version of the F series amps. IIRC

Yep, I've heard this too. The Express replaced the F series.
Quote by FuzzLove
Mornin' UG.

I really do play a wide veriety of music, clean post-rock stuff, blues & jazz, lightly overdriven soft or 'indie' rock, heavy rock, stoner rock, some metal. I don't need the amp to be able to play death/black metal or shitcore, but I would like it to get pretty heavy. So it needs to be a versatile amp. I have a few different guitars with different types of pick-ups and a Big Muff for fuzz.

You just described the 5:50 or even the 5:25, to a T . I've tried both and I personally prefer the 5:25, but it might not be loud enough for you. Either of them are incredible amps and I'm going to be buying the 5:25 in about two weeks.

Here's a link to the 5:50 demo on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvatf2riOyM
Last edited by homer_simps1 at Jun 27, 2010,
Quote by FuzzLove
Newsflash.

I just got back from a nice little shop in the countryside.
There I played a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50, I liked it a lot, the cleans were awsome, nearly as good as that Fender twin that I had a while back, really impressed by them.
The distortion was also pretty impressive, especially with the countour feature.
This is the nearest amp to my dream amp that I have ever played through and I really like it. However it was £1429, £400 over my budget, The guy said that he can go down to £1370, but no lower.

Oops, didn't read this post. I say go with the 5:50 - it's what you're looking for. It's awesome, isn't it?

Here's a mint 5:25 on eBay. The guy ships international.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250654309728&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Last edited by homer_simps1 at Jun 27, 2010,